DrKrazy's 64' 4-Door Family Street Rod build - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st-October-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
DrKrazy

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II 4DR
Since I haven't had much time to get any actual work done in the last few weeks I've been knocking stuff off the "To order list"....and some of the Pile O' Parts started arriving this week. Going to make some time this weekend to get something worked on! Pictured: ACC Carpet/Sound deadener kit (Original Aqua color, called and chatted with a very nice person there and got it ordered), large dynamat kit for the car, new arm rest bases (mine were cracked and wasted), firewall padding set, spare tire hold down, new brake pedal rubber, washer pump, door lock knobs, idler arm (bearing kit on it's way), rear air shocks (front shocks still on the way), fender cover so I don't put another scratch in car working on the engine (already put 1 or 2 ), 3x rear seat belts for the kiddos!
Still have lots more on the way, including my missing piece of trim to finish off the body (Thanks chevyIIinreno!).

Sucks to be surrounded by parts, still have tons in my shed for the car too and not enough time to get anything on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th-October-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
DrKrazy

Well I drove the car this last weekend more than worked on it , but did do a few things barely worth mentioning. I finally bolted down the original spare tire in the trunk so it wouldn't make so much noise, put new door lock knobs on, a new brake pedal, swapped on a chrome breather, windshield washer pump, added a coolant overflow so it wouldn't spit everywhere, swapped on a new idler arm (putting the bearing kit on my original "straight" arm and will put that back on), and picked at the insulation/cardboard stuff I have to get off my roof. That kinda stopped me right there so I could search on the site to get some ideas...turns out it probably won't be fun. So that just waits for when I take the seats back out to do the sound deadening/carpet/etc that's waiting.
Got a decent quote for getting a professional to put the headliner in once I'm ready for it too. He looked at the car and the headliner I have and said it would be a breeze. I've seen his work on the cars my brother owns/has built for other people so I know he is good. Got my final piece of trim in the mail today too so really happy about that!

Pics for the masses;

Old 27th-October-2012, 02:22 AM   #18
jsmart

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1967 Nova SS
Welcome to the site. Sounds like the whole family is enjoying the lil Nova. Have fun in it !!!
Old 4th-November-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
DrKrazy

Today was a nice day, wife and kids were off doing other things. So a good time to actually make some real progress on the interior. First up on my list, getting rid of the original roof insulation/cardboard stuff in preparation for the sound insulation, carpet, etc. From what I read I knew this wasn't going to be fun. Turned out not so bad actually, lots of work but not horrible on my car.
Yanked the seats out and grabbed a paint scrapper, and lucky with a good angle and sharp blade I was able to take big chunks out fairly easily. It went through the glue and carboard stuff fairly easily.

About 45 minutes worth of scrapping away with some tunes jamming, the roof looked like this;

And the floorpan looked like this;

Took to sanding/grinding the remaining junk, glue, and bits of surface rust here and there; One side cleaned up..

Both sides all cleaned up, worst part was getting it out from under the brace.

I then cleaned the car again and proceed to literally incase the interior roof in a big plastic bag per say. I took a bunch of painters plastic and taped off the roof and entire interior with the only opening being the rear door. This actually caught the attention of one my neighbors (though I'm guessing he was listening to me sand for hours!) and he came to investigate and was impressed at the length I was going.

Inside:

Couple coats of some black satin, not that anyone will see it once it's covered in dynamat and a headliner

Was getting dark by the time I was taking the plastic and tape off but looks good for now...and that 50 year old insulation is gone, there is no bare metal, and will be ready to move on to the dynamat, headliner, carpet, etc in the interior!

Old 4th-November-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
chevy2much

Nova(s): 63 SS 65 SS & 70 SS
Looks great!
Old 4th-November-2012, 11:04 PM   #21
rusty63ss

Nova(s): '63 SS
Nice work. Keep the updates coming.
Old 6th-November-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
GreasyDD63

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 ChevyII 4dr 100
Wow that's one sweet MoorDoor!I wish I found mine in such rad condition. Good luck with your build man, your off to a great start! Gotta love 4doors! Especially 1st gens!
Old 16th-November-2012, 06:50 PM   #23
DrKrazy

Well it's been cold/snowy and I've been sick the last week (damn head cold!) so not much has gotten done. I went to start on cleaning the floorboards so I could start laying down the dynamat, insulation, and carpet...well I got a bit side tracked. I was scrapping up the remaining bits of glue/old carpet crap when I noticed a little tiny bit of surface rust poking out from under the seam sealant near the passenger toe board seam. Started poking at it and scrapping up the seam sealant in the area, and sure enough RUST! ...Yea you guys are all going to laugh but seriously this is the most rust I've found anywhere on the car so far. One thing lead to another and I couldn't help but to then scrap up all the seam sealer around the floorboards. The most rust I found is actually back by the rear wheel wells on the seams. Nothing big or bad, just some surface rust that I have to clean up. So again...delayed my interior progress. Ordered some seam sealer in, and it arrived today. Not going to curse myself by making any predictions on when I will actually lay my first piece of dynamat down anymore.

Seam sealer scrapping:

Look some surface rust, yea said you guys would laugh at me. What can I say I want this car as good as I can get it and was always taught to do it right the first time if possible!

Seam sealer kit I ordered, need some for other places on the car too...later work.

Need to finish cleaning the old seam sealer up, prep, then put down new seam sealer/paint as needed. *Supposed* to be on a vacation next week but in my line work that is always up for grabs.
Old 16th-November-2012, 10:22 PM   #24
GreasyDD63

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 ChevyII 4dr 100
Hey bro I feel you on getting side tracked, it happens to me a lot!! LOL but good to know no Cancer was found. I need some seam sealer as well.
Keep it up man
Old 20th-November-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
DrKrazy

It's been absolutely gorgeous here in Colorado considering it's November. I've been taking advantage of the nice weather and the few days I have off this week to tackle the interior of the car some more. It's so nice I want to be driving it not working on it! I've been a busy busy man, and my entire body hurts along with my hands being all cut up and sore...so means I made some good progress right? Well here is the fast forwarded version, in the last few days I've;
Cleaned all the seam sealer up, grinded/cleaned up all surface rust on the floor pan/seams, put down all new seam sealer on the floor pan, scrubbed the floor pan a few times, quick tape off of the car and very quick coat of paint on the floor pan, lined up and drilled holes for the rear seat belts, laid down dynamat over the entire floorpan/wheel wells/etc (a bit on the roof to but I ran out, have to order more), installed "original" type sound deadening mats, and mostly installed the carpet! Oh and during down times while waiting for things to dry I also took out the old rear shocks (POS midas shocks that were blown) and installed some monroe air shocks for now.

Think that was about it, but mostly hard man hours that I'm glad to have over with. Really happy to adjust the rake appearance and ride a bit on the back for now...rear suspension is way down the line for me. Will also help me with my choice of wheels and seeing where I want the car to sit and what I want it to look like in the end. Wheels are really throwing me for a loop and I can't make up my mind Still have to trim off the carpet and finish really getting it in but it looks exactly like I had in mind so I'm happy.
Pics for the masses (LOTS!..could've been more)

New seam sealer:

Cleaned up and fresh coat of paint:

This made my arms hurt, dynamat installed on entire floorpan/etc:

Bit on the roof too, ran out through so just ordered more;

"Original" sound deadening that came with my carpet..wth I put it in:

Carpet finally mostly installed! Woot

And rear air shocks install, cleaned/painted the hats, threw the midas stuff in the trash!

Air shocks at the "stock" level or where it sat with the blown midas shocks or about 12-18psi on the air shocks (Yes old sagging single leaf springs too):

Where I decided I like the rake for now, which is about 38-42psi and about and 1 3/4" higher in the back:

Just a slight rake for now, may change when I decide on wheels. Ok enough blabbing and pics for now I need a break!

Happy Thanksgiving all
Old 20th-November-2012, 07:14 PM   #26
jrdeleon0430

Nova(s): 1965 Chevy II four door
Thumbs up

From one Moredoor owner to another, excellent work! You're build thread is giving me motivation to start work on my 65. Thanks for sharing your progress. It helps to visualize what I have to look forward to.

1965 Chevy II Four Door

1969 Pontiac Custom S
Old 21st-November-2012, 09:08 AM   #27
DrKrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyDD63 View Post
Hey bro I feel you on getting side tracked, it happens to me a lot!! LOL but good to know no Cancer was found. I need some seam sealer as well.
Keep it up man
Oh yeah side tracks happen all over the place as you stated GreasyDD63! But as long as we are making progress on our rides I guess that is all that matters. Better to fix the problems we see then ignore them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdeleon0430 View Post
From one Moredoor owner to another, excellent work! You're build thread is giving me motivation to start work on my 65. Thanks for sharing your progress. It helps to visualize what I have to look forward to.
Thanks a ton, means a lot to me to hear those types of comments . Means even more coming from other Nova lovers! Makes all the hard work that much more worth while. Not to mention it seems it takes special hearts like ours to love the moredoors as much as they deserve!
Old 21st-November-2012, 09:16 AM   #28
craigs73

Nova(s): soon to be pro-touring 73
the car looks nice....

73 Pro-tour build
Old 21st-November-2012, 06:33 PM   #29
DrKrazy

Thanks craigs73!

Well wanted to drive it bad today with it being 70 degrees outside. So my little helper, my son, helped me finish trimming off the carpet, making the bolt holes, installing the rear seat belts, putting the seats back and trim back in, and basically finishing the carpet job. I think it looks great , and can officially put the entire family in the car with seat belts for the first time!! That's huge for us! . Still lots more to do in the interior but this really helped.

We finished in the early afternoon, so my son and I fired up that V8 and took a 45min tour around the Golden/Lakewood area. I can't even describe how much quieter the car was...just WOW! When I finish the roof and doors it will be even quieter. It also rode a ton better in the back, I gotta put the new front shocks on now too.

Rear seat belts all installed:

Finished carpet and seats back in pics:

My son giving his approval of a job well done and a good looking interior.

Again happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last edited by DrKrazy; 21st-November-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 25th-November-2012, 07:19 PM   #30
DrKrazy

Dropped by my brothers place today and picked up a few of his 15" rally wheels to try out on my car. Still way up in the air about what I want to do for wheels, but anything is better than the original 13" wheels with 20-30 year old tires on them. So I grabbed them, cleaned them up, and prepped/repainted them real quick as they were a bit beat up from sitting in his garage for a few years now. They have near new but few year old 205/70 tires on them so was a good size to put/try out on the back. I think they look pretty good, I'm iffy on the vette/camaro caps that stick out. Still iffy on the whole look also but glad he had them for me to try out.

For those watching what do you guys think? I can have my brother order me some at his cost through his shop no problem for the front.
(sorry for picture quality, was getting dark)

Some of my brother's classics, his 55' Wagon was in his garage at the time, and his 63' Nova wagon is at my bro-in-law's body shop (which is what these wheels came off of).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement