Wide 295/50/r15s with Crager SS rims on a 70 Nova - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Wheels and Tires

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th-January-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
Gregs72

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1972 Chev Nova
I have a 17x9.5 5.5 back spacing with 275/40/17 on for street tires

and 15x8 with 5.5 back spacing but need a 1/4" spacer to clear the tail pipe with the 275/60/16 ET Street PRO Radials.

Wheel wells are all stock, shocks in OEM Location, stock width 8.5" 10 bolt car is also lowered 2" in the rear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th-January-2017, 06:21 PM   #17
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs72 View Post
I have a 17x9.5 5.5 back spacing with 275/40/17 on for street tires

and 15x8 with 5.5 back spacing but need a 1/4" spacer to clear the tail pipe with the 275/60/16 ET Street PRO Radials.

Wheel wells are all stock, shocks in OEM Location, stock width 8.5" 10 bolt car is also lowered 2" in the rear

Thank you Greg for your feedback. Looks great. I have never bought wheels and tires so is there a standard stock back spacing that I should be aware of and do I need to specifically request my own mathematical back spacing when ordering? Its like how does someone order a tire and wheel combo if they have no idea if they will fit under the wheel well? From what I saw on those last two Nova pics that I posted, they were using the 275/65/15s and one was nicely tucked under the rim and the other jacked up one had the wheel sticking out slightly past the rim. I guess it would be best to get a back spacing that would be tucked under the wheel whether I jack it up or keep it stock right?

Another question is, if I wanted to fit a 296/50/15 tire, would that tire also fit on the same wheel that has the 275/65/15? I think I want to start with 275s, but maybe go bigger after and I think it would be best to have a wheel that would allow me to do both. I do know that a wheel that fits a 275 can go with a smaller tires since this is exactly what we did on my Buick. Started with 275s and now has 255 that work just fine. Thanks for your help.
Old 14th-January-2017, 02:53 PM   #18
Mwilson904

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972 project
You definitely don't want to do this! I just picked up this project with 295/50/15 on rear without proper backspace.
I took them off and put rally rollers for now, it's a shame that someone had them on bouncing on the rear fenders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	273809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	273817  

Old 14th-January-2017, 04:57 PM   #19
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilson904 View Post
You definitely don't want to do this! I just picked up this project with 295/50/15 on rear without proper backspace.
I took them off and put rally rollers for now, it's a shame that someone had them on bouncing on the rear fenders.
I kind of think that looks crazy and cool at the same time. Yeah should be brought tighter inward, but man I love those tires. Do you have more pics of it with the 295s, maybe pics from previous owner or ones you took?
Old 16th-January-2017, 09:49 AM   #20
Gregs72

Nova(s): 1972 Chev Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNovaSS396 View Post
Thank you Greg for your feedback. Looks great. I have never bought wheels and tires so is there a standard stock back spacing that I should be aware of and do I need to specifically request my own mathematical back spacing when ordering? Its like how does someone order a tire and wheel combo if they have no idea if they will fit under the wheel well? From what I saw on those last two Nova pics that I posted, they were using the 275/65/15s and one was nicely tucked under the rim and the other jacked up one had the wheel sticking out slightly past the rim. I guess it would be best to get a back spacing that would be tucked under the wheel whether I jack it up or keep it stock right?

Another question is, if I wanted to fit a 296/50/15 tire, would that tire also fit on the same wheel that has the 275/65/15? I think I want to start with 275s, but maybe go bigger after and I think it would be best to have a wheel that would allow me to do both. I do know that a wheel that fits a 275 can go with a smaller tires since this is exactly what we did on my Buick. Started with 275s and now has 255 that work just fine. Thanks for your help.

There is no way a 295 will fit.....the tire i have under there is the absolute biggest tire that will fit in the wheel well......i had to "modify the inner wheel housing with a sledge hammer to fit......My wheel lip is un modified but even if it was rolled i couldnt get any bigger tire in there.

Most people use a 15x7 with 4.5" back spacing because its easy and fits.....the BIGGEST that fits under the wheel well without jacking the rear in the air is the 15x8 with 5.5.........i do have to run a 1/4" spacer just to clear my tail pipe
Old 16th-January-2017, 08:00 PM   #21
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs72 View Post
There is no way a 295 will fit.....the tire i have under there is the absolute biggest tire that will fit in the wheel well......i had to "modify the inner wheel housing with a sledge hammer to fit......My wheel lip is un modified but even if it was rolled i couldnt get any bigger tire in there.

Most people use a 15x7 with 4.5" back spacing because its easy and fits.....the BIGGEST that fits under the wheel well without jacking the rear in the air is the 15x8 with 5.5.........i do have to run a 1/4" spacer just to clear my tail pipe
You're very helpful, thank you.

See, I am really hold school hot rod street race style so I really don't mind if the tire sticks out just a tad past the fender. I also like the lifted rear look as well. So I will most likely have it lifted with a 2-4 inch gap between the tire and fender. I don't want the tire to stick really far out, because that would look ridiculous even to me, but if it is even with the fender or just an inch past the fender I am cool with that.

So would my best bet be going with the 15x8 and a 295 with 5.5 back spacing?
Old 17th-February-2017, 01:39 PM   #22
xMLMx

Nova(s): 1969 Nova
Bumping this from the dead.

There's not an easy or clean way to fit a 295 under the back of the stock sheetmetal- especially if you like your car to ride nice.

I managed to barely squeak a 275/60R15 on the back of my '69 using 15x8" rally wheels with 5 1/4" backspacing. Stock mono leaf springs with HD shocks in the OE locations. The driver's side lightly rubs the shock when the suspension deflects, and the passengers side will sometimes rub the outer quarter lip. Not ideal, but so far, so good.

Here's fitment photos I took.

Old 18th-February-2017, 12:06 AM   #23
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMLMx View Post
Bumping this from the dead.

There's not an easy or clean way to fit a 295 under the back of the stock sheetmetal- especially if you like your car to ride nice.

I managed to barely squeak a 275/60R15 on the back of my '69 using 15x8" rally wheels with 5 1/4" backspacing. Stock mono leaf springs with HD shocks in the OE locations. The driver's side lightly rubs the shock when the suspension deflects, and the passengers side will sometimes rub the outer quarter lip. Not ideal, but so far, so good.

Here's fitment photos I took.

Thank you for the info and the pics, very helpful. I am thinking more 275s now, but quick question. I assume you have it at stock height in the rear? What if you were to put a little lift on the rear say maybe 2 inches, would that solve any of the rubbing issues?

Then like the old school days, if you were to apply a 4-5 inch lift then would a 295 be possible even if that means the tire sticks out beyond the wheel well lip, which I may be in the minority here, think looks rather pretty cool.

This was an artsy photo I took while in high school overlaying it with clouds, so its kind of hard to make out, but its the same green one above.

So like I said, I am in the minority, but here is the look I am kind of going for. This could all change as well.

Now here are some more really extreme examples that are fun to look at, but I imagine I would never consider this.

And finally lol

I think the Nova I am looking to buy right now actually has 275s tucked under the rear with Cragers. If that is the case, I will probably keep it as is just like that, because it looks just so darn cool.

Old 20th-March-2017, 08:13 AM   #24
xMLMx

Nova(s): 1969 Nova
I mean, you can fit the widest tire in the world under the car if you raise it way up like a pickup truck. It's one of those things where "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

My car as on the lowest eyelet for the rear leaf spring perch. I'm not sure I'd call it "stock height", as the factory monos sag pretty good, and the front end has 2" drop spindles.

I honestly wish I could get the car lower than what it currently is- I have a thing for lowered cars tucking tire.

Old 20th-March-2017, 08:35 AM   #25
bracketchev70

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 70 Nova (sold)
An old trick is to cut the shield off the upper part of the shock and just leave the shaft exposed. It will get you another 1/2" up top to prevent the tire from rubbing the shock body.
Old 20th-March-2017, 01:22 PM   #26
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Thanks guys. Good ideas.
Old 20th-March-2017, 02:05 PM   #27
msaul

Nova(s): 1969, Generation VI 489,
Smile Size matters

I caused myself considerable time, effort, trouble and cash trying to make a 295 X 50 X 15 tire under my 1969 Nova. They would almost fit under the right rear, but not really.

I recommend the 275 tire, with 5.5" backspaced wheels as do-able.
The 5.5" backspace puts the tire right in the middle of the wheel house.
Old 20th-March-2017, 03:26 PM   #28
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaul View Post
I caused myself considerable time, effort, trouble and cash trying to make a 295 X 50 X 15 tire under my 1969 Nova. They would almost fit under the right rear, but not really.

I recommend the 275 tire, with 5.5" backspaced wheels as do-able.
The 5.5" backspace puts the tire right in the middle of the wheel house.
Okay very cool. The black Nova that I will be buying I believe has 275s already on it, so I'm am good to go, although I am old fashion and I kind of like the lifted rear end and the wide 295 tire sticking out slightly. But this black Nova looks super awesome as well.
Old 20th-March-2017, 06:59 PM   #29
chevyguy8

Title: Nova Newbie

295/50r15 - 15x8 - 4.5BS Draglite - stock width 8.5 (at the time), trimmed wheel well lip. Rubbed both inside/outside wheel well. Mini-tub definitely needed to fit 295s.

275/60r15 - Same wheel and rear end. Worked great. One side would rub on the inside WW while turning with passengers on the back seat.
Old 20th-March-2017, 11:18 PM   #30
SSNovaSS396
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy8 View Post

295/50r15 - 15x8 - 4.5BS Draglite - stock width 8.5 (at the time), trimmed wheel well lip. Rubbed both inside/outside wheel well. Mini-tub definitely needed to fit 295s.

275/60r15 - Same wheel and rear end. Worked great. One side would rub on the inside WW while turning with passengers on the back seat.
Really cool comparison pics. I am not going to lie, man that looks cool with those 295 though. I wonder if you had air shocks and lifted it up if your rubbing issue would have gone away. Would have been cool to see that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement