It's been a while since my last post! Man time flies...
The Nova has been coming together very slowly, but I was out there last night and got a couple pics with an actual camera instead of my phone!
I got some of the glass installed along with the drip rail moldings and roof rail pieces that hold in the roof rail weatherstrip. I used Mortite under the roof rail trim. The drip rail moldings are a couple GM pieces. They fit very tightly! I was so scared I was going to ruin them putting them on that I ended up sanding the paint off the drip rails to buy a little more room. I stopped at the primer though because I was worried about corrosion.
The glass was a real PITA to install. The Re-Pops brand outside window scrapers do not fit like the originals. Once installed, the rubber is pretty tight against the window. Enough that it will pull the scraper strip right out of the reveal molding. This is because the little tabs that hold it into the molding do not fit nearly as we'll as the originals. To fix the problem, I drilled 1/8" holes through the scraper and molding, then installed 1/8" rivets. The rivets are the kind that sit close to flush on the back of the molding once installed. I didn't get pictures this time, but I have to pull apart my driver's door to fix it, so I will snap some pictures then.
The Re-Pops quarter window molding also does not fit the best. The plastic anti-rattle strips are too fat to fit between the window and glass. I haven't gotten it installed yet, but I think there are a couple ways to fix it. You could either grind down the strip to fit, or remove it and use the original, if its in good shape. I think my originals are decent so I may go that route. I will also use the rivet trick on these too.
In between all the glass troubles, I have been working on the wiring. I decided that I needed to get my firewall pad installed before getting the a/c evaporator hung, which needs to go in to get wired. When I smoothed my firewall, I welded carriage bolts on the inside of the car where the holes for the firewall pad plastic fasteners went. They worked awesome! I just use a washer, and the pad gets held. I also discovered that this was nice when removing the pad a hundred times. I think I would have ruined the plastic rivets removing them so many times. I also got my Ididit column painted and installed using a new install plate from them. I powder coated my pedals!
Here are some pics of the wiring mess and the dash/dash pad.
Couple pics of the original style air cleaner I modified to fit over on an Edelbrock carb.
Couple pics of the paint/car.
New hood wind split.
I'm hoping to finish up the glass and scraper issues over the holiday weekend. Stay tuned for more pics!