Wetsanding and buffing - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th-January-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
Georgia66SS

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1966 nova ss
Hey, not trying to step on anyones toes but i wouldn't use 800 or even 1000 grit to sand out orange peel. I've been painting for 15 years or better and use those coarser grits for runs or sags, not just orange peel depending on how much clear was applied.unless ur in a hurry to knock the finish down i would suggest starting with 1200 wet then 1500. 3m step 1 will buff out 1200 or finer but the finer grit you progress to ie. 1500, 2000, 3000 the less buffing you will need to do and you will eliminate some of the deeper sand scratches you can get when using those coarser grits. Use step 1 fast cutting rubbing compound swith to step 2 swirl mark remover with the appropiate pad then step 3 polishing compound with that corosponding pad. Make sure you keep from mixing pads and wash them out after use to keep them clean. Like the other member noted, wipe off resedue before proceeding because it is difficult to remove when dry especially in little cracks n corners. And whatch out for the edges, it's very easy to rub through. If you follow the dirrection on the bottles you should have no problems ie buffer speed and pressure.
Just my oppinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th-January-2013, 11:27 PM   #17
drnova69

Title: Nova Senior Member
when I start to color sand is it ok to buff say the next day? maybe a week later?
I would like to start sanding but I dont own a buffer at this time and really not sure what I should buy also what compound should I use? I bought 800 1000 and 1500 paper should I get some 2000? thanks guys!!
Old 12th-January-2013, 11:56 PM   #18
Georgia66SS

Hey, the buffer you need would be a 7 inch with variable speed since you will start off at a slow speed while applying moderate pressure and as the compound dries you increase speed and reduce the pressure. I use a makitta myself with the vel cro -type backing disc to use foam type pads. Usually u can wet sand the following day after paint with no problem. I usually wait a few days to allow for shrinkage especially in cold shop conditions. When wet sanding use the flat type sponge backing pad and let the sand paper soak in soapy water to soften the paper. Allways use a backing pad, don't use just your hand and paper or you will get funny looking sanding marks. Start with 1200 grit. I have just used 1200 and then buffed with good results but it's better to progress to at least 1500. 1 full sheet of paper will do maybe 2 panels before loosing its bite so get a few extra sheets
Old 13th-January-2013, 02:16 AM   #19
blonby

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1970 nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnova69 View Post
I just had my nova painted and the painter told me to wait 30 days to wetsand and buff but I looked at the tech sheet from the paint/clear and it says to do it after 48 hrs what should I do?? It says more time will make it harder to cut could the painter be saying that because its cold outside?? the car feel dry to the touch and I took my nail to an area and couldnt dig into it. its basecoat clearcoat and was painted on thursday
it has quit a bit of orange peel should I start with 800 or 1000 grit? thxs
I have a 1970 charger i had it Painted black with dupont
The painter gave it back to me so i could put stainless on along
With other items i bugged him for over week to cut and polish
Car he said it would be ok. . After he finally took my car its was
Every bit of a month when car came back it sucked...
I tryed to get some money back cause i took car to another shop
They blocked the whole car down and re cleared the black then
Blocked it again and shot it one more time with clear big big difference
Old 13th-January-2013, 09:11 AM   #20
drnova69

man im looking at the big box home improvements store online and nobody stocks makita or dewalt buffer/polishers what happen to the days you could just go to a store and buy what you want? anybody know a store I can pick one of these up at? harbor freight stocks their stuff will their stuff work or stick to the big name brand?
Old 13th-January-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
2Doorwagon

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 67 wagon turned 2 door
I bought my makaita at Home Depot years ago, and lowes usually carries them if you have those stores around you.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 13th-January-2013, 09:49 AM   #22
Walaby

Nova(s): 1963 Chevy II
The harbor freight stuff will work, just don't expect it to last as long as a makita. But, you don't pay the makita price either.

Mike
Old 13th-January-2013, 10:26 AM   #23
Georgia66SS

Ya, home depot and lowes usually has them. But you can order one at "toolwarehouse.net" very good price and fast shipping. I would not buy the harbour freight buffer or most other power tools. They will fail at the worst moment wishing you had bought a quality tool. As far as a time line after paint to cut and buff, i agree its easier right right after paint but i would give the paint a chance to shrink. A few days. I have cut n buffed cars a year after they had been painted with no problem. Its all in attention to detail. If you take your time nd do it right it will look right. Noone will care about your ride as much as you will.
Old 14th-January-2013, 12:19 PM   #24
drnova69

well saturday and sunday I wetsanded the pass side fender door and quarter panel I started with 800 and ended with 1500 and intend to finish with 2000 but today I went out to do the hood and when I sprayed it it froze onto it so im going to have to wait for a break in the weather to continue
Old 14th-January-2013, 04:03 PM   #25
gg63

I have a Harbour Freight buffer/polisher. Variable speed. Works very well. I could buy two for the cost of others. Not exactly a tool you will use every day anyways.
Old 14th-January-2013, 04:35 PM   #26
drnova69

Can you post a link to the one you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg63 View Post
I have a Harbour Freight buffer/polisher. Variable speed. Works very well. I could buy two for the cost of others. Not exactly a tool you will use every day anyways.
Old 14th-January-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
drnova69

is this a good one to use its on sale

http://mechanicstoolsupply.com/7-Inc...t_p_15665.html

Last edited by drnova69; 14th-January-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: forgot to ad link
Old 14th-January-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
drnova69

ok I just went ahead and bought it the buffer, now what compound and swirl remover do I use?

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-p...d-p-11299.aspx

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-p...1-p-17216.aspx

will these be good? if not please advise thanks!!
Old 14th-January-2013, 08:12 PM   #29
scrapmetal78

Nova(s): 64 Wagon
Spray Bottle

A spray with a lil Dawn and warm water works well, too when wet sanding. Plus it keeps the car from freezing over and your hands from freezing in a bucket of water.
TCI Shockwave 4-link
Old 14th-January-2013, 09:50 PM   #30
TechNova

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 73, (2) 69's
I have never seen the yellow bottle 3M compund.
I do not know the number, but my compound is a purple bottle with a white lid. A buy gallons at a time so I haven't bought any for a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement