got my 350 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 4th Generation Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th-November-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
stephensnova

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1977 chevy nova- Given to
got my 350

So, i finally got a 350 i can build this winter but i have a question.
first off its the block is a 397010 and its got a set of 333882 heads.
from my research i have found that the 882 heads are pretty much junk.
i was wondering what heads would be best for a street application.
My dad has been talking about running a set of 400 heads since he ran them on his 71 camaro in high school. he says they were a lot of fun and made a huge difference in power

im on a tight budget so i was hoping a set of junkyard heads might work and give them a rebuild, what do you all suggest ?

Im not too knowledgeable about engines and what not so this will be my first build with my father any information or suggestions would be great.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th-November-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
batman09

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1967 Ht & 1962 wagon
if your on a budget vortecs are the best.....best overall IMO are afr's....I have afr elimnators on my 67 and they really go!!

1967 Nova-----Ls3/4L70e
Old 17th-November-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
sbc1320

Nova(s): 1972 Nova -383
^^^ Yes, yes, and yes on what he said.
Old 17th-November-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
77-427-5sp

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1977 nova bb 427 5sp tko
no diff between 882s and 400 heads they are the same they just have extra holes drilled for steam

882 work great when stoking a engine to 383 they help keep the compression ratio street-able

if keeping the stock bottom end then go for the vortecs

and of course the afr are allways a good choice
Old 17th-November-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
stephensnova

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1977 chevy nova- Given to
Thanks for the replies! I have been thing about the 383. But I have no clue what is involved with that. Like I said I'm pretty new to this. Plus if I could keep the 882's that would save me some money

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 17th-November-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
SmoKum

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): `71 Nova-RIP, `66 Canso S
The only reason I believe there would be something to gain by using heads off a 400sbc is that the exhaust valves were bigger(on the earlier ones IIRC), 1.6 Vs 1.5 for other smogger heads.
If when rebuilding your engine you deem it neccessary to replace the crank, a stroker 3.75" (383) crank kit is usually no more expensive then a standard stroke (3.48") 350 crank. However other cost factors will be involved,... clearancing etc.
Other than the 76cc chambers of your 882's keeping the compression in check with certain pistons, they are not suited to a HI-PERFORMANCE type of build.
Old 17th-November-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
kimrobertson

Nova(s): 79 Phoenix
I have a 350 and I went with heads from J&C Cylinder Head Exchange in Fairmount, WVA. I went with a 76cc combustion chamber head very similar to the ones in the link below---2.02/1.60 valves. All new parts and machining + pocket ported for $400/pr. I was impressed with the work they did on these heads. Saw their shop...They do nothing but heads. My engine is 9:1 compression. I could run 87 octane but run 89. The heads work really well and the engine runs really well and very streetable. I got a lot for my money. Good people to work with. Good reviews on the internet.. Highly recommend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE-...item53efab414e
Old 17th-November-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Philip

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1977
AFR 195 ST on my small block, love them
Old 17th-November-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
kimrobertson

Nova(s): 79 Phoenix
I also have the same block you have. It's a 4 bolt main block. When I was researching heads the 882's were noted as prone to cracking, so even though I could have gotten a reworked performance set I avoided them. I also sold the 624 heads that were originally on my engine even though they already had the big valves and even factory guide plates and screw-in studs because they too were prone to cracking. So, if you're looking at reworked GM castings it's a good idea to research the casting #'s to make sure they aren't noted for cracking problems.
Old 17th-November-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
mud.man.rj

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1967 Acadian coupe
heads

If you have a flat top piston the 76cc chambers aren't to bad for compression ratio of around 9:1 but if dished pistons then compression is really down in the 8:1 plus not enough to support any kind of performance cam upgrade. So as mentioned the Vortecs are a great choice but require a dedicated intake to match. I usually switch most engines up to Edelbrock alum RPM heads and can pick between two different chamber sizes to correct compression ratio desired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement