Finally! Starting on my 64SS! - Page 15 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th-November-2012, 06:34 PM   #211
64SSOwner

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1964 Nova SS
Front and rear glass is in! What a PITA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd-January-2013, 12:55 PM   #212
64SSOwner

First of all, thank you all for the compliments, I really appreciate the support!

I did get the quarter reveal moldings installed by using a dremmel to shave some of the thickness down. Once they're installed you can't see the anti rattle strip. I also used rivets in them for peace mind.

I got my side mirrors installed. They are OER brand. Like everything else that is aftermarket, the fit isn't that great. The quality of the part is good, and the chrome is great, it's just that you have to mess with them to get it to fit. In this case, I positioned them so they didn't hit the reveal molding. This puts them into the curve of the door a little bit. Because of this, the little tab on the bracket that catches on the mirror isn't long enough to engage. I fixed the problem by welding extra material onto the bracket, then grinding it into shape. Adds a lot of extra time to something that should take a minute to install!

I also got my Trim Parts door handles installed along with the door locks. These were another headache. The problem was that the holes in the door didn't quite line up with the door handle. I don't know if the problem is with the handles or door skin, but I would think its probably the door skin. If I could do it again I would fit EVERYTHING while in primer. I got them in by carefully filing the holes. This sounds simple, but my car is painted, complicating the procedure. Filing a hole like this, the paint can flake very easily. I ended up using a razor knife to cut the paint in the hole first, then filed in one direction from paint to metal. Pushing the paint instead of pulling, if that makes sense. After about 4 hours of sweating, I got them on there! The handles fit flat against the door and the quality of chrome is superb. They also feel nice and solid after installation.

I also started on my engine and front light wiring. I'm really slow at this! I decided I should pretty much run all the wires to see where everything ends up before cutting or wrapping them. I ended up running the wires under the inner fenders and core support lip, then holding them with a cable clamp. That way the only thing visible is a small button head on the engine side. After I get them all laid out where I want them, I'll cut them to length, then wrap them in braided wire wrap, then finish the end with heat shrink.

I used wire grommets where the wires pass through the inner fenders and core support. Not an ideal situation running wiring in the wheel well, but this isn't going to be a DD.

Next on the list is more wiring, battery relocation to the trunk, and mounting my fuel tank.

Gary
Old 3rd-January-2013, 12:57 PM   #213
Kid63

Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS
You are making me jealous Sweet looking nova. I hope to be there soon

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=210662
Old 3rd-January-2013, 01:19 PM   #214
64SSOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid63 View Post
You are making me jealous Sweet looking nova. I hope to be there soon
I've been following along on your progress, man you've gone to town on that car! I thought I did a lot of metal work until I saw your thread. Keep up the good work, you'll get there!
Old 3rd-January-2013, 03:19 PM   #215
Deuce1963

Title: Nova Senior Member
Looking good Gary!! Now you know why mine is still in primer and will be for a while...thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it LOL
Old 3rd-January-2013, 03:38 PM   #216
64SSOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce1963 View Post
Looking good Gary!! Now you know why mine is still in primer and will be for a while...thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it LOL
I've never built a car like this before. It has definitely been a learning experience lol! I always wondered why people would put a whole car together and drive it around in primer. Now I now why. If I could do it again I would probably go the same route!
Old 3rd-January-2013, 04:53 PM   #217
eddy

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 62
What a byuuueeeetiiful car!! And the restored trim looks amazing. Keep up the good work.
Old 4th-January-2013, 02:43 AM   #218
asteeler4life

Nova(s): 1962 'VERT 1966 SS
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

62INLINE 6 GROUP
66 NOVA SS COUPE INC.
Old 4th-January-2013, 08:37 AM   #219
62 NovaWagon

Nova(s): 62 LongRoof with Inline 6
Car is BADASS..
Old 4th-January-2013, 02:35 PM   #220
64SSOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
What a byuuueeeetiiful car!! And the restored trim looks amazing. Keep up the good work.
Thank you, I'm really glad I put all the trim back on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteeler4life View Post
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!
Thank you! I've been following along on your cars too, the vert is lookin' good! Keep the updates coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 NovaWagon View Post
Car is BADASS..
Thank you I really appreciate it!
Old 4th-January-2013, 07:39 PM   #221
dlcracing

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 64 SS
WOW - ive seen some threads with pics and rebuild process well explained to the T ... yet yours, yours is well composed & to the point - concise!!! if i do anything further to my 64 SS i only hope i follow in your footsteps (although i wouldn't be spending time w/pops making a mustang 2 front - id probably have go to the market for that one!) needless to say, i can't wait to see progress and in person one day'

thank you - dlcracing out
Old 4th-January-2013, 08:30 PM   #222
dealer-deuce

Nova(s): A FAKE 63 NOVA
Nice job!!

Great attention to detail!! that is a sweeeeet 64SS it takes some serious
patience to do things right!! in the end it is all worth it!! NICE JOB!!

Charlie p.
Old 8th-January-2013, 03:49 PM   #223
64SSOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcracing View Post
WOW - ive seen some threads with pics and rebuild process well explained to the T ... yet yours, yours is well composed & to the point - concise!!! if i do anything further to my 64 SS i only hope i follow in your footsteps (although i wouldn't be spending time w/pops making a mustang 2 front - id probably have go to the market for that one!) needless to say, i can't wait to see progress and in person one day'

thank you - dlcracing out
Thank you, I'm glad that it's helped you out! I can't wait to get the car done and meet some others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer-deuce View Post
Great attention to detail!! that is a sweeeeet 64SS it takes some serious
patience to do things right!! in the end it is all worth it!! NICE JOB!!

Charlie p.
Thank you for the compliments Charlie, I really appreciate it! It's been hard at times to keep my patience for sure.

So I just got my OER fuel tank hardware kit and anti-squeak kit, so I decided to mount my tank to get it out of the way. I got my tank painted up and a new sender installed so time to mount it. Should be easy enough, right? Wrong! The OER anti-squeak rubber is made with a recess meant to fit over the tank straps, putting a lip on both sides of one side. The problem is that the rubber measures 1" across the groove (between the lips) and the straps measure 1 1/8". There is no way to get the strap to seat in the groove like it's supposed to.

I ended up cutting the lip off the rubber, turning it upside down and glueing them to the straps. Hopefully the glue will keep the straps from shifting around... On the plus side, the OER fuel tank hardware kit fit perfectly so it bolted right up.

You would think its a new tank except for all the dents in it!
Old 23rd-January-2013, 10:12 PM   #224
64SSOwner

Finally! Starting on my 64SS!

My Christmas present from my wife finally arrived today! She ordered it on December 10th, took them a while to build it. It was worth the wait, the quality is very good and it took me about 5 minutes to bolt it in to see how it fit. I can't wait to try it out, I hope it keeps me cool!

I also got the wiring kit for it. Does anybody know how it gets integrated into the AAW classic update kit? The orange wire says it's the electric fan lead...

Old 7th-March-2013, 02:48 PM   #225
64SSOwner

Finally! Starting on my 64SS!

Here are some pictures of the progress. Was hoping to be done by now, by my 1 year old has been keeping me really busy!

I got my chrome alternator and compressor mounted on Alan Grove brackets that I powder coated.

I got an Edelbrock pump to carb fuel line kit and filter. I had to shorten the hose to make it look right. It was way too long. I watched a YouTube video on AN fittings. They are really simple and nice. I'm using the stock fuel line to the tank and modifying it from the firewall to the pump to fit the clip. I'll probably cut if off at the firewall and bend up a new piece from there to the pump.

I'm almost completely done with the front light and engine harness. The wires are all wrapped and hidden behind the inner fender panel and under the front core support. I still need to run the wires for the compressor and A/C switch that goes on the drier.

I got a steering linkage kit from Tim (Ibuildem), and it fit perfect with the Sanderson block huggers. I modified the zbar that came with my car to fit nice and snug. I used a return spring kit to keep the linkage attached to the fork and made another bracket to keep the pedal at the top of travel so the bearing doesn't rest on the pressure plate from pedal weight. I had to make a hole in the inner fender and a bracket to support the bar on the outside of the frame.

I made a template and added rubber sheeting to cover the holes that the a-arms come through in the inner fender panels. I did the same thing for the zbar bracket hole. I used black 6-32 cap screws to attach the rubber to the inner fenders. I bought a punch from McMaster Carr to put holes in the rubber. It worked great!

I got my new repop grill mounted up. I forgot how much of a pain it is. I still need to do a little work to get the hood pin to line up and get the headlight bezels where I want them.

I got most of the A/C lines run and cut to length. Just need to haul them to So-Cal speed shop to get crimped. I still have to figure out the evaporator lines to the bulkheads so I will wait and get them done all at once. I ended up buying loose barrier hose and fittings to create my own custom hoses.

I got the radiator harness mounted and installed. I bought the entropy harness and cut it all apart and modified it so I could hide the wires along with the rest of my harness. I mounted the fuses and relays underneath the radiator. They will also be behind the front bumper once I get that on.

My front buckets and rear seat are at the upholsterer getting the seat covers installed. I also gave him the brand new seat medallions I got from chevy 2 only. I'm excited to see them after he's done. He also said he would come to my house to install the carpet and head liner, which is nice because I don't feel comfortable doing it.

These pics are kind of random, but hopefully you get the idea!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement