67 4 door restore - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 27th-November-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Rick's674dr

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 67 chevy II 4 door
67 4 door restore

Im going to take this build slow and simple, as i want to do this right..A friend of mine gave me this car in hopes i would finish it out, and thats exactly what im going to do. At first i wanted to put it all back to original, but after thinking about it i decided to do a custom restore on it. The car has a straight 6 for a motor and a 2 speed power glide trans. I want to keep both of those, i will be rebuilding both of them, the only thing in that department is i want to either split the exhaust manifold or run a Y pipe and run dual exhaust on the car. The car has no interior so i will be looking for that, and i ned to weld a new floor pan in it as this one is rusted out really bad. Other than that the body is in pretty good shape. it has a little rust on the left lower quarter panel i need to do some welding on. this car will have absolutely no bondo on it. My next decision is i thibk the car came out with a bench seat, but think i might want to go with bucket seats. ok time for a few pics .

This is of it when it arrived at the house

a little rust down here

a little bit of body work on the trunk and bumper

more pics as i get more work done on it..getting ready to move it in the polebarn this weekend

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th-November-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
67nova73

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 73 and a 67 Nova
Do you have all the part(s) for it ....???

If not, I have a few part(s) laying around, if your interested.....
Old 27th-November-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Rick's674dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67nova73 View Post
Do you have all the part(s) for it ....???

If not, I have a few part(s) laying around, if your interested.....
I think i do.. this weekend will be the first chance i get to go over the car..if not i will let you know.

Rick
Old 27th-November-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
67nova73

Anytime and Good Luck

If you need anything, feel free to throw a line or 4
Old 27th-November-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Rick's674dr

next on the list

can anyone recommend power steering unit for the car..i was told they make a rack n pinion for it..links would be great, , also what would be a good disc brake system.

thanks

Rick
Old 28th-November-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
67nova73

Heres a kick to a start .....

These are just some input regarding at what you may be looking for .....

Just shop around to get a better deal ....

http://www.churchboysracing.com/62-6...on-conversion/

http://www.summitracing.com/search/m.../brake-systems
Old 28th-November-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
DrKrazy

Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II 4DR
Looks like a nice project, keep the updates and pics coming
Old 28th-November-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Rick's674dr

this weekend the car is going in the polebarn and im going to remove the front fenders, hood, trunk deck, also going to start the removal process of the engine and trans. i have a question though. i want to put a r&p steering system in the car..i have a few links so what do you guys and gal's run on yours..do you use drop spindles, offset rotors, bs'ing. i want to run 17's on the car..my original plan was to run 19's on the front and 20's on the rear but i changed my mind on that as i dont thik they will fit. Just getting some ideas for the car.

Rick
Old 2nd-December-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Rick's674dr

got some work done today...blocked the left rear quater panel some and took the tailight lens cover off the car..wanted to take pics but i got dark on me..will take pics when i get home from work tomorrow.

Rick
Old 2nd-December-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Nova1963T

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Chevy Nova
Hard to say what kinda shape its in from the pics. Is she solid? I always liked the look of the second gens. Good luck with her. If your going through all the trouble of restoring it and not going back to totally original why are you sticking with the old inline 6? I had a 194inline and I hated it because I couldn't merge on the freeway and in washington trying to merge infront of anyone is like engaging in a drag race.

I would at the very least upgrade to a 230 inline if its not, which was a factory option. You could even put a 283 or 327 v8 infront of that PG and they were factory options tho the nova block v8's are subtly different a regular one will fit and look pretty much the same with a nova pan and manifolds.

I always thought'd itd be funny to take a 350 and disguise it as a factory set up 283. Put all the 283 decals on it.. Maybe even modify the 283 2bbl air cleaner to fit on a honkin 4bbl.

IMO tho its all up to you its your project. Just putting out my 2c .

-Tom
Old 2nd-December-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
Rick's674dr

she is pretty solid..most rust is in the floor panal which im replacing. The car didnt have any interior with it so i dont know if it had bucket seats or a bench seat, seeing its a 4 dr i would asume it had a bench seat..my question is if it had a bench seat .can i put bucket seats in it.i got a line on some buckets, but dont want to spend the cash on them if i cant use them.

as far as the inline.it has the 230 inline in it..i thought it would be pretty cool to dress this 6 up and let her run. Mind is not made up completely up though, so we will see.

Rick
Old 2nd-December-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
62 NovaWagon

Nova(s): 62 LongRoof with Inline 6
If you're going for the cruiser deal keep the IL6 they're cool and they have torque..
Old 2nd-December-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
Nova1963T

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Chevy Nova
My inline 6 was sick (bad rings, and bearings, and vacuum leaks I could never find) and a 194 though so I'm not a very good judge of their performance The 230 is a good engine though. Some people dress em up. You can put a 194 head on em and add some HP. Maybe a 2bbl carb and HEI and I bet it'd scream. I've even seen headers for em. You could run a y and have duals if you wanted.

I got talked into a v8 by my friends.. I was originally going to drop a 230 or 250 inline in my car. Plus at my age 22 it feels good to be able to grease up my hair, step on the peddle, and beat all those annoying loud 4 cyl hondas with the coffee cans and plastic body kits on em that I see other guys my age driving. All show and no go. I actually got BETTER gas mileage when I went to the 283. But its probably because its a fresh engine and not an old dieing knock box.
Old 2nd-December-2012, 11:38 PM   #14
62 NovaWagon

Nova(s): 62 LongRoof with Inline 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova1963T View Post
My inline 6 was sick (bad rings, and bearings, and vacuum leaks I could never find) and a 194 though so I'm not a very good judge of their performance The 230 is a good engine though. Some people dress em up. You can put a 194 head on em and add some HP. Maybe a 2bbl carb and HEI and I bet it'd scream. I've even seen headers for em. You could run a y and have duals if you wanted.
The 250 is the better choice if you have the clearance the 292 is a torque monster, the 194 head has a smaller chamber so it increases compression, actually a 4bbl is better for mileage cruising since the primaries are smaller than the 2bbl, I'm seriously thinking of putting a Quadrajet on mine since the primaries are even smaller, and definitely an HEI..

Old 3rd-December-2012, 04:41 AM   #15
asteeler4life

Nova(s): 1962 'VERT 1966 SS
HERE'S MINE AND THE EXHAUST!
GOOD LUCK!

OH AND TRY CBR FOR THE RACK AND PINION!

62INLINE 6 GROUP
66 NOVA SS COUPE INC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement