jzwhite - 62 Chevy II - On Target - Page 4 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Car Profiles

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th-January-2013, 02:04 PM   #46
jzwhite

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 62 Chevy II
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwright View Post
Is the gauge cluster controlled by the ECU?
Since I used the motor & trans, mine is wired through the ecm/pcm just like the original car. Can't verify it but I suspect the sensors on the engine, etc wired direct to the dash may work. In addition to the dash, the ecm probably uses the sensor info for fuel injection & transmission control. So without using engine/trans the dash may operate without having to go through the ecm as long as you use the same or compatible sensors. That would be a good project to figure out!

Related, I added in the cruise control (added under fender). I was surprised that none of the wiring went through the pcm. It was all stand alone. Speed pick up was hooked direct to the electric speed sensor on the trans. Just connect to power, brake switch, cruise control switch and cruise module.

Aftermarket is great but why buy if you have the parts right in the pile of junk you already have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th-January-2013, 05:50 PM   #47
HVAC Mech

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972 Nova
Beautiful. That engine compartment is absolutely gorgeous, what an inspiration it has given to me. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, are your intitials JZ? Mine are too! Hahaha
Old 16th-January-2013, 08:41 AM   #48
jzwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce1963 View Post
Jim,

Great to see you on Steve's, I followed your build on Lat-G, I love this car. I liked the finish of the interior / engine compartment so much I am copying you and shooting the DC5775 clear. I know from your posts that it was shot by Hot Rods by Todd but any tips on shooting that clear that you might have picked up that you could pass on? You need to post up pictures of the finned coolers you mounted in the bumpers, very cool solution!

Bob
Bob,
Glad you liked the build and saw it on Lat-G! How is your Chevy II coming? Do you have some pics posted on here of yours?

Some tips(learn by experience) on spraying the DC5775 Ultra Flat Clear: Don't lay it on too heavy or wet! A couple lighter coats was enough. We also used a faster activator to get it to cure quicker. Ensure it is thoroughly mixed/agitated.

Actually needed to respray some parts from the 1st time because it stayed too glossy Another possibility in it not flattening out right could have been the mix. There was a lot of settling in the original can. Thought it was mixed very well. The 2nd time, had it shook on machine and mixed extra well before and after activating. Don't know if that had anything to contribute, but when painting you always learn something and take extra care in everything. Even when it flattened out just fine, it may have taken a couple hours to totaly flatten out after sprayed. Kind of scarey waiting. Sure gives a great look when it is done.

Here's in my shop when it was set up for spraying.
Jim

Old 16th-January-2013, 01:14 PM   #49
asteeler4life

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1962 'VERT 1966 SS
VERY KOOL ENGINE BAY! NICE AND CLEAN!

62INLINE 6 GROUP
66 NOVA SS COUPE INC.
Old 16th-January-2013, 05:55 PM   #50
jzwhite

Quote:
Jim,

You need to post up pictures of the finned coolers you mounted in the bumpers, very cool solution!

Bob
Here's the trans coolers mounted behind the bumper. That took a lot of heat and air restriction away from the radiator & A/C condenser.

Old 16th-January-2013, 06:45 PM   #51
jzwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardsSS View Post
JZ,

Hope you don't mind my sharing this link: http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/show...ighlight=Chevy

That is one heckuva build.
Good idea of referencing the link to Lateral-G, thanks.

Posted there during the build. Check there if interested in more details. You can comment or ask a questions from there if you like. Will post some new things here on SNS that didn't get on Lat-G.

Thanks all for the nice comments and keep posting stuff on your cars too. Even though a lot of us may not comment much, we're watching a bunch and gain a lot of info, thanks
Old 16th-January-2013, 09:09 PM   #52
Deuce1963

Title: Nova Senior Member
Thanks Jim,

Not many pictures of mine on here, my project moves along pretty slow and I know how everybody likes updates, I don't want to disappoint.

I understand the scary part in waiting for it to flatten. I have shot test pieces three times now and only just got the last one to lay down right. I listened to my job shop rather than read the tech sheet and was mixing by volume instead of weight which I found out makes a very big difference, now the weather is too cold so I will wait a couple of months and work on other things till I get a chance to work with it again. I am hoping mine comes out half as good as yours. Great work

Bob
Old 17th-January-2013, 10:34 AM   #53
jzwhite

Quote:
Thanks Jim,

Not many pictures of mine on here, my project moves along pretty slow and I know how everybody likes updates, I don't want to disappoint.

I understand the scary part in waiting for it to flatten. I have shot test pieces three times now and only just got the last one to lay down right. I listened to my job shop rather than read the tech sheet and was mixing by volume instead of weight which I found out makes a very big difference, now the weather is too cold so I will wait a couple of months and work on other things till I get a chance to work with it again. I am hoping mine comes out half as good as yours. Great work

Bob

Good that you are planning to wait for warmer weather before spraying! I don't remember the outside temp when we sprayed here, but I do remember turning the heat on in the garage to help cure it quickly.

Most all of our projects take longer than hoped! A lot of projects may end up closer to a decade when you add up all the modifying/changing over time. Mine was. The process is the best part anyway. I was quite a ways long before I started posting the build on Lat-G.

Get what garage time you can, but not at the cost of more important things.
Old 17th-January-2013, 12:12 PM   #54
LONGBOW

Nova(s): 65 Prostreet Sedan
I love what you did to the engine bay. Is that the DC 5775 you guys are talking about or is it just a flat black?
Old 17th-January-2013, 01:24 PM   #55
Nik_95cobra

Sweet Baby Jeebus dude that's clean! You have some massive skills.

1962 Chevy II - 1995 SVT Cobra
Old 17th-January-2013, 02:20 PM   #56
mj40's

Nova(s): 1962 Chevy II / Nova Conv
Nice

Thanks for the other link. After looking thru it all "what a piece of -
artwork"!!!!!!! Tons of cool ideas. I really like the shot of the boy driving it. Lucky kid!
Old 18th-January-2013, 01:30 PM   #57
jzwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGBOW View Post
I love what you did to the engine bay. Is that the DC 5775 you guys are talking about or is it just a flat black?
Glad you like the engine bay, thanks!

The DC5775 is the BASF Ultra Flat Clear which was sprayed over a base coat.
Jim
Old 18th-January-2013, 03:18 PM   #58
dlcracing

Nova(s): 64 SS
gnarly build - any chance you can post pics of the interior lighting (ie, dash lights) as from driver angle ... im really impressed and considering duplicating your build (if you dont mind)

Last edited by dlcracing; 18th-January-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 19th-January-2013, 08:09 AM   #59
jzwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcracing View Post
......any chance you can post pics of the interior lighting (ie, dash lights) as from driver angle ...)
dlcracing, the dash lights are an internal part of the dash cluster unit. Dash lighting circuit is connected to the headlight switch much like the original Nova dash cluster. Here's another angle of the dash. Jim

Old 24th-January-2013, 05:26 PM   #60
dlcracing

Nova(s): 64 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwhite View Post
dlcracing, the dash lights are an internal part of the dash cluster unit. Dash lighting circuit is connected to the headlight switch much like the original Nova dash cluster. Here's another angle of the dash. Jim
thanks Jim - although i wasn't clear, i was hoping for a pic of the lights illuminated ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement