Wide 295/50/r15s with Crager SS rims on a 70 Nova - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Wheels and Tires

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th-December-2016, 04:41 AM   #1
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1970 Nova 454
Wide 295/50/r15s with Crager SS rims on a 70 Nova

Hey guys, I am planning in advance what tires I want to get. I love the really wide tires, but will the 295's stick out past the rear fender normally? I believe they will from ones I have seen in the past, but I haven't done it myself. I have always heard that if that were a problem I could get wheels that are offset to pull the tires in under the fender. Here is where I humble myself. I am not sure what I would be looking for to make that work. I want to get Crager SS 15" rims and 295/50 tires. So what am I looking for to first get a rim to fit the 295 tires and secondly, to account for the offset to pull the rim inward? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th-December-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Pragmatist

Title: Nova Guru
Garage
I don't own a gen III nova but from what I've read a 295 tire will need a minitub at the least unless you want the car jacked up in the rear. This combined with a shortened axle would produce a nice dish and a really cool look.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 24th-December-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
I don't own a gen III nova but from what I've read a 295 tire will need a minitub at the least unless you want the car jacked up in the rear. This combined with a shortened axle would produce a nice dish and a really cool look.
Humm, I probably won't be able to put that much work into it. I have thought about raising the rear though and we are currently discussing that in another thread. We are trying to figure out the best way. I didn't think it would be that uncommon, but I am old school and way out of the loop. We're thinking maybe shackles and maybe air shocks. We shall see. Then with the 295 tires, that should look super cool and very retro late 70s.

Old 24th-December-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
86avon

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 69 454 62 vert 64 ht
Garage
had these on my 69 yes they stick out had shock line break bent wheel well lip
Old 24th-December-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86avon View Post
had these on my 69 yes they stick out had shock line break bent wheel well lip
Wait, can you give me more information. So I am assuming you had it raised with air shocks? Not sure what you meant. Then the shock broke and the car fell back down onto the tire? So air shocks are not a good way to go?

Do you have pictures of how it looked? Some were saying to get the springs rearched. Would that work? Also did you use shackles? Let me know man. I would love to see pictures too.

Lastly, would 275/60 r15s be a better fit?
Old 24th-December-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Mike Ward MB

Nova(s): 72 Nova SS 66 Beaumont S
I had 26x10-R15's on standard backset 8" Cragar SS wheels. With re-arced springs and overload shocks holding up the rear my tires were right at the lip of the fender and didn't rub, but the thing would rattle out my fillings at every bump.
I ordered 5⅜" backset wheels, which are not as expensive as you might think, replaced the overload shocks and moved them inboard. A much better ride and still looks good.
You won't fit the 295's in there without altering the inner fender.
Old 24th-December-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ward MB View Post
I had 26x10-R15's on standard backset 8" Cragar SS wheels. With re-arced springs and overload shocks holding up the rear my tires were right at the lip of the fender and didn't rub, but the thing would rattle out my fillings at every bump.
I ordered 5⅜" backset wheels, which are not as expensive as you might think, replaced the overload shocks and moved them inboard. A much better ride and still looks good.
You won't fit the 295's in there without altering the inner fender.
I am very curious to see how that looked. Please post pics. So all you did was rearched the springs? Does that require shackles or anything else and how much did that cost you?

What do you tell them when rearching? Did you just tell them how much of a lift you wanted and they knew what to do?

In terms of the tire size such as 295, what is 26x10 in comparison? If the 295s will stick out, how far? I am okay with a little sticking out. I was thinking maybe go with 275s instead just to be safe.
Old 24th-December-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
Mike Ward MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNovaSS396 View Post
Lastly, would 275/60 r15s be a better fit?
Due to the seemingly inconsistent fit and finish of these cars, it follows that what fits on one will not necessarily fit another. The 275 will be a tight fit but should tuck in there if the shock is moved inboard. It will take a lot of measuring and test fitting to be sure. Being a 28" tall tire will give you an inch of lift as a bonus.
Old 24th-December-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
Mike Ward MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNovaSS396 View Post
I am very curious to see how that looked. Please post pics. So all you did was rearched the springs? Does that require shackles or anything else and how much did that cost you?

What do you tell them when rearching? Did you just tell them how much of a lift you wanted and they knew what to do?

In terms of the tire size such as 295, what is 26x10 in comparison? If the 295s will stick out, how far? I am okay with a little sticking out. I was thinking maybe go with 275s instead just to be safe.
I had a 72 back in the 70's. I took the leafs off my car and in to the local spring shop. I asked for a two inch lift. I put them back on the car and installed extensions on the rear shocks. After driving it for a week or two and accidentally backing into someone (actually over someone), I took it back to the spring shop and asked them to raise the front. The result is what you see in the picture, nicest car I've ever owned.
I'm trying to do a more sophisticated version of the same thing with my current 72. It has had work done by a previous owner, so to get it right I'll be buying new springs so I know what I have and work from there.
The 295 is the same height but about an inch wider than the 26x10. The 275 is equivalent to a 28x10.5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0548.PNG
Views:	206
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	269818  
Old 25th-December-2016, 12:35 AM   #10
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ward MB View Post
I had a 72 back in the 70's. I took the leafs off my car and in to the local spring shop. I asked for a two inch lift. I put them back on the car and installed extensions on the rear shocks. After driving it for a week or two and accidentally backing into someone (actually over someone), I took it back to the spring shop and asked them to raise the front. The result is what you see in the picture, nicest car I've ever owned.
I'm trying to do a more sophisticated version of the same thing with my current 72. It has had work done by a previous owner, so to get it right I'll be buying new springs so I know what I have and work from there.
The 295 is the same height but about an inch wider than the 26x10. The 275 is equivalent to a 28x10.5
That's a really good looking lift. That seems to easily clear the tire. So if I had 295 on there they would stick out some, but we should still be okay right with doing what you did on the rear? If anything 275s might be more of an issue just due to the height of the tire right? 275s just barely might fit under the fender, but will potentially have less of a gap.

If anyone else has picture please post.
Old 30th-December-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
ss396rat

Nova(s): 1972
275 60 15 15x8 rim 5.5 backspace or buy a custom 5 1/4 backspace rim, they are on my car now

this is my video

Last edited by ss396rat; 30th-December-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 31st-December-2016, 07:26 AM   #12
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396rat View Post
275 60 15 15x8 rim 5.5 backspace or buy a custom 5 1/4 backspace rim, they are on my car now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djcQHCSNXs8 this is my video
Hey Thank you so much, that was really helpful.

I see you were facing some of the issues mostly due to getting those tires tucked under the fender and keeping it low. Well I am actually planning on raising the rear. From looking at the side of your car, I would probably raise mine so that there is about a 2" gap between the tire and wheel well lip. So with 275/60/15s would I even have to worry about a custom backspacing or could I buy more common options? I also don't mind if the tire is flush with the wheel well or even sticks out a tiny bit. My biggest concern would be the wheel well lip rubbing on the tires when hitting bumps. So let me know your thoughts on my setup please. Thanks.
Old 12th-January-2017, 07:12 AM   #13
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

I have an update here from some research. Apparently the 275/65/15s should fit just fine. Although both people I contacted did have heavy duty truck springs, or air shocks. In these pics you can see how 275s look on the Nova. I think it looks great. I still might want to go just ever so slightly larger to a 295. We will see though.

Old 12th-January-2017, 10:18 AM   #14
LS6rally

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1979 Nova Rally 4Spd
I thought 68-79 is basically the same in the rear, but maybe not. i had a 275/60 on my 79. 15x8 Weld prostars BS of 4.5" and it just fit in there nicely. fronts were 15x6, 3.5" BS. wheels sat even with each other on the outside of the car and i thought it looked great. not sure how 5.5 will look, im not sure i had another inch inboard of the tire for clearance from the shock.

are the 68-74 cars that much different?

Old 12th-January-2017, 10:20 AM   #15
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6rally View Post
I thought 68-79 is basically the same in the rear, but maybe not. i had a 275/60 on my 79. 15x8 Weld prostars BS of 4.5" and it just fit in there nicely. fronts were 15x6, 3.5" BS. wheels sat even with each other on the outside of the car and i thought it looked great. not sure how 5.5 will look, im not sure i had another inch inboard of the tire for clearance from the shock.

are the 68-74 cars that much different?

Very cool, yes that would be very helpful to know if someone else can confirm that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement