Complete restoration/modernization of a 69 Nova - Page 15 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th-November-2012, 03:54 PM   #211
Vikesman101

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 69 Nova
Well I got a nice surprise on Saturday, my friend Randy who has been working on the back seats came through for me and I went and picked them up. The look really cool and fit snug but not tight. Maybe a bit of tweaking on the overall height but otherwise a really good fit.

I even get the center drop down arm rest with cup holders, and a access to the trunk panel.

My son Alex helped me put the seats in and get some of the wiring sorted. The temps fell off for a couple days so I will get back to it tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th-November-2012, 10:13 AM   #212
Vikesman101

Well since no one left any comments I guess everyone is hating the seats lol. This weekend brought good weather and a bit of Nova time, I wanted to finish the cover plate for the firewall and steering column. Remember this is a custom cover as I will be passing a large part of the wiring harness through it going to the computer and dash items. Not having an original for a template I used paper to get the shape and transferred that to cardboard for mock up. After figuring out where to place the hole for the column I then did some trial and error pieces to get the angle correct. To be honest I was off on my first attempt and went for the redo. The second one turned out pretty good, fitting much better then the first. It look pretty stock except for the notch to pass the wiring harness through. Here I decided on using the existing hole in the firewall as one half of the hole I needed and i notched the cover for the other half. Added some close cell foam for a gasket, and here is how it turned out.

And in place, sorry for the blurry pic.

Now I need to figure out what size screws hold it in place, I don't seem to have the correct ones on hand.
Old 19th-November-2012, 10:40 AM   #213
sbc1320

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1972 Nova -383
Not bad at all, nice piece.
Old 19th-November-2012, 11:24 AM   #214
fencepost

Nova(s): 1972 SS clone
Nature of the beast, I don't get much response either. Looked back at your thread and I think they use that same front seat in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. They do set good. I like the rear seat, the cup holder will work out great. Car should be good for long trps if you ever choose to do so. I do worry about the dash top being shinny. I 1st painted my hat rack area glossy body color and then went back flat black because of the glare. Reflected big time on the window, couldn't see nothing through the rear view mirror.

PS coodoes on the column plate looks nice and that is a good place to run the harness.
Old 19th-November-2012, 04:36 PM   #215
drnova69

I think your seats look good and I understand about the no comments I posted updates on my 69 and only got one comment and I spent all that time uploading the pics when I could have been working on my nova lol
Old 19th-November-2012, 04:58 PM   #216
Vikesman101

Thanks guys for the feedback, I guess to be honest I may be a bit guilty of not commenting on some of your threads I have read as well. I will make an effort to leave feedback whenever I can. I really like hearing what people have to say even if it is not always what I would like to hear, it is good to have something to think about, or another point of view.
Old 28th-November-2012, 10:54 AM   #217
Vikesman101

Over the weekend I got a few small items done and some planning on a couple more. First, with the battery relocated to the trunk I needed a long cable to reach the starter. With that in mind I headed out to my home away from home, U-Pull our parts yard. I found a 2000 Buick LeSaber with the battery under the rear seat and I grabbed the positive cable. It is around 11 feet long and after installing it into the Nova it is a near perfect fit. So i located and drilled a hole to pass the cable through the firewall near to the starter. It will run in the same place as the wiring harness going to the relay box will go, as will the negative cable. So, I made a "bar" to hold all three neatly with a couple zip ties. Turned out like this.

With that done I also fabricated a mount for the relay box on the passenger inner fender. Nothing tricky here just made sure the positive connection post was located towards the engine bay for easy access should one need to jump start the car and cant get to the trunk.

Old 28th-November-2012, 10:59 AM   #218
Tarantula

Nova(s): 1974 "454" Nova Custom
Yep, just like what I did. How are you going to attach the battery cable so its not hanging like that.
I went the stock route and attached the cable to the block so its away from the headers. Now that I'm driiving my nova, I can say it worked out great.

With cmments not showing up, I think you have to just get used to it. My build thread is practically me just posting to myself and its over 40 pages long. Even now that I finished the exterior and the car is "Reborn" I still dont get comments. I get more comments on Youtube. Maybe you should start a youtube update series.

Last edited by Tarantula; 28th-November-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 28th-November-2012, 01:57 PM   #219
Vikesman101

Steve

The bar I made in the photo will be what I will attach the 2 battery cables and the single wiring harness to with a couple zip ties. I will mock it up and take a picture. I am just trying to get a clean look to the car. I do read your thread and I got a few ideas off you, thanks for that. Your car looks great I like the sound of the exhaust on your new video. I even went to Pypes website but they seem not to have a listing for a 69 Nova exhaust system. Right now I am looking for headers that wont interfere with the power steering box, not sure who makes that. I at least need headers in order to fire it up and make sure the engine and wiring are all good. Then I can button up that part of the project.

Tom
Old 28th-November-2012, 10:35 PM   #220
Tarantula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikesman101 View Post
Steve

The bar I made in the photo will be what I will attach the 2 battery cables and the single wiring harness to with a couple zip ties. I will mock it up and take a picture. I am just trying to get a clean look to the car. I do read your thread and I got a few ideas off you, thanks for that. Your car looks great I like the sound of the exhaust on your new video. I even went to Pypes website but they seem not to have a listing for a 69 Nova exhaust system. Right now I am looking for headers that wont interfere with the power steering box, not sure who makes that. I at least need headers in order to fire it up and make sure the engine and wiring are all good. Then I can button up that part of the project.

Tom
I didn't even see that bar. Thanks for the answer.

And you looked at my thread, seen my videos, yet I did not see a post from you. There you go, thats what alot of people do in our build threads and thats why the build threads at times goes without other peoples posts. It does not mean its not viewed and you just proved that with telling me that you saw my ideas/videos.

The Exhaust system I bought is for the F and X body cars from 1970-1981. It did not state specifically 74 Chevy Nova. That explains why the tail pipe originally extended to the rear of the car. (Which is why I chose this setup)

For the most part, the exhaust system from Pypes, that I bought, is pretty much universal for those two style bodies as its cut to fit in two areas. First area is where the setup connects to the headers and the second area of cut to fit is where the mufflers connect before the rear section. So you can basically buy the same kit for your 69. The muffler choice does not affect the kit. You can choose between 3 mufflers Street, Race and Violator.

And I'm glad I could help out whenever possible.

Last edited by Tarantula; 28th-November-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 28th-November-2012, 11:23 PM   #221
thegrappler

Nova(s): 72 Nova 454 Th400 Skyroof
Hey Tom, your car is coming along nicely, seats look way more comfy than the originals. I think we are going to have a heat wave this weekend, high 40s to low 50s. I havent touched my car since June (house projects) reading your build inspires me, Im gonna get out there this weekend. I may even start a build thread
Old 29th-November-2012, 01:25 AM   #222
jimys72

Nova(s): 72 Nova, 78 Elcamino
Looks like your doing a really good job at thinking things through on your build. a lot of original ideas. the car is really taking shape. the seats look really comphy.
Old 29th-November-2012, 01:14 PM   #223
Vikesman101

Steve

This is the basic idea, of course I will have the wiring harness taped and loomed for a nice clean look. I also spent some time in front of my blast cabinet cleaning up some parts to prep for paint. Mostly the hood hinges, bumper brackets, headlight buckets ect...

Old 29th-November-2012, 02:46 PM   #224
Tarantula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikesman101 View Post
I also spent some time in front of my blast cabinet cleaning up some parts to prep for paint. Mostly the hood hinges, bumper brackets, headlight buckets ect...
When I did my Hood Hinges, I dropped them in a bath of Phosphoric acid and after 2 or so days it was down to bare metal and prepped for paint as I added in some Zinc Phosphate. (Video Updates 49 and 50)

With sand blasting the hinges, arent you worried about getting tiny particles of sand between the hinge pivot dowels? I woulld think that if sand particles was to get in there, over time it will create wear.

By dipping the hinges in Phosphoric acid, they will get fully cleaned including in between the pivot points, where rust and grime tends to accumilate making the hinges a little stiff.
Old 29th-November-2012, 11:45 PM   #225
thegrappler

Nova(s): 72 Nova 454 Th400 Skyroof
I sandblasted my hood hinges, afterward you just work them back and forth a few times and all the sand works its way out, then spray with brake clean and blow out with an air hose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement