Mustang II front clip - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th-November-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
95possom

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 63 hardtop
Mustang II front clip

I Have been doing some research on front clips for my 63. Ok the thing is I don't wanna spend a ton of money on just a front clip if I can build one with new parts for half of the price they want for one and on the plus size It will keep me busy during the winter Hopefully someone has built one for thier nova or hotrod so I would know if its the right decision to make. Here is one the crossmember kits I've found http://www.welderseries.com/catalog/...roducts_id=423 Has anyone used these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th-November-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
bigblockwagon

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 64 wagon
I used heidt's weld in crossmember only and installed it on factory chevy ll frame rails. costs a little more but way easier and still a lot less than a full bolt in subframe deal
http://www.heidts.com/index.cfm/page...prod/prd68.htm

Scott
Old 26th-November-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
67 church

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 67 2dr hrd top, 2-63 wags
Do you have your heart set on using a mustang II style of front end?

Made in the USA
Old 26th-November-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
3DTim

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 66 ProStreet-74 GTO
I have the churchboys rack setup on mine and just love it. Drives like a new car.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=86968
Chuck and his Dad are great will answer anything you may want to know. I really like the looks of the rack behind the cross-member and not in front were it can be hit with something going down the road. My car set low so I have to keep up with stuff in the road. And you can get the rack at any parts store and they are cheep compared to some of the other racks out there. No welding bolts right in. And you can it a peace at a time and add on as you get the time and money.
Old 26th-November-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
95possom

It doesn't have to be a m2 front end but I'd like to have tubular a-arms and I'm wanting coilover springs to get rid of those shock towers, also since I'd have to buy all new bushings for my a arms I rather spend the money for tubular so I could narrow the front some also. With the crossmember im going to move the wheels back to. I have read many topics on your churchboys kit and I really like. Since I'm wanting the whole nine yards I think it's best for me that I get the front clip or in my case build it.
Old 26th-November-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
JRouche

12 years ago I bought a MII cross member for the 62 Nova from Arizona Nova (think they outta business) and welded it to the stock frame rails. Bought a steering rack, tubular MII control arms, spindles and disc brakes (brackets and calipers included) from JPL Street Rods. Under a grand for the bunch. The prices really haven't changed that much. Pretty easy operation on the cheap. It was really nice to cut out all that extra weight of the stock suspension. JR
Old 27th-November-2008, 12:42 AM   #7
64PRONOVA

Nova(s): 64SS & 65SS
Yeah it's nice to lose the shock towers, especially if you are considering ever going to a big block.

I put an Arizona Nova front X-member in my 64 back in 1994. The car now still has the same X-member with Heidt's polished stainless tubular control arms, Heidt's 2" drop spindles, QA-1 aluminum coil-overs, and Wilwood disc brakes. Looks semi-factory too. Retains the stock inner fenderwells with the exception of eliminating the shock towers.

My 1965 Nova SS
Old 27th-November-2008, 03:01 AM   #8
JRouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64PRONOVA View Post
I put an Arizona Nova front X-member in my 64 back in 1994. The car now still has the same X-member with Heidt's polished stainless tubular control arms, Heidt's 2" drop spindles, QA-1 aluminum coil-overs, and Wilwood disc brakes. Looks semi-factory too. Retains the stock inner fenderwells with the exception of eliminating the shock towers.
Hey!! Another Arizona Nova cross member user. Love it!!! I made my own inner fender wells out of sheet metal. Kinda cool to hear about another guy using one. Thats ALL there was available back then. That or Fatmans strut conversion, which was expensive. Things have opened up alot for our lil Novas since then. JR
Old 27th-November-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
3DTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95possom View Post
It doesn't have to be a m2 front end but I'd like to have tubular a-arms and I'm wanting coilover springs to get rid of those shock towers, also since I'd have to buy all new bushings for my a arms I rather spend the money for tubular so I could narrow the front some also. With the crossmember im going to move the wheels back to. I have read many topics on your churchboys kit and I really like. Since I'm wanting the whole nine yards I think it's best for me that I get the front clip or in my case build it.
You can get the tubular a-arms for the churchboys setup. CPP makes them and there is a guy thinking of offer them soon. So going with the tubular a-arms is no big deal.
Old 27th-November-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
95possom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
12 years ago I bought a MII cross member for the 62 Nova from Arizona Nova (think they outta business) and welded it to the stock frame rails. Bought a steering rack, tubular MII control arms, spindles and disc brakes (brackets and calipers included) from JPL Street Rods. Under a grand for the bunch. The prices really haven't changed that much. Pretty easy operation on the cheap. It was really nice to cut out all that extra weight of the stock suspension. JR
That is ball park figure that I came up with all new componets. I've been checking ebay, craigslist, racing junk so I can get some good used parts for less money and shouldn't have that much invested. Since I work at a metal shop I can use what I need. One plus on m2 front end since thier all types of after market parts all ready made to fit 1st and 2nd novas I shouldn't have problems finding the right parts. More money saved is more money to spend somewhere else
Old 27th-November-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
95possom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DTim View Post
You can get the tubular a-arms for the churchboys setup. CPP makes them and there is a guy thinking of offer them soon. So going with the tubular a-arms is no big deal.
Ya, but don't you have to keep the shock towers?
Old 27th-November-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
3DTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95possom View Post
Ya, but don't you have to keep the shock towers?
Yes and if and to do away with them you will have to do a lot more that just putting a rack under it. As you can see I am still running them. And I have the car handling great with the rack and lager sway-bar.

Old 27th-November-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
95possom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DTim View Post
Yes and if and to do away with them you will have to do a lot more that just putting a rack under it. As you can see I am still running them. And I have the car handling great with the rack and lager sway-bar.

Ya I looked over your car at the Nashville goodguys show really good. Very nice I'm planning on the whole front clip coil overs alum fender panels not just doing a rack and pinion steering swap. By the way what kind of tub job did you do to tuck them big ol' tires
Old 28th-November-2008, 12:19 AM   #14
3DTim

It was all hand made long before all these nice kit came out. Even the 4-link was home made " well it was made out at TVA in the Boiler shop". A big Power Plant has a lot of nice tools.
Old 28th-November-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
3DTim

I think I am going to have to get mine out tomorrow and drive it a little. Are you going to go to good guys next year. I think I will make it again. If I can get everything done this winter.
Advertisement