my 77 427 5 speed out of the dust - Page 4 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 4th Generation Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd-December-2012, 11:14 PM   #46
77-427-5sp

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1977 nova bb 427 5sp tko
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimrobertson View Post
Really nice work you are doing!
well i do not show you the hack stuff

thanks just still trying to make look like the 427 was born there ,plus fix all the hacked up stuff from over the years all that left to do under the hood is repair and run engine wire harness and put in the dist and bolt down the carb
Advertisement

Old 3rd-December-2012, 12:27 AM   #47
kimrobertson

Nova(s): 79 Phoenix
Well I know that attention to detail takes time & patience! (maybe money too!) Looking good!
Old 3rd-December-2012, 03:19 PM   #48
Glenn

Nova(s): 1966 Chevy II Wagon
Good to see you still at it, keep pressing on, the engine looks like it belongs in there.
Well done!
Old 3rd-December-2012, 07:09 PM   #49
77-427-5sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Good to see you still at it, keep pressing on, the engine looks like it belongs in there.
Well done!
thanks i only seem to ave time to work on it for few weeks in dec jan if i do not get ready to at least roll out by then end jan it will end in the cellar for another year
Old 9th-December-2012, 10:01 PM   #50
77-427-5sp

oil psi sending unit

well got a little done ,got the oil psi sending unit , seemed like i simple thing to do , frist attempt above oil filter no go z bar /linkage clearance problems
then it to drivers side oil passage ,pull last plug near front it 1/4 thread not 1/8 thread like the lighter duty block
so off to the internet for a little research i wanted a 1/4 thread because i did not any adaptors less chance of breakage
1980 454 with gauges c20
Old 12th-December-2012, 07:55 AM   #51
77-427-5sp

more de hacking

the problem with owning a car a long time (1984) if sometimes you find the things you did on budget late at night with friends, and still had drive the car home may not been the best idea

well under the car looking up i notice rear brake lines hanging in the air not attached to the body or axle

well that bronco 9 inch that i put in using Lincoln mark v disc brakes needs some love

the brakes never really worked , mostly because of problem i have already fixed up front

brake lines on the mark v brakes point the wrong direction and i was never able to rig up the emergency

so after Christmas the rear brake dehacking begins

1 remove the 1/2 wheel studs and put back in 7/16 so if i get new wheels they fit right

2 remove mark 5 stuff

3 change the brackets so i can use gm metric calipers (80s regal ect]

anybody that used the gm metric what did you use for emergency brake cables and how did it work out ?
Old 12th-December-2012, 03:31 PM   #52
Philip

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1977
The park brake cables were not an issue to install, the metric caliper itself is very prone to problems. After a year on my 77 they were removed and replaced with a set up used on the 98 - 02 F body, or what most refer to as LS brakes.
Old 12th-December-2012, 03:42 PM   #53
77-427-5sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The park brake cables were not an issue to install, the metric caliper itself is very prone to problems. After a year on my 77 they were removed and replaced with a set up used on the 98 - 02 F body, or what most refer to as LS brakes.
oops wish i had know that , well i got them allready , they got to be better then the mark 5 ones i got now and they sure are lighter

do the 98 - 02 F body units fit in your same brackets

thanks for you help i found info on the cables later on your build page
Old 12th-December-2012, 06:51 PM   #54
Nova1978

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1978
Quote:
oops wish i had know that , well i got them allready , they got to be better then the mark 5 ones i got now and they sure are lighter

The ls1 brakes use their own bracket because it uses an in hat style parking brake that looks similar to a drum brake. They also require 17 inch wheels, but are far superior to the "metric" calipers. If 17 inch wheels aren't in the budget, I have found people who are using the rear disc setup from a 98-03? 4wd blazer. They look very close to the same thing as the ls1 brakes, but can fit inside a 15 inch wheel. Don't know how either ls1 or blazer setup will interface with the flange on that 9 inch though.... Might require some drilling.
Old 12th-December-2012, 10:11 PM   #55
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77-427-5sp View Post

The cables I used were from the donor car and both ran down the drivers side. Cables can be purchased or made to tie into the existing park brake intermediate cable. I moved my drivers side shock to make the install of the brakes easier.

As said the Blazer/S10 rear discs will work with 15" wheels, here is a "how to" link with parts needed.

The link shows the parts to install with shocks in the stock location.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...=s10+rear+disc
Old 12th-December-2012, 11:09 PM   #56
77-427-5sp

this is what i am going to try

Bracket Kit only for PEM Bolt On Rear Disc Brake Kit for 9" Ford with GM Metric Brake Calipers

This kit includes bolt-on caliper brackets with hardware and bolts for one 9" Ford Rear End.
Bracket Kit fits both the 9" Ford Torino 3/8" and Old Style Large Ford 1/2" Housing Ends with a 3.15" OD Bearing shown in picture above.
This bracket kits ONLY fits the housing ends with 3.15" OD Bearing!
The rotor size would be 11-1/4" OD and using the '78-'88 GM Metric brake calipers (rotors and brake caliper kit NOT Included).
Brake offset is changed with included spacers.

this was 80 dollars

the metric e-brake caliper were 50 each

as for rotors i am hopefully reusing tme mark v disc that are allready on the car

as for cables and hoses i was going to replace them any how and the gm metric gm stuff is much cheaper and alot easier to find
should have most everything by sat if so i take some pics
Old 13th-December-2012, 11:55 AM   #57
Philip

The down side of that type of bracket is it does not support the caliper over the center line of the rotor. There are rotational forces apples to the caliper when braking and these types of brackets place the force on the slide pins which are not designed for that types of use.

I do not know what the Ford bracket looks like but here are photos of some GM rear disc caliper brackets.

89 Camaro

This one is from an 82 Eldorado and was used on my 77.

Here is the install using after market brackets

Things to watch for when using the after market brackets are rear brake chattering, uneven pad wear, caliper binding causing poor braking and calipers not returning fully due to bent slide pins.

Things I experienced using the GM rear metric calipers on GM brackets were
Prone to leaking around park brake shaft in caliper
Difficult to bleed air out during initial install
Pads not staying adjusted even with regular use of park brake
Park brake failing to hold car
Old 13th-December-2012, 01:22 PM   #58
77-427-5sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The down side of that type of bracket is it does not support the caliper over the center line of the rotor. There are rotational forces apples to the caliper when braking and these types of brackets place the force on the slide pins which are not designed for that types of use.

I do not know what the Ford bracket looks like but here are photos of some GM rear disc caliper brackets.

89 Camaro

This one is from an 82 Eldorado and was used on my 77.

Here is the install using after market brackets

Things to watch for when using the after market brackets are rear brake chattering, uneven pad wear, caliper binding causing poor braking and calipers not returning fully due to bent slide pins.

Things I experienced using the GM rear metric calipers on GM brackets were
Prone to leaking around park brake shaft in caliper
Difficult to bleed air out during initial install
Pads not staying adjusted even with regular use of park brake
Park brake failing to hold car
thanks for the help , i must say i am more then a little unhappy about this brake thing , i already purchased the parts now i own them
the stupid thing is i did research first in found no complaints , but just looking at you pics tells me that this set up is only i minor upgrade from what i had before , granted this car will only get about 1000 miles a year
Old 13th-December-2012, 01:35 PM   #59
77-427-5sp

i think i like eldo bracket better then the one i got
and it looks to be stamped steel so it could be weld / modified if needed
Old 13th-December-2012, 08:18 PM   #60
Philip

Sorry was not trying to make you feel bad. I did want you aware of what I have experienced. It should help knowing what things to watch for. Make sure your brake warning light in the dash is working, it alerted me when the caliper started leaking long before it was a safety issue. It will also come on if the adjustment gets way off.