Got mine running today - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance > LSx Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th-January-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
jimr38

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1972 nova
Got mine running today

Well I was able to get this thing running today, I didn't have the thing wired completely because my fuse block from current performance was on back order, supposed to be here Wednesday but I have shoulder surgery on Thursday so I won't be working on the car for 6 weeks or so, I just had to hear it run. How satisfying is that , all those wires and the thing fires up in 3 seconds for the first time, looks like I got them right the first time. Well at least she fired right up, it was running a high idle for some reason , not sure I guess I'll find out after my surgery, can the idle be adjusted from the IAC? I think that's the idle solenoid on the throttle body, or is the comp all that can adj the idle? I didn't have my brake switch or a/c request hooked up yet, could the brake switch not hooked up yet make it idle high? Any thoughts you guys might have would be appreciated ? Other than that it seemed to run great. It was uncorked and no driveshaft ( I did have a tail shaft plug in the trans to keep the fluid in ). I didn't run it very long I just had to see if it would start up, this week I have a lot of medical stuff so I don't think I can work on it at all before Thursdays surgery,

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Old 21st-January-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
srfwagn

Nova(s): '65 Wagon
Congrats. Must be a great feeling. I hadn't checked your motor mount prob but I guess you got that squared away also. Good luck on the surgery. I've had a couple shoulder surgery's (both rotator cuff). Really amazing how quick getting rotation back is; not strength, but rotation. A machine was sent home so I could start therapy the next morning! They don't waste any time.
Old 21st-January-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Inspector 12

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972 two door
Always good to get a project running for the first time. The fine tuning will be fun once you get healed up. Best of luck on your recovery.
Old 21st-January-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
batman09

Nova(s): 1967 Ht & 1962 wagon
sweet!!!!!!!

1967 Nova-----Ls3/4L70e
Old 21st-January-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
S.Humrich

Nova(s): 65 ss 63 wagon
Good luck with the surgery

65 SS LS3
63 wagon sold
Old 21st-January-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
jimr38

Got mine running today

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfwagn View Post
Congrats. Must be a great feeling. I hadn't checked your motor mount prob but I guess you got that squared away also. Good luck on the surgery. I've had a couple shoulder surgery's (both rotator cuff). Really amazing how quick getting rotation back is; not strength, but rotation. A machine was sent home so I could start therapy the next morning! They don't waste any time.
Yeah I got the motor mount problem fixed. I got the autokraft pan and used the tall and narrow motor mounts, now I have plenty of Clearance under the pan. Yeah I have a full tear or the rotator cuff , and a few other things wrong in there, this all goes back to my work accident I had back in September. Been off for 5 months now, sounds like ill be off for a few more... Uggg

Old 21st-January-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
jimr38

Got mine running today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 12 View Post
Always good to get a project running for the first time. The fine tuning will be fun once you get healed up. Best of luck on your recovery.
You got that right and thanks for the good wishes?

Old 21st-January-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
TomM

Nova(s): 1966 - Coupe
Jim, exactly how high was the idle RPM wise? The engines will usually high idle for about 20 -30 seconds. Part of that time is when it starts in open loop, polls the sensors, goes to closed loop, and then settles into an idle. As the temperature increases, the idle will settle out.

There is really no adjustment screw to speak of like a carb, it's all done through the PCM.....get it all hooked up and let it run for a bit, it will probably settle out. One of the main culprits of high idle on these engines is a vacuum leak at the intake.....

T,
Old 21st-January-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
TMack63nova

Nova(s): 1963 Chevy II / Nova Conv
Very Nice!! Keep up the good work!!

Old 21st-January-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
jimr38

Got mine running today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Jim, exactly how high was the idle RPM wise? The engines will usually high idle for about 20 -30 seconds. Part of that time is when it starts in open loop, polls the sensors, goes to closed loop, and then settles into an idle. As the temperature increases, the idle will settle out.

There is really no adjustment screw to speak of like a carb, it's all done through the PCM.....get it all hooked up and let it run for a bit, it will probably settle out. One of the main culprits of high idle on these engines is a vacuum leak at the intake.....

T,
Thanks Tom, I'm not sure what the RPMs were as my tach wasn't hooked up , but your prolly right. As I didn't let it run very long as it was open headers, it was just a little high.. Tho...I wish I could work on this but I have to go get an EKG done...

Old 21st-January-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
TomM

Nova(s): 1966 - Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr38 View Post
Thanks Tom, I'm not sure what the RPMs were as my tach wasn't hooked up , but your prolly right. As I didn't let it run very long as it was open headers, it was just a little high.. Tho...I wish I could work on this but I have to go get an EKG done...

Well, at least it started, we did something right.....

T,
Old 21st-January-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
1969SS540

Nova(s): 1969 540 BB MARINA BLUE
Congrats on firing the engine up that's like music to your ears! Hopefully that will inspire a quick recovery from your surgery....good luck with it!!!
Old 21st-January-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
sbc1320

Nova(s): Working on it
Just what he said ^^^^. Congrats, that will get you moving.
70 Nova 350 Sold
71 Nova 350 Sold
Old 21st-January-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
jimr38

Got mine running today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Well, at least it started, we did something right.....

T,
That's right woohoo ! Thanks for your help! This will give me motivation to get out of the sling and out into the garage ,

Old 21st-January-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
rusty63ss

Nova(s): '63 SS
Are you running DBW or DBC?

If it's DBW did your motor respond to depressing the pedal? If you connect a reader I would bet that it's throwing a code saying that the connection with the TAC module has been lost.

On mine I forgot to hook up the IGN hot to the pedal and the motor idled at 1600 RPM. Connected the hot and it worked correctly.

Congrats on getting her fired up. It's a great feeling!!

Last edited by rusty63ss; 21st-January-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement