Portable garages - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Regional Chevy II/Nova Enthusiasts > Canadian Owners

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st-November-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Prairie Kid

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 68 rolling chassis
Portable garages

Just wondering what Canadian cities laws are for erecting portable garages, specifically edmonton, i plan on calling our city information line tomorrow, but wondering if people here have had any negative experiences with bylaw regarding them.

Im looking at what looks to be a nice one, 12x20 and 8 feet high nice walls, sloped roof, soft not solid siding. and i really want it to free up garage space and have a place i dont have to worry about messing up when i work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st-November-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
graymond

Nova(s): 1970 Acadian SS350
I would be worried about the wind. Have seen those things rolling down the street when I was living in Lethbridge.

I think I would only use one as a temp shelter, not for a regular garage.

Ray
Old 21st-November-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Prairie Kid

ive got the wind problem solved, i plan on bolting it into the cement, we have the proper drill for the cement at work, we had to set up canopies to do major hail damage repair to the vehicles on the lot. bolted into the cement, the sucker wont even budge
Old 21st-November-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
batman09

Nova(s): 1967 Ht & 1962 wagon
I have one...works great in california....I be most worried about snow in you case......it will not handle any snow weight at all.....probably not even 3 or 4 inches.....

1967 Nova-----Ls3/4L70e
Old 21st-November-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
taz3

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
Typically portable, temporary or non permanent structures have no issues with any by-laws, but it's alway good to be sure. I had 2 of them up for a couple years in Ontario, with no issues.

Old 21st-November-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
65novaken

Nova(s): 65 ss
it will hold snow temporary BUT you definately have to knock the snow off right away!!!
i got a cheap one from princess auto and wont recomend it.
buy a quality one!!!
Old 21st-November-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
taz3

Costco, and Canadian Tire seem to have higher quality ones, but they do have cheap ones too, so beware.

Old 21st-November-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
pastenseverb

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1976
I have a Costco garage. It's good quality but i'm sure the top (tarp) will rot in a couple of years. I use it for an awning for special occasions in the yard.
D
Old 21st-November-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
fencepost

Nova(s): 1972 SS clone
Are yall talking about tarp covered carports or the metal covered with metal square tube frame. In this area we call the square tube framed metal one's "portable carports".
Old 22nd-November-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Prairie Kid

im talking about the tube and tarp ones.

they wont hold snow unless i add reinforcement to the roof, it would need to be knocked off after each snowfall for sure.

i could only find bylaws regarding permanent structures. not temporary ones. a guy across the alley has one, but its in his backyard and he has a cargo gate that opens wide enough for a car, this yard im working in doesnt. it would basically be set up across the driveway from the garage, facing the back alley. current garage is parallel to the alley. so there would be about 10 feet for us to get into the garage. im just hoping there isnt any sort of dumb distances i need to give to the alley or the neighbours land that the main garage isnt already impeding on.

oh well, i will buy one anyways, if i cant set it up at the current location i'll throw it up in a buddies yard instead.

i just want somewhere i dont have to constantly pull the car out to work on, then back into the corners for room to park the driving ones. constantly setting up and tearing down my tools and car location is more than annoying, especially in cold weather.
Old 24th-November-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Stroker

Nova(s): '66/'67 ss clone
Definately needs to be bolted down. Be prepared to replace the tarp every few years. I've seen one collapse on a nice Dodge under snowload. No way you will build anything cheaper using wood.
Old 24th-November-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
65novaken

Nova(s): 65 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Kid View Post

i just want somewhere i dont have to constantly pull the car out to work on, then back into the corners for room to park the driving ones. constantly setting up and tearing down my tools and car location is more than annoying, especially in cold weather.
thats exactly why i got mine!
its working out quite well and now that its winter the car is in the garage and the tractor/snowblower is in the tent.things seem to be working out good....for now
Old 24th-November-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
taz3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastenseverb View Post
I have a Costco garage. It's good quality but i'm sure the top (tarp) will rot in a couple of years. I use it for an awning for special occasions in the yard.
D
My Dad has the yellow one and it's on it's 5th year of being up continually all year round. The only damage has been from heavy wet snow with no wind.

Old 25th-November-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
Prairie Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65novaken View Post
thats exactly why i got mine!
its working out quite well and now that its winter the car is in the garage and the tractor/snowblower is in the tent.things seem to be working out good....for now
the one im looking into should work well for me, i plan on putting plywood across the roof sections, under the tarp, chances are heavier snow will slide right off rather than sit there, and without the wood, it would sag, which is what the real problem is.

the location also isnt really susceptible to wind. you can tell its a windy day, but by being beside the garage, and with trees around, i could get away with supporting it to the fence it will sit by, enough brackets for a solid 3 point contact will keep it from going anywhere until i bolt it down.

lastly there may be issues. if i read the bylaws right, and depending if it fits under the type of structure. it may need to be too far away from property lines than i can deal with. im going to call the city info line tuesday and get it sorted out once and for all, i really want to do some more work on the car now that school is easing off as it goes into christmas break without having the extra crap work in pulling it out and then cleaning up again.
Old 3rd-December-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
arcmark

Nova(s): 1966 Nova SS 496ci 606hp
Buy one at Costco! They are great and have all the side and end curtains. Just make sure you tie it down and support the roof framing? They don't have a very good snow load. So,, look at your situation and prepare for the worst!!!!
Advertisement