Carb Restoration - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Originality

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th-March-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
Joe Buddy
(OP)

Title: Nova Guru
Carb Restoration

How is a Holley carb body golden color restored? Is it plated or do they use a chemical conversion stabilization process? I have a Holley that I would like to restore and need to know what has to be done. I have seen a few that look like they were spray painted. I am hoping to get it done without having to send it out of state.

Check out the L 79 Carb. The last sentence says it is redyed like the original. I was hoping that a carb "go to guy" could tell us what he uses and where to get it.

http://www.allcarbs.com/detail.php?pid=1008

Last edited by Joe Buddy; 19th-March-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th-March-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
door

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 63 SS
Garage
Try Eastwood, they have just about everything you'll need for resto.
http://search.eastwood.com/search?p=...core&view=grid

Last edited by door; 19th-March-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 19th-March-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
l79Nova

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): Marina Blue 66 L79 SS
I'm having my Holley 3607 for the California L79 restored in Florida. Out of state obviously. I have a friend who has thousands of carbs collected over the years and he gave me the names of a few guys that were really good and did it right, but most in California, Jersey or Florida. He did not mention Arizona. If you want I can text him and see if he knows anyone in Arizona. Like I said he only mentioned guys he trusted to do it right. Not cheap either. Maybe 250 up plus shipping. Mine is 300 plus shipping both ways. ARRGGGG!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 19th-March-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Joe Buddy
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by l79Nova View Post
I'm having my Holley 3607 for the California L79 restored in Florida. Out of state obviously. I have a friend who has thousands of carbs collected over the years and he gave me the names of a few guys that were really good and did it right, but most in California, Jersey or Florida. He did not mention Arizona. If you want I can text him and see if he knows anyone in Arizona. Like I said he only mentioned guys he trusted to do it right. Not cheap either. Maybe 250 up plus shipping. Mine is 300 plus shipping both ways. ARRGGGG!
I might get back to you on that. There are a few guys here that do a good job on carbs but the guy I wanted to use just retired. I found a 3419 carb at the swap meet that I am hoping to use. I got it for $5.00. I was an engineer at Cape Canaveral and we had to use a chemical on aluminum conduit that turned it about the same color as a carb. It kept the salt air from corroding the aluminum conduit on the mobile service towers for the Titan IV's. I guess you know there are a few people that you don't want to send a carb to. I have a buddy that is a member here and also on the Corvette forum and he is checking with his sources for me. I can do a kit on one but I want the color to be right. Thanks for helping out.
Old 19th-March-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
snolan

Nova(s): 1967 Sedan LS1/T56
Holley

Guys, just had my carb done buy Tom Zeman ghostt performance in NY what a job this is for a Mustang but he does GM stuff also this guys has a a great rep for restoring carbs.

zmonster53@aol.com
(631) 581-2009
11 SUFFOLK LANE , EAST ISLIP , NEW YORK 11730

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19th-March-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
Joe Buddy
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snolan View Post
Guys, just had my carb done buy Tom Zeman ghostt performance in NY what a job this is for a Mustang but he does GM stuff also this guys has a a great rep for restoring carbs.

zmonster53@aol.com
(631) 581-2009

Outstanding Job. Is that his contact info at the top?

Last edited by Joe Buddy; 19th-March-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 19th-March-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
l79Nova

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): Marina Blue 66 L79 SS
Looks great. Go for it Buddy. My friend might have mentioned him also. My friend is probably on that Corvette forum as he finds hard to find stuff or it is in his inventory. He also owns a 57 vette. My carb is rare enough and he had three of them in his possession he had probably got 25 years ago. He just found a carb for a Shelby Cobra and had a guy restore it so it looked as it came on the car in 66 and was clean but not restored looking. A guy did it just right for him and the client was pleased. My friend is super knowledgeable about carbs. He looked at one I had and pointed out three things wrong that were not obvious to the normal person but looked correct.

Old 20th-March-2017, 04:57 AM   #8
bigdaddykane

Nova(s): 3rd gen Nova's
Quote:
Originally Posted by snolan View Post

zmonster53@aol.com
(631) 581-2009

how much did he charge you? and did he paint or re-plate your carb? thanks
Old 20th-March-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
Joe Buddy
(OP)

This puts a damper on what I want to do. If you read the Q&A's in the link it will speak volumes.

http://www.finishing.com/372/55.shtml
Old 20th-March-2017, 05:57 PM   #10
Joe Buddy
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by door View Post
Try Eastwood, they have just about everything you'll need for resto.
http://search.eastwood.com/search?p=...core&view=grid
The reviews are saying that gas is washing the paint off. Sounds like a clear coat may be needed.
Old 20th-March-2017, 06:30 PM   #11
snolan

Nova(s): 1967 Sedan LS1/T56
Carb

Its di-chromate not sure its considered plating same material Holley used i would call Tom and ask the question he a great guy, he always picks up the phone.

Steve

Old 20th-March-2017, 07:04 PM   #12
parkbrau

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 69 L78
Give Eric a try.

Here is his web site. This guy does outstanding work It will look like a piece of jewelry when you get it back.

http://vintagemusclecarparts.com/
Old 22nd-March-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
WILMASBOYL78

Post Holley Carb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkbrau View Post
Give Eric a try.

Here is his web site. This guy does outstanding work It will look like a piece of jewelry when you get it back.

http://vintagemusclecarparts.com/
That is the best advice you can ever get when it comes to carburetors. Eric is simply hands down the best in the business. he is widely know on the SYC and does outstanding work...customer service is second to none.

I have been using him for many years...don't even give it a second thought...just call him

-wilma

Join National Nostalgic Nova Today! Click on the link at the top of this page.
Old 24th-March-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Joe Buddy
(OP)

I went to the Falcon Warbirds hangar at Falcon Field and borrowed a bottle of Anodine chem conversion that is for aluminum. It does a perfect gold with pink and green patina on aluminum but was a big dud on zinc. I am waiting on a reply from a company in Michigan that has the coating for zinc die cast. I hope I can get a small quantity of the compound and see how it does . I'll post the findings if things work out. Later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement