Finally! Starting on my 64SS! - Page 14 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th-September-2012, 05:10 PM   #196
rebob

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 63 no post
Cars lookin GREAT buddy !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th-September-2012, 06:31 PM   #197
surfdog

Nova(s): 64wagon, 67wagon (SOLD)
Stunning! Well done!!! Very inspiring .
Old 14th-September-2012, 11:56 AM   #198
64SSOwner

Nova(s): 1964 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebob View Post
Cars lookin GREAT buddy !!!
Thank you! Your car has been a source of motivation for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
Stunning! Well done!!! Very inspiring .
Thank you! One of the great things about this site is how other members are so supportive of others and can inspire each other! For that I am grateful, and appreciate your support!

So I was rolling around on my creeper while installing my rocker trim and wheel opening moldings and couldn't help snapping a pic or 3... Thought it was cool with the disc brakes in view. It also reminded me I was going to paint the front rotor centers to match the back...

Trying to do everything but wiring... but I think I'm going to start to tackle that project this weekend!

Speaking of wiring... I just found out that my stock battery gauge will not work with the AAW classic update kit that I have I have a few feelers out to see if I can get it converted to a voltmeter. I really want to use my stock SS cluster, so I'm going to try to stay optimistic. If it doesn't work out though, I have my eyes on the gauges from classic instruments.

Old 14th-September-2012, 12:35 PM   #199
Wogs64SS

Speaking of inspiration, your car really inspires me to start on redoing my own I have quarter skins and all the SS trim and rocker trim to go on. Keep the pics and updates coming.

NNN#9160
Old 14th-September-2012, 01:26 PM   #200
64SSOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogs64SS View Post
Speaking of inspiration, your car really inspires me to start on redoing my own I have quarter skins and all the SS trim and rocker trim to go on. Keep the pics and updates coming.
Excellent! I think the trim is what really makes these old cars special. They just don't make cars like this anymore. I have a friend with a new Camaro SS. Awesome car, and fast, but the only badging I could see was a tiny SS badge on the decklid. What a downer!

I saw the video of your car running, man that sounds good! The quarters aren't too bad if you know what to watch for. Pay particular attention to the part where the quarter window comes through and where the C pillar connects to the new quarter. The factory peak moldings fit the new quarters really well too. I think my quarter install thread is link in here somewhere, but let me know if you have any questions!

Gary
Old 14th-September-2012, 02:23 PM   #201
Shoeboxnut

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Acadian Beaumont
Paint and trim look great. keep up the good work
Old 15th-September-2012, 01:00 PM   #202
rusty63ss

Nova(s): '63 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SSOwner View Post
Excellent! I think the trim is what really makes these old cars special. They just don't make cars like this anymore. I have a friend with a new Camaro SS. Awesome car, and fast, but the only badging I could see was a tiny SS badge on the decklid. What a downer!
x2 on the trim! It looks great!!

When I got my car I did not know it was a SS and I was going to fill all the holes. Not anymore!

Beautiful work!
Old 15th-September-2012, 01:26 PM   #203
Wogs64SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SSOwner View Post

I saw the video of your car running, man that sounds good! The quarters aren't too bad if you know what to watch for. Pay particular attention to the part where the quarter window comes through and where the C pillar connects to the new quarter. The factory peak moldings fit the new quarters really well too. I think my quarter install thread is link in here somewhere, but let me know if you have any questions!

Gary
Thanks Gary I've copied lots of your pics of this build as reference an will PM you if needed

NNN#9160
Old 17th-September-2012, 03:18 PM   #204
64SSOwner

Thanks for all the compliments on the trim! I have to say, it's probably the biggest investment I have in the car next to the paint work. It's probably also given me the most headaches... Looks like I made the right decision to put it all back on.

I started to mess around under the dash to try and figure out in what order things need to go back in there. It looks like the steering column is the first order of buisiness followed by the firewall pad, then evaporator. I'm in the process of working on that, and will post up some pics as soon as I get some noteworthy progress. I'm quickly finding out that I'm still missing some parts that I didn't think about until now, too. The plate to secure the bottom of the steering column to the firewall in this case...

I also got my engine bay and firewall all cleaned up, so here are a couple shots.

Enjoy!

Old 21st-November-2012, 12:31 PM   #205
64SSOwner

It's been a while since my last post! Man time flies...

The Nova has been coming together very slowly, but I was out there last night and got a couple pics with an actual camera instead of my phone!

I got some of the glass installed along with the drip rail moldings and roof rail pieces that hold in the roof rail weatherstrip. I used Mortite under the roof rail trim. The drip rail moldings are a couple GM pieces. They fit very tightly! I was so scared I was going to ruin them putting them on that I ended up sanding the paint off the drip rails to buy a little more room. I stopped at the primer though because I was worried about corrosion.

The glass was a real PITA to install. The Re-Pops brand outside window scrapers do not fit like the originals. Once installed, the rubber is pretty tight against the window. Enough that it will pull the scraper strip right out of the reveal molding. This is because the little tabs that hold it into the molding do not fit nearly as we'll as the originals. To fix the problem, I drilled 1/8" holes through the scraper and molding, then installed 1/8" rivets. The rivets are the kind that sit close to flush on the back of the molding once installed. I didn't get pictures this time, but I have to pull apart my driver's door to fix it, so I will snap some pictures then.

The Re-Pops quarter window molding also does not fit the best. The plastic anti-rattle strips are too fat to fit between the window and glass. I haven't gotten it installed yet, but I think there are a couple ways to fix it. You could either grind down the strip to fit, or remove it and use the original, if its in good shape. I think my originals are decent so I may go that route. I will also use the rivet trick on these too.

In between all the glass troubles, I have been working on the wiring. I decided that I needed to get my firewall pad installed before getting the a/c evaporator hung, which needs to go in to get wired. When I smoothed my firewall, I welded carriage bolts on the inside of the car where the holes for the firewall pad plastic fasteners went. They worked awesome! I just use a washer, and the pad gets held. I also discovered that this was nice when removing the pad a hundred times. I think I would have ruined the plastic rivets removing them so many times. I also got my Ididit column painted and installed using a new install plate from them. I powder coated my pedals!

Here are some pics of the wiring mess and the dash/dash pad.

Couple pics of the original style air cleaner I modified to fit over on an Edelbrock carb.

Couple pics of the paint/car.

New hood wind split.

I'm hoping to finish up the glass and scraper issues over the holiday weekend. Stay tuned for more pics!

Last edited by 64SSOwner; 21st-November-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 21st-November-2012, 04:56 PM   #206
603 chevy II

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 63 HT
Looks great, keep us posted.
Old 22nd-November-2012, 12:47 PM   #207
cufrcp

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972 & 1963
Your car looks great! I like looking at a black car, just not maintaining it.
I love the mostly stock looking engine. I did the same thing on my '72.
Old 22nd-November-2012, 01:36 PM   #208
TMack63nova

Nova(s): 1963 Chevy II / Nova Conv
The project is coming along very well!! Nice Work!!

Old 23rd-November-2012, 01:32 AM   #209
rebob

Nova(s): 63 no post
The car is really lookin great , very clean !!!
Old 23rd-November-2012, 08:47 AM   #210
letrbuk67

Nova(s): 67 nova sedan
your car is looking great .you are doing a very nice job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement