71 (another midlife crissis) - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st-November-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
DrKrazy

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II 4DR
Wow, that is one gorgeous car. Color is great and looks like it was built well. I am also very curious about the air filter that got taken off and what it got replaced with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st-November-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
hotwheels000

Nova(s): '71 SS clone-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatNova71 View Post
Cool Car. If it were mine I'd get "Nova" emblems for the fenders and paint that chrome "simulated air vent" blue with chrome edges, but thats just me. Looks nice
Definetly painting the phony vents the proper motif when the weather gets better if they even stay.I havnt looked closely but I am really hoping they are attached in a manner that doest require repainting the fenders so I can remove them.Thanks for the suggestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc1320 View Post
So the air filter in your pictures was taken off for the dyno?

What filter did Craig use in it?
Dyno pulls were done with the filter top shown in earlier pics except the last pull where we used the cleanr he suggested for comparison, I will have to ask him the exact brand as I didnt bother since I ordered it thru their shop. I always try to support the local guys when I can.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 21st-November-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 21st-November-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
hotwheels000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKrazy View Post
Wow, that is one gorgeous car. Color is great and looks like it was built well. I am also very curious about the air filter that got taken off and what it got replaced with?
Sounds like I better make a call . I will swing by after the holidays and check with him and report back to you guys.

I personally thought it was "ugly"... but how else can you get that Hp gain for around 80'ish dollars. It was just a standard round looking cleaner about 13 or 14" in dia with the proper contours to allow the air to flow properly. It is avail in brushed alum,black,(with or without the chevrolet script) and a silver carbon weave looking type also.
Old 17th-December-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
hotwheels000

I was up at the local hobby shop the other day and somehow managed to come home with this. I forgot how much fun it is to build these things. I tried to get the color close to the 1:1.... added a tach detailed the dash like I want the bigin to look,etc. The wheels were pretty close to mine less the divots,tires, well I can always wish

Only real bummer is it isnt a 502

Now if Santa would get here soon and the weather would cooperate... I could get into the garage and start tinkering on the real one again.
Old 30th-December-2012, 12:45 AM   #20
hotwheels000

Was looking thru some old pics this week and found these of the 72 I had in the mid 80's. Kinda cool seeing pics of the car that made me want this one.

Old 13th-February-2013, 05:00 PM   #21
hotwheels000

First a follow up on the aircleaner that some folks where asking about. It is a superlight 14" part # 141-692 A quick google search pulled up this

http://discountperformanceauto.com/p...FQyg4AodRnAA4w

It is also available at many other retailers.
Old 13th-February-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
hotwheels000

I had the car in the shop again for a few other items. The motor was raised about a 1/4" to gain some clearance at the oil pan.

Then I asked them to address the leak coming from the trans. Turned out I have a mix matched set up,the main body is steel and tail shaft is alum. The sealing areas were not in complete alignment causing the leak. A quick bead with the tig to the alum and some surfacing resolved that.

Then it was time to replace the mini spool....another surprize, yeah... Turns out the pinion nut had come loose and in turn caused the pinion to walk/wobble a bit and bounce around some, inturn cracking the bearing support area. So, I ordered a new drop in from Randys ring and pinion(I have a freind who works there,great deal!!!!)
A week later that arrived and was installed,they set me up with a yukon set up good to over 1000hp I am told.

While it was on the lift the exhuast was welded(previosly just tacked)

I really have to hand it to the guys in the shop, they are very thorough.While it was in there hands they noticed 2 other items. Front disks and rotors where in need of some attention so a brake job was done. The other was kind like a ***. I drop it off and 10 min later get a call asking me if I new my fan was cutting into the shroud. Huh was my reply I did hear a unusual noise on the way to the shop but it wasnt anything that really caught my attention until they mentioned it. Happened in the 5 min drive down there...

I also managed to get 1 of the Tiburon seats mounted before the last trip to the shop.I will get the other one done soon with pics to follow of all of the above.

Next major mech item I want to address is the front and rear susp.

Soon I will be able to start on some of the asthetic items .... I want to have the interior re-upholstered, finish installing the console,tint the windows,etc..

Last edited by hotwheels000; 13th-February-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 13th-February-2013, 09:31 PM   #23
hotwheels000

And a burnout (click on pic for vid)

Old 13th-February-2013, 10:05 PM   #24
jsmart

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1967 Nova SS
Welcome. Your Nova looks good, and sounds good !!!
Old 14th-February-2013, 10:36 AM   #25
1969SS540

Nova(s): 1969 540 BB MARINA BLUE
Welcome to the site....nice ride!!!
Old 14th-February-2013, 10:49 AM   #26
hotwheels000

Thanks guys, so much info and a wealth of info here. I spend a fair amount of time readingand learning.
Old 24th-March-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
hotwheels000

I have slowly been plugging away at the little things I wanted to address,the weather is finally getting nicer in the PNW so I spent most of the day washing and waxing the car. My neighbor likes to take pics so we headed down to the warehouses and shot a few.

I had a chance a couple weeks ago to pic up these seats and now they are installed

And here is a pic of the new air cleaner,

Last edited by hotwheels000; 24th-March-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 24th-March-2013, 04:27 PM   #28
craigs73

Nova(s): soon to be pro-touring 73
nice looking car.....sounds great in the video i like the black and white pic of your car

73 Pro-tour build
Old 25th-March-2013, 10:14 AM   #29
hotwheels000

Thank you, I really like the B/W shots also. I have changed my screen saver at least a half dozen times in the last 2 days using the b/w shots.
Old 25th-March-2013, 02:18 PM   #30
Jayhawk500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
I am hopeing someone can tell me what year this dash bezel came out of. Mine is cracked as I mentioned.I dont know if it is the original but it doesnt have the" fasten seat belt" indicater in the dash.

This one does....

I would lie to use the pictured one,but at the same time it would be nice if it was the correct bezel
The bezel is from a '73-'74 Nova. The only two 3rd gen. years the "Fasten Seat Belt" light was in the bezel itself.

'74 Nova, 355 cid, Turbo 350. Front Disc Brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement