700r4 from TruTechtrans? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th-January-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Bouncer

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1971 2-Door
700r4 from TruTechtrans?

When lurking on ebay i stumbled over a vendor who sells 700R4. Has anybody heard about him? I'm looking for a 700r4 for a reasonable price which can handle around 500 torque...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th-January-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Pandora's Box

Nova(s): 67 Nova Wagon 408"/700R4
I never heard of them but that doesn't mean they're not good. New O.D. builders are popping up on a daily basis as more and more people realize the benefits as well as the gains.

There is one company that frequents Evil Bay that is one to avoid and that's Mad Dog Transmission out of Georgia.

Personally, I'd avoid Evil Bay all together.

Good luck!
Old 14th-January-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Pandora's Box

Okay, I just checked out their website: http://www.trutechtrans.com/4L60E-4L...issions-1.html

I'm guessing you're looking at this tranny: http://www.trutechtrans.com/4L60-700...ans-500HP.html

This appears to be a nice build but I would opt for the options they offer like the better friction discs and billet pump, also request a "K" case not the "MD8" case they are providing. The "MD8" case is good but with the amount of torque your talking about the "K" case will be a little more insurance.
Old 14th-January-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora's Box View Post
I never heard of them but that doesn't mean they're not good. New O.D. builders are popping up on a daily basis as more and more people realize the benefits as well as the gains.

There is one company that frequents Evil Bay that is one to avoid and that's Mad Dog Transmission out of Georgia.

Personally, I'd avoid Evil Bay all together.

Good luck!
Maddog is known here in europe too.... Don't like ebay too, but we have no good chance to get in touch with some companys without a platform like that. Not many good transmission builders here. They cost you an arm and a leg and still didn't have the experience your companys have....
Old 14th-January-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora's Box View Post
Okay, I just checked out their website: http://www.trutechtrans.com/4L60E-4L...issions-1.html

I'm guessing you're looking at this tranny: http://www.trutechtrans.com/4L60-700...ans-500HP.html

This appears to be a nice build but I would opt for the options they offer like the better friction discs and billet pump, also request a "K" case not the "MD8" case they are providing. The "MD8" case is good but with the amount of torque your talking about the "K" case will be a little more insurance.
Yes, thats the one i looked at. From the parts it sounds nice and with the options to upgrade it will be a good trans if properly built. The warranty isn't bad too, although it will not help me here...
I'm a little curious why they use still somewhat big converters on their builds. I thought for trans in that range 9.5 diameter converters are the better choice. The converter price itself looks to me a bit low. I didn't want to go with an el cheapo reman stock converter...
Old 14th-January-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Pandora's Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Yes, thats the one i looked at. From the parts it sounds nice and with the options to upgrade it will be a good trans if properly built. The warranty isn't bad too, although it will not help me here...
I'm a little curious why they use still somewhat big converters on their builds. I thought for trans in that range 9.5 diameter converters are the better choice. The converter price itself looks to me a bit low. I didn't want to go with an el cheapo reman stock converter...
Contact them direct, they have an 800 numbers for outside the US.

The convertor that comes with the tranny is more likely geared towards street use. Ask them about an upgrade as well as their thoughts.
Old 14th-January-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Bouncer

I will do that. Thanks for your help!
Old 14th-January-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
Notalent

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1971 Chevelle 496ci, TH40
If you want to go with someone reputable, give my good buddy Greg a call @ Phoenix Transmission. He has a VERY good rep and does great work. Built the TH400 in my Chevelle and I seel about 100 of his transmissions a year, never 1 problem. If you call him tell him Brandon with ATK ENGINES sent you.

http://www.phoenixtrans.com/GM_Transmissions.html
Old 14th-January-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
If you want to go with someone reputable, give my good buddy Greg a call @ Phoenix Transmission. He has a VERY good rep and does great work. Built the TH400 in my Chevelle and I seel about 100 of his transmissions a year, never 1 problem. If you call him tell him Brandon with ATK ENGINES sent you.

http://www.phoenixtrans.com/GM_Transmissions.html
Thanks Brandon! A buddy has a Phoenix 200r4 and he is happy with it. I just forget about it... They have fair prices too. I think i give it a try, always better than a company nowbody knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement