Wetsanding and buffing - Page 3 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th-January-2013, 09:53 PM   #31
drnova69

Title: Nova Senior Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNova View Post
I have never seen the yellow bottle 3M compund.
I do not know the number, but my compound is a purple bottle with a white lid. A buy gallons at a time so I haven't bought any for a few months.
is it this one??

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-p...d-p-15648.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th-January-2013, 09:56 PM   #32
TechNova

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 73, (2) 69's
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnova69 View Post
That's it.
Old 14th-January-2013, 10:07 PM   #33
drnova69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNova View Post
That's it.

cool, what should I follow it up with?
Old 14th-January-2013, 10:41 PM   #34
TechNova

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 73, (2) 69's
I use the compound with a wool pad on the rotary buffer. Some use foam COMPOUND pad, foam is slower cutting but is is also safer for a beginner.

I then clean the car and use the orbital with a foam POLISH pad for the polish. As previously posted, the rotary will work for polish.

I clean again and hand polish with Race Glaze.

I use microfibers and a water/alchol mix in a spray bottle for all wiping.
I use three color of microfibers so I do not wipe polish off with a towel I used for compound.
Old 14th-January-2013, 10:57 PM   #35
snolan

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1967 Sedan LS1/T56-410-Ge
Buffing

drnova69, not sure what tools you need to buff but since your in Chicago i would have no problem loaning you my Stuff i have a Milwaukee buffer same as a body shop uses i also have a Porter Cable orbital that i use for Finishing and removing any swirl marks its a great tool. I have any thing you need to buff your paint.

Your welcome to borrow any thing you need.

Steve
630-257-3609
Old 15th-January-2013, 12:55 AM   #36
drnova69

Quote:
Originally Posted by snolan View Post
drnova69, not sure what tools you need to buff but since your in Chicago i would have no problem loaning you my Stuff i have a Milwaukee buffer same as a body shop uses i also have a Porter Cable orbital that i use for Finishing and removing any swirl marks its a great tool. I have any thing you need to buff your paint.

Steve
630-257-3609

Thanks Steve
Old 15th-January-2013, 01:22 AM   #37
car_man602

Nova(s): 1972
Quote:

Steve
630-257-3609
Now that is NPHNP
Old 15th-January-2013, 02:01 PM   #38
drnova69

heres a pic where im at with 1500 do I keep doing 1500 till I cannt see the shiny little craters? or go ahead to 2000?

Old 17th-January-2013, 04:38 PM   #39
Ironcross25

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1971 406 sbc
i would go until the shiny spots are gone. thats what i did. Im in the process of my first paint job. I have the body and trunk done. I sanded and first stage buffed the body. I went a little to far sanding on t he one quarter and went thru the clear. tried to sand a clear over but didnt pan out. I am now gonna have to blend the spot a went thru and re clear panel. Just be careful and dont be too anal. that was my problem. I saw some issues I thought i could get out and in reality no one else saw them but me. you see little think here and there that bother you since your right up against the panel when sanding.
Old 17th-January-2013, 05:54 PM   #40
drnova69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcross25 View Post
i would go until the shiny spots are gone. thats what i did. Im in the process of my first paint job. I have the body and trunk done. I sanded and first stage buffed the body. I went a little to far sanding on t he one quarter and went thru the clear. tried to sand a clear over but didnt pan out. I am now gonna have to blend the spot a went thru and re clear panel. Just be careful and dont be too anal. that was my problem. I saw some issues I thought i could get out and in reality no one else saw them but me. you see little think here and there that bother you since your right up against the panel when sanding.
yeah your right about only seeing them close up but anyway I did sand with 1500 again and then I did 2000 it looks real good only a few scarce shiney spots now I think im going to start buffing tomorrow

Also while I was sanding I noticed the painted didnt clear the lower part of my front fender right below the body line can anybody recommend a spray can clear to hit that spot?
Old 19th-January-2013, 04:23 PM   #41
drnova69

cut and buff all done but I still see some scratches black is really non forgiving

Old 19th-January-2013, 07:52 PM   #42
snolan

Nova(s): 1967 Sedan LS1/T56-410-Ge
Buff

Looks great you may want to stop till spring time when you have better light then go back and spot buff after you get everything together.
Old 19th-January-2013, 11:04 PM   #43
drnova69

Quote:
Looks great you may want to stop till spring time when you have better light then go back and spot buff after you get everything together.
Thanks Steve that sounds like a good plan, I will start to reassemble it and buff it again in spring
Old 20th-January-2013, 01:55 AM   #44
musclerodz

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1967 1968 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia66SS View Post
Hey, not trying to step on anyones toes but i wouldn't use 800 or even 1000 grit to sand out orange peel. I've been painting for 15 years or better and use those coarser grits for runs or sags, not just orange peel depending on how much clear was applied.unless ur in a hurry to knock the finish down i would suggest starting with 1200 wet then 1500. 3m step 1 will buff out 1200 or finer but the finer grit you progress to ie. 1500, 2000, 3000 the less buffing you will need to do and you will eliminate some of the deeper sand scratches you can get when using those coarser grits. Use step 1 fast cutting rubbing compound swith to step 2 swirl mark remover with the appropiate pad then step 3 polishing compound with that corosponding pad. Make sure you keep from mixing pads and wash them out after use to keep them clean. Like the other member noted, wipe off resedue before proceeding because it is difficult to remove when dry especially in little cracks n corners. And whatch out for the edges, it's very easy to rub through. If you follow the dirrection on the bottles you should have no problems ie buffer speed and pressure.
Just my oppinion
depend on how much clear is on the car and how nice you want it. I start with 600 to get this......

Old 20th-January-2013, 02:36 AM   #45
bigbadbp7

Nova(s): 72 nova
Looks good, as being a detailer I want some up close sun shots to see how you really did. What was your compound and polishing methods? If there are any remaining scratches they should only be straight line scratches from sanding not swirls that where induced with the buffer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement