Ideas for new carb? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th-November-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
denniswhurley

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1977 Oldsmobile Omega/Nov
Ideas for new carb?

Hey guys... Im having all kinds of trouble with my Quadrajet carb... someone decided it was a great idea to wire the choke open, plug off most of the vacuum lines and generally mis adjust everything from the idle to the kickdown cable...sooooo my plan is to replace the carb... looking for suggestions... rt now it is a bone stock 305. Will be adding this week Hooker headers and eventually putting a 350 in it. so ... do we just replace carb? carb and intake? thoughts and ideas?? Any other info you guys need? It is my DD but considering gas here is .... 0.78 a gallon.. mileage isnt really a concern... oh yeah i said 0.78 cents a gallon for 98 octane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th-November-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
hbanger

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Chevy II 100 wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswhurley View Post
Hey guys... Im having all kinds of trouble with my Quadrajet carb... someone decided it was a great idea to wire the choke open, plug off most of the vacuum lines and generally mis adjust everything from the idle to the kickdown cable...sooooo my plan is to replace the carb... looking for suggestions... rt now it is a bone stock 305. Will be adding this week Hooker headers and eventually putting a 350 in it. so ... do we just replace carb? carb and intake? thoughts and ideas?? Any other info you guys need? It is my DD but considering gas here is .... 0.78 a gallon.. mileage isnt really a concern... oh yeah i said 0.78 cents a gallon for 98 octane.
Put a 600 vacuum secondary Holley on an adapter plate now. Wait for 350 to get manifold and you can use carb there also
Old 20th-November-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
PCPete

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): '72 Nova 383/TH350
Wait....What?

Seventy eight cents a gallon? Omega? I'm taking a wild guess here that you and the car are not in Arkansas. That would make getting it made right a real challenge.

A direct replacement carb is available and would be the easiest fix if getting parts is a challenge. If you change the carb type, hoses and linkage can be a challenge with a NAPA next door. Have you found drawings for the correct routing of the vacuum hoses if you are going to replace them?

Keep us up to date with what you do and remember, pictures help.
Old 20th-November-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
onecarnut

Nova(s): 1968 Chevy II
The 1406 carb from Edelbrock comes set up for economy.

A holley may produce more power, but the Edelbrock is very easy to maintain.

Gone but not forgotten
Old 20th-November-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
chris63

Nova(s): 1963 400 350/350 12 bolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by onecarnut View Post
The 1406 carb from Edelbrock comes set up for economy.

A holley may produce more power, but the Edelbrock is very easy to maintain.
x2^ on what onecarnut said.
Old 20th-November-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
base1969

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1969 base model. 4cyl, 3
i get the bad adjustment and choke fails...but i don't get the plugging the vac ports. aren't those supposed to be plugged if not in use?
Old 20th-November-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
jimys72

Nova(s): 72 Nova, 78 Elcamino
if u make sure the carb is clean inside. and get the vacume lines all hooked up. you should be able to adjust the choke correctly. check float hieght. their stubborn carbs sometimes, but until you get them happy you wont be.
Old 21st-November-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
xten57

Nova(s): 69 2dr sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswhurley View Post
Check out Sean Murphy Induction at http://www.smicarburetor.com/, he built my Q-Jet and I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 21st-November-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
denniswhurley

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1977 Oldsmobile Omega/Nov
Hey thanks for all the input... and no not in Arkansas right now... I am in Kuwait STILL waiting on tools from Sears...LOL i think Sandy held things up some... but wow 2 months... and I am liking that Edelbrock carb... seems simple enough too... DWH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement