Spring Compressor? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th-June-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
floaterboy

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 64 2DR Sedan
Spring Compressor?

I need to remove the front coil springs on my '64. My question is which type of spring compressor works the best? The 2 piece type that clamps on the outside of the spring or the one piece style that goes through the inside center of the spring. Where is the best place to find a quality tool to do the job?
Thanks,
Len
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th-June-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
jer66nova

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): '75 nova best1/4 mile 13.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floaterboy View Post
I need to remove the front coil springs on my '64. My question is which type of spring compressor works the best? The 2 piece type that clamps on the outside of the spring or the one piece style that goes through the inside center of the spring. Where is the best place to find a quality tool to do the job?
Thanks,
Len
you can remove the springs with out compressor putting them back is abit of a challenge. raise car and support on stands after removing wheels and tie rods from spindles and remove shocks. take lower balljoint nut and loosen it do not remove at this time loosen up lower comtrol arm bushing mount bolt. support lower contrlo arm with floor jack and remove and seperate balljoint lower jack until all pressure is off the spring. use a large pry bar and you can pop them out, of course be careful but you can get them out
Old 14th-June-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
Nova SS 67

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 67 Nova SS Mod Hot Rod
autozone is free.
Old 14th-June-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
nova66mussl

Nova(s): 66 H/T 66 Wagon 1933 Fo
You have to remove the shock & use an inside type coil spring compressor. The above mentioned works on 68 & later cars. I changed the springs on my 66 wagon yesterday, took 1.5 hrs. The key is having the right tool for the job.
Old 14th-June-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
tony

Nova(s): '63SS'64SS'654D'76HD'89HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova SS 67 View Post
autozone is free.
^^^ Good suggestion.......

Just look the tool over good before you take it home. Sometimes people return tools damaged or missing components & they don't get checked before being put back on the loaner shelf......

Here's the best I've seen for the job.......

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000132A
Old 14th-June-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Stuntman Mike

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): '69 Nova
Autozone is worthless for this application. They gave me those MacPherson strut spring compressors. They said that was all they had. They were completely useless. Getting my springs in required me doing things the dangerous way: A pry bar and a couple of heavy duty ratchet straps. I wouldn't recommend that way to anyone though. I should've just got the right tool rather than risk injuring myself or worse yet, damaging my car.
Old 14th-June-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
sbc1320

Nova(s): 1972 Nova -383
Most springs can be done without any problems and without a spring compressor. I installed Moroso trick springs and had to use an internal compressor as the spring was so long. Doesn't hurt to hook the spring to a scrap piece of chain and strap it or bolt it to the frame. Those springs coming out can kill or injure a person very easily.
Old 14th-June-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
NovatoriusRex

Nova(s): 67 Chevy II Nova Hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike View Post
Autozone is worthless for this application. They gave me those MacPherson strut spring compressors. They said that was all they had. They were completely useless. Getting my springs in required me doing things the dangerous way: A pry bar and a couple of heavy duty ratchet straps. I wouldn't recommend that way to anyone though. I should've just got the right tool rather than risk injuring myself or worse yet, damaging my car.
I picked up an internal spring compressor on Ebay for about $30. It'll come in handy multiple times, so it's something I recommend having in your Chevy II's garage.

I want a new duck. One that won't steal my beer... - Weird Al
Old 15th-June-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
nukledragger

Nova(s): '68 L78, and others
I've changed several sets of front coils recently and have rented internal spring compressors from O'reilly as well as AutoZone. After having several of these release tension and "pop" as I was walking across the shop with the compressed spring in my hand, I called the MAC Tool man. He brought one by my office for $100. I asked, what's the diff between the $30 compressor and the $100 compressor. He replied, "the $100 one won't kill you". He was right, worked first time, no issues. Best $100 I ever spent.
JMHO
ND
Old 15th-June-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
Bipolar4U

Title: Readers Club
Nova(s): '64 2dr. SEDAN
Harbor Freight has an excellent spring compressor that's reasonably priced.
Old 15th-June-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
Rroxon7

Nova(s): 1964 Wagon 400. 1966 1/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova SS 67 View Post
autozone is free.
I'm using one from Autozone right now... It cost $54 to walk out of the store with it.. You'll get your money back when you take the compressor back.. I used the hook style using it on both sides.. Springs came out without issues
Old 15th-June-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Greg_R_63

Nova(s): 1963 2-dr hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by floaterboy View Post
Thanks,
Len
I have one of these, and I recommend it highly:

Early Nova Spring Compressor
Old 16th-June-2010, 12:02 AM   #13
surfdog

Nova(s): 64wagon, 67wagon (SOLD)
Do not attempt this job without a spring compressor. The Chevy2Only tool is the way to go!

Advertisement