6 Cyl overheating - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd-June-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
amilcar

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 63 nova and 65 chevy II
nova temp

looks like we all have the same problems or not?,I have a 65 chevy II all stock and all new from top to bottom ,engine also rebuild 230 cc 6 inline ,,,before the radiator a have right now a new 2 row stock copper one ,,,I had a 3 row aluminum ,,,temp was great (I belive)on the 170 range but aluminum and cast iron block don't get along to well ,,,anyway I think it was defective from day one and after 1 year it started to leak,,,,I replaced it with the stock I mention before and now that we have 90 f weather the temp on my chevy runs about 210/213 goes down to 200 and again to 210 ,,,the stat is a 160,,normal 70 80 dregree weather runs at 180/190...
I have and old book and show "thermo opening temp"for a 65 is 180
for a 63 w a 194cc 180,too and most of the chevys with a 6 cly engine the stat shows that it should open at 180,,means that 180 is the minimum operating temp,,,my guess is that it should be running at 200 more or less ,,also I found some info on this book and
I took some pictures of the pages of this book maybe can help you guys to find the problem if there's any(note I could not upload 2 more pages if you need them contact to me and I email them...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3683.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	26505   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3684.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	26506   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3685.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	26507  

Last edited by amilcar; 2nd-June-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd-June-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
amilcar

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 63 nova and 65 chevy II
info

I could not upload 2 more pages of this book but if anyone need it contact me so i'll email it to u ...
Old 12th-July-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
arndog

Title: Nova Guru
Any other ideas on this? had mine out and about a few times and still same same, runs ok in garage, sitting there, out on the road, stop for a few minutes after driving and right up to 200-215

arndog
Old 14th-July-2013, 01:59 AM   #19
rodnokn6

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 63 wagon, 63 ss convertible
Cool fan shroud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ellis View Post
I have two 63's and both of them run way too hot. If the ambient temp is 75 degrees or more they both will run between 210 and 225 degrees. They run hotter in town than on the road but even at highway speeds they will both get to 210+. That is much hotter than they should run with with 160 stats. I tested one car on a 95 degree day driving at 55+ MPH in a hilly area and the temp reached 235 degrees.
Both engines have optional 6 cyl Air Conditioner radiators with factory mechanical fans. I believe the timing is set at 8 degrees on both cars. The engines themselves are mechanically sound and yes, I am running 50/50 antifreeze.
The automatic transmissions are NOT run through the radiator but instead they are routed to remote coolers that are mounted under the passenger seat. In other words, the transmission heat does not contribute to an additional cooling load for the radiator.
The fans have plenty of pull at idle. Each car can hold a shop towel against the radiator at an idle. My radiator shop says this proves the fan draw is adequate to cool the car. My radiator caps have been replaced, too.
This is a long term problem.
Any ideas? Color me stumped
I have a 63 wagon with a 230 cid (out of a '64) It has an external trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator/ it has no trans fluid going thru the radiator.about 8 years ago it would run hot on hot days (8o + degrees ambient temperature would result in 220 + I would end up shutting it down to let her cool off) either stop and go or idleing/( I too had the original 4 blade steel fan) and the original radiator. I found a radiator out of a '66 with an inline 6 (wider) and i had it rebuilt with a high efficiency 3 row core This improved the stop and go issue alot but did nothing for overheating @ idle.I ended up having mattsons radiator in so cal ( stanton) build and install a fan shroud..... PROBLEM SOLVED it wont go past 190 degrees no mater what and no matter the ambient temp. It will usually run much cooler than this but never pass 190 degrees BTW I too am running a 160 degree thermostat. .....I recomend a fan shroud once youve figured out why your 250 is overheating @ highway speeds
Old 15th-July-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
tlowe

Nova(s): 67 nova, 65 Elcamino and
Quote:
Originally Posted by arndog View Post
Any other ideas on this? had mine out and about a few times and still same same, runs ok in garage, sitting there, out on the road, stop for a few minutes after driving and right up to 200-215

arndog
I think it maybe a timing issue.

You need to make sure the vacuum advance is working.
Check the balancer for a correct reference to TDC.

Idle timing without vacuum set to 10
idle with vacuum around 20-25

Rev to 3000 without vacuum 32-36

rev to 2500 with vacuum and get around 40-45

Not enough timing can cause huge heat issues.
Old 15th-July-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
chevymike

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlowe View Post
I think it maybe a timing issue.

You need to make sure the vacuum advance is working.
Check the balancer for a correct reference to TDC.

Idle timing without vacuum set to 10
idle with vacuum around 20-25

Rev to 3000 without vacuum 32-36

rev to 2500 with vacuum and get around 40-45

Not enough timing can cause huge heat issues.
Would this be the same with an HEI setup? I am running into a hot temp issue as well but not having a temp gauge before, I don't know what normal was before the rebuild.
Old 15th-July-2013, 07:34 PM   #22
arndog

tlowe im in that wheel house, in fact I just dialed it back to 8 at idle and had the same results, will crank it backup and recheck though

rodnokn6 do you have any pictures of that shroud, not a ton of room with the 6, but im going to try and build one as its a relatively cheap test.

arndog
Old 15th-July-2013, 08:10 PM   #23
rodnokn6

fan shroud

Quote:
tlowe im in that wheel house, in fact I just dialed it back to 8 at idle and had the same results, will crank it backup and recheck though

rodnokn6 do you have any pictures of that shroud, not a ton of room with the 6, but im going to try and build one as its a relatively cheap test.

arndog
i will look for one if not ill take some// when i get back from taking the dogs for their walk
Old 15th-July-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
rodnokn6

inline 6 cylinder shroud pics

Quote:

arndog
here are the pics i just took
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGA0212.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	28434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0209.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	28442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0210.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	28450  
Old 15th-July-2013, 08:28 PM   #25
rodnokn6

more pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnokn6 View Post
i will look for one if not ill take some// when i get back from taking the dogs for their walk
here are a couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGA0213.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	28458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0214.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	28466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0216.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	28474  
Old 15th-July-2013, 08:35 PM   #26
rodnokn6

2 more

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnokn6 View Post
here are a couple more pics
2 more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGA0206.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	28482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0217.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	28490  
Old 15th-July-2013, 08:45 PM   #27
rodnokn6

62 wagon no shroud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixx View Post
I ran some radiator flush through it, but did not do the "reverse flush" thing. The radiator LOOKS really clean, but I guess you never know.

Probably need to get a new (3 core) radiator.

Gonna try to fab up a shroud first though. I'll report back after I get that done.
I have installed a shroud on my 63 wagon with a 230cid this engine seems to NEED a shroud vs a 194 because
in the early eighties i had a 62 wagon absolutely bone stock 194 slip and slide and i would pile my friends and all our stuff and drive to the beach and drive back sit in traffic idle in 100 degree weather I can not say what temperature it ran at but it never boiled over or pinged or felt like it was hot without a shroud. the car had an idiot light only no guages

Last edited by rodnokn6; 15th-July-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 15th-July-2013, 11:58 PM   #28
chevymike

I think I solved my hot running issue tonight. It is the same thing I ran into with a SBC in my '65 C10 truck. After checking the timing and getting it about where tlowe said, not much difference. I checked the temp of the coolant in the radiator with a temp probe and it was showing 180-185* even though the gauge inside was saying 205-210*.

I moved the temp sender from the head back to where it was originally, in the t-stat housing. Now it's running 175-180* and goes up to about 195* when stopped idling at a light or traffic. Perfect! Same solution I did on my truck.

I think having the sender in the head, gives a false reading due to the combustion chamber transferring heat too close to the sender.

Where is your sending unit at? Might be this simple.
Old 17th-July-2013, 01:55 PM   #29
arndog

thanks for the pictures thats great. fabbed up a shroud yesterday and it certainly changed the airflow through the rad but still same problem.

I have 8 degrees initial timing and 12-14 vacuum advance at idle, will double check the vacuum advance number.

My temp sensor is in the head but im pretty sure my temp guns confirms the numbers

I think im down to

- adjust rockers
- valve timing
- head gasket
- blockage

all of those suck though well not the rockers but I don't think that will do it.

arndog
Old 17th-July-2013, 04:58 PM   #30
chevymike

Get a temp probe into the top of the radiator (where the cap goes, cap off) and verify the temp reading of the coolant. My IR temp gun was reading like the gauge at the sender and was about 10* hotter on the top of the t-stat neck but the coolant was at the correct 180*.

Moving my sender to the t-stat housing (the part that bolts directly to the block) show the matching reading of the temp probe in the coolant I stuck in the top of the radiator.

Are you using a factory gauge with factory sender or all aftermarket stuff?

Before tearing into the engine, I would move the sender. Took me all of 10 minutes to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement