Home made trunk enclosure almost done! 1st gen - Page 3 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29th-December-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
dave's63

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1964 Chevy Nova 400 4 Doo
Nice idea, count me in when you get template measurements all tee'd up. Looking forward to seeing finished result.

QUOTE=Esteban mejia;1985089]Well I was bored a few days ago, I can't drive my nova until I rebuild the trans, which I'm hoping will be by next month, so anyways I was bored thinking what else can I do to my nova that would make it that much cooler and cleaner looking without spending a lot of money, the trunk. I thought it would be cool to make panels and wrap them in foam and cover them in vinyl, I didn't know how to go about it so I searched for examples but didn't really find what I was looking for so I just made it up as I went along and so far it's looking pretty good, I'm surprised, but anyways here's some pictures of my week so far.

I just started by tracing the floor hump in the trunk to get the sharp down and then I just started lightly trimming it until it fit snug under the rear quarter panel

Again I started measuring and trimming up pieces of cardboard and taped them for mock up. I had to go back a few times to trim up the section that needed clearance for the trunk hinge,

Then next day I went to Home Depot and bought 3 sheets of MDF (2) 1/2 thick and (1) 3/4 thick, cost me 30 bucks, got home and started tracing the templates I made, and pull out the jig saw and started cutting

Here's the first piece , came out spot on, any imperfections or small gaps will be gone with the foam and vinyl.

Second piece, in which has been cut more for hinge clearance, alot more actually after this picture was taken

The piece that shoots straight to the back seat had to get trimmed up after the center wall was cut out. But that's there idea,

3/4" wall was a bit frustrating at first to find a starting point, I ended up just measuring the dip in the trunk and worked my way up, definitely measure (more) just so when I went to cut, I wouldn't over shoot it and cut too much, but I did have to go back and measure like 10 times before making another cut,each time I trimmed it up,

Perfect timing too because my trunk carpet that was on back order showed up that night so I was able to throw it in and get a bedders feel of how things are going to fit.

Center panel cut out and fits great!

So pretty much what I did to the passenger's side I just flipped and did to the drivers side but It did need to be trimmed up differently, they werent exactly the same also because the inner wheel well on the drivers side comes up alot closer than the passengers side, so they did have their differences

And here's finished look/mockup !

This next week I will start sticking the 1/2 foam and mocking up the car amp to the center wall, and lastly the vinyl and panel supports

More pictures on the way as I move along [/QUOTE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th-December-2012, 10:11 AM   #32
dave's63

Nova(s): 1964 Chevy Nova 400 4 Doo
Flyer, what photo edit application do you use to draw in the yellow lines ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the FLYER View Post
not criticizing i think what you're doing is cool...but the areas i marked, if you look at this and the other images... these two sides don't look symmetrical.

maybe? or is it the images?

looks great though, look even better when upholstered.

Old 6th-January-2013, 01:58 AM   #33
66KRUZER

Nova(s): 1966 chevy II 2 dr sedan
I'm really diggin' it! Can't wait to see the end result. Nice work and keep that ball rolling!

Anybody know the difference between 1st and 2nd gen dimensions for this template. I'm curious how close they would be. I know the shape of the 1/4 panels are different but maybe the interior dimensions could be really close???
Old 7th-January-2013, 07:17 PM   #34
69bigblock

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1969 nova
I hate the internet. It gives you too many ideas... SHUT this site down.
Old 7th-January-2013, 07:33 PM   #35
the FLYER

Nova(s): B Pillar of Society
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave's63 View Post
Flyer, what photo edit application do you use to draw in the yellow lines ?

"Paint"
'64 411 377-Tko600-3:73's
'64 469, '63 435 (projects), & '63 469 (my driver)

Videos~Albums
Old 7th-January-2013, 08:42 PM   #36
Esteban mejia

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 63 nova ss
UPDATE!! trunk enclosure!!!

well ive been really busy these past few weeks and tried squeezing all i could on the trunk build. it is moving along, slowly but surely.. now for some pics!! i have a lot of pics but im just going to post the ones that count!! no need to post a million different angles of the same pic so here we go.

started wrapping the panels with foam. used 3m spray...could have worked better.

the battery was very helpful since i only have 2 hands. lol

all glued

flipped it and let the glue dry a bit

cut the vinyl to size

started wraping the vinyl and stapled it all together. i cut the vinyl in pieces to really bring in the corners and get every wrinkle out. and it came out pretty good

here is one of the panels mocked up and fits very nicely!!! yaaay

i got lazy and tried to get a visual on where the amp was going to go, worked for me, .....i did do some double checking measurements after this. sorry for the crappy quality

made an outline and marked the hole that needed to be drilled out and where my wire would feed through

about to start gluing and wrapping the back wall. this one took forever!!

and the finished results on the wall, disregard my face, yes i was actually happy about it

i still need to wrap those 2 small corner pieces but again i just havent had alot of time, but anyway heres an idea of how its going to look like. im really happy with the results so far.

so i still have to finish laying down dynamat and wire everything up. more pics soon!!!
Old 7th-January-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
J-Rod

Nova(s): 1970 nova prostreet
Looks great so far

on a side note, Im glad to see im not the only one who works on my car parts in the kitchen
Old 7th-January-2013, 09:17 PM   #38
Esteban mejia

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Looks great so far

on a side note, Im glad to see im not the only one who works on my car parts in the kitchen
thanks! haha i know its a bad habit of mine, good thing i only feel like working on my car when i cant go to bed, so im usually up till 3am working away while everyone is sleeping, my mother would kill me if she found out i was doing all of this in the kitchen/living room, especially with that nasty 3M spray, i cleaned up though!!! shhhhhhhhhh.
Old 7th-January-2013, 11:07 PM   #39
ces63ss

you forgot to do the dishes. lol
looks really good.
Old 8th-January-2013, 12:12 AM   #40
jimys72

Nova(s): 72 Nova, 78 Elcamino
if everyone was in bed who took the picture.jk. Looks very good. I think I'll have to steal that idea.
Old 8th-January-2013, 12:18 AM   #41
Esteban mejia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimys72 View Post
if everyone was in bed who took the picture.jk. Looks very good. I think I'll have to steal that idea.
Thank you! yeah The side panels were done at my house and the pic of me holding the wall/amp was taken at my girlfriends house, I finished it up at her house those were 2 different days
Old 8th-January-2013, 01:31 AM   #42
lugnut

Nova(s): 62676769
Looks really good! Nice job.
Old 20th-January-2013, 03:46 AM   #43
Esteban mejia

Update on my trunk build !!! Finished.... For the most part :)

Well I pretty much finished my trunk build, and have a few pics, I'm still contemplating making a flush panel to cover the trunk striker, ill have updates on that soon, but anyways here's the finished product! Oh yeah and I think of blacking out all of my trim, I already did my bumper, but anyways enjoy.

Old 30th-June-2013, 12:47 AM   #44
novaskilling

Title: Nova Newbie
Awesome job dude looks killer! Do you have any pics of how you supported the panels?
Old 30th-June-2013, 02:24 AM   #45
no go nova

Nova(s): 1966 nova
I wish I could rate this came out great:thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement