What to do?? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 4th Generation Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th-December-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Philip

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1977
What to do??

Last night at a local drive in show n shine a guy asked a lot of questions about my 77. He like the car, the way it was built and at the end asked if I would consider selling it. I told him not for a price anyone would pay...he said try me.
Told him bottom dollar would be $20k, he was still interested and took my name and number. From others that knew him at the show I was told he is a no nonsense kind of guy and has many nice cars including the 55 Bel Air he was in, a 57 Nomad wagon, a 63 split window Corvette and a few Fords.
Really do not know what to do if he calls back. IMO the price is above market value, but less than I have spent to get it where it is.

Old 7th-December-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Nova 404

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 1967 Nova SS
Tough call,if he is a no nonsence kind of guy you should just be able to talk to him.If the 20k is low tell him it was off the cuff and you have since dug out you reciepts and have "X" in it and are not really interested in selling it,but everything is for sale for a price.If your bored with it let it go,but I suspect your not.
Old 7th-December-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
65novaken

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 65 ss
i wouldnt lose sleep over it. most of these guys are just yappers.
Old 7th-December-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Philip

Nova(s): 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 404 View Post
If your bored with it let it go,but I suspect your not.
No, not yet anyway. Still love driving it. I will be at the same show next Thursday, see what happens then. Mary has suggested not to sell. She has seen every bit of the work that was done, saw the smiles and endured the anger when things were not going well.
Old 7th-December-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
the FLYER

Nova(s): B Pillar of Society
sell that sukka and get yerself a 1st genner wagon
'64 411 377-Tko600-3:73's
'64 469, '63 435 (projects), & '63 469 (my driver)

Videos~Albums
Old 7th-December-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
taz3

Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
I had a similar thing happen with my #'s car, a few years back. I threw an outrageous number to scare him off, he just asked when he could see it! I just wasn't ready to sell it even at an overinflated price and told him it really wasn't for sale. I still have the car unrestored and have never regretted not selling it.

If you're ok with the number you put out, and will be ok to, then sell it, don't worry if he's over paying, that's up to the buyer. If you're not ready then let him know it's just not the right time for you to sell yet. If you think you'll regret it, then don't sell it.

Old 7th-December-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
LMH

Nova(s): 1972 Nova
Seems to me 20K is not the "crazy money" price. More like 30K would be "crazy money". But the bottom line is what the car means to you and I think it means more to you than 20K.

Just don't go over to the dark side (1st gen).

On a side note watched two seemingly nice 3rd gens go for less than 14K at Mechum on TV today. That was hard to watch.

Last edited by LMH; 7th-December-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 7th-December-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
dlezama

Nova(s): 76Concours 77MalibuRally
Id put it this way... what would the cost of an acceptable replacement (of any kind) be? Could you get it with 20 grand? Consider in the cost of the car not only the money spent but the personal work and involvement... THAT is hard to replace and the most expensive part of the equation.

Now, for discussion sake, you can find a pristine, 10K mile 4th gen that is brand new squeaky clean original to modify or preserve to your hearts content for no more than 8-10 grand... They are out there although you may have to chase em nationwide...

Good luck with your decision... its a good exercise to have a REALLY outrageous figure in mind for that special moment when the oddball millionaire comes along...
Old 7th-December-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
sbc1320

Nova(s): Working on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Just don't go over to the dark side (1st gen).
If he is gonna do that he might as well come to the light and get himself a 3rd gen.
70 Nova 350 Sold
71 Nova 350 Sold
Old 8th-December-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
Markangie24

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1978 Nova Coupe 9C1.
I watched the build on your car and I do not believe $20K is enough money for it at all. I would not sell my one of one 1978 9C1 coupe with 30K original and full documentation for under $25K!! As my wife puts it, labor of love. There is nothing wrong with 4th Gen Nova's pulling fair money. You can always ask what you want and the buyer can pay what he is willing to pay!!
Old 9th-December-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
darricks77nova

Nova(s): 1977 nova base
hey man i hope you do what your heart tells ya that is one nice nova i hope mine can come along like yours and i agree you cannot get back the work days and effort you put into it you can only get the cash that they hand you and i think that i can say that you and your car inspired alot of 4th genners out there so please dont sell your self short. sure there will be other novas out there but its not the same when you dont have the one you put all your blood sweat and tears into
Old 9th-December-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
kimrobertson

Nova(s): 79 Phoenix
Philip -Your creativity, hard work and knowledge (not to mention money!) have produced a unique and beautiful car -- a real work of art, mechanically speaking. The ways you adapted and blended other parts (Olds, Cadillac,newer aftermarket, etc) in a way that works well produced a true hot rod in the classic sense. If you aren't bored with it, I'd keep it!

On the other hand if you are going to need the money out of it, sooner rather than later might be the best time to sell, given the econiomic uncertainties of today.
Old 9th-December-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
1977Chad350

Nova(s): 1977 Nova 1978 Nova
I think you should hold on to it and one day if you decide to part with her. Sell it to someone who will drive and take care of it, even if it is a young person. Im almost 30 now, I got my 77 when I was 13 my dad bought it for me as a project. I still have the 78 nova bought years ago and took years to get the owner to part with it. I also owned a 70 ss 393 project, 72 v8 a/c car, and a 74 at one time. But I have sold all the 3rd gen novas. The 3rd gen is my fav body style. But I regret selling the 72, If I ever got another chance to get a 3rd gen project I would keep it for life. All of my friends still have there first cars.

My whole point is If I had to sell mine, I would just make sure it went to someone that would love it just as much as I do.
Old 9th-December-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
TMack63nova

Nova(s): 1963 Chevy II / Nova Conv
If your not going to lose money and stand to make some money, sell and but another Nova!!

Just my

Old 10th-December-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
ss75nova

If your asking if I owned your Nova would I sell it. NO!!!

But my Nova will never be as customized as yours is. In my opinion you have built a super nova that screams to be driven, and from what I can tell you do drive it. But this offer was made to you, what will you do?
Advertisement