Chevy Nova Forum banner

1978 Nova Custom [pics]

14K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Dawn Shade 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been working on the Nova for a couple of months. Bought her in july 2008.

Here are a couple of pics how i bought her:

First burnout :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwx05MCEQng

It has a nice 350V8 and TH350 transmission. She didnt get much attention from the previous owner, i've given her a new air filter, new oil and oil filter.

Next up; new valve covers, spark plugs, plug wire and chrome stuff for the brake fluid and radiator pressurecap.

I found a nice garage near our house, the perfect spot for more work on the car.

Some bodywork on the front

Reshaping the rear fender

Removal of trim, emblems and chrome

There were a couple of spots under the vinyl roof that seem to grow larger every month, the roof had water leak issues so i decided to pull the top. Horror was found there. I've spend hours removing the glue and repairing the water damage. Looks like i'm not the first to do work on this car.

After pulling all the plastic from the interiour i made a painting spot underneath the sink in the toilet. Not everyone in the family was happy about it but they tolerated it for a couple of days.

Found mayor rust and crap in the kickpanels and the cowl is also in bad shape, i've decided not to use the existing cowl vents and am installing a new water plan (we dutch have this thing about rerouting water :)

Fresh painted doorpanels

The old headliner needed work, i decided to pull everything out and replaced it with bright red skai leather. The result is not perfect but it's okay.

The interieur will be all black, i spraypainted the seats with VHT dye (great stuff!).

Yesterday i layed on the first coat of rustoleum, and i think it will be allright. More sanding and rolling to do, i will post the results next week.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Thanks!

I've added another black coat last night, really happy about the result. I do not want to put all the chrome back on, it looks much better without it. I am in doubt about the front chrome, i dont want to put it back, but there's a huge gap where the chrome used to be, i could mount it back on and paint it black, what do you guys think?

#6 ·
More pics

Hello, here are more pictures. The coat is not finished, it needs more wetsanding and paint. New radio isnt working yet and my steeringpump (or hose) has a small leak but nothing serious. Driving/performance is great and the new plugs/wire have def. improved gas/milage, if i could stop putting my foot to the floor it would be even better. :)

#12 ·
Thanks!
I've used the Rustoleum Combicolor highgloss 9005 mixed with 1:1 thinner, applied 3 coats and sanded with 320 grit between each layer.

The last photo's show the result of 3 layers without polishing. When you look close there are many imperfections. I recently bought a polisher but have not found the time to finish the coat. I will sand of the remaining dust and peel one last time and apply one more coat before polishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.