Signals wont work with running light on? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd-April-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Project Nova

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 69.70,71,72 NOVA
Signals wont work with running light on?

My front/ rear, left/right signals work fine until i turn on my running lights. Im pretty sure its a ground at the front side markers. There are 2 wires going to each side marker on my 71, a brown one and a blue one. Which is ground...brown??? I think if i run a tap from the ground to the body,i should fix this problem. Whatch think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th-April-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Project Nova

Anybody? Just need some reassuring that the brown wire is a ground going to each front side marker. Dont want to tap into it if its not.
Old 4th-April-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
tnblkc230wz

Nova(s): 1971 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Nova View Post
My front/ rear, left/right signals work fine until i turn on my running lights. Im pretty sure its a ground at the front side markers. There are 2 wires going to each side marker on my 71, a brown one and a blue one. Which is ground...brown??? I think if i run a tap from the ground to the body,i should fix this problem. Whatch think?
If memory serves me correctly, the brown is the power wire. I had to run my other wire to ground to get them to work correctly. My car had a classic Industries front harness which didn't match the factory wiring schematic.

edit: for the side markers the blue is ground. The brown is the parking lights for all bulbs.

Last edited by tnblkc230wz; 4th-April-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 4th-April-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Project Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnblkc230wz View Post
If memory serves me correctly, the brown is the power wire. I had to run my other wire to ground to get them to work correctly. My car had a classic Industries front harness which didn't match the factory wiring schematic.

edit: for the side markers the blue is ground. The brown is the parking lights for all bulbs.
I ran a tap from the blue wires of both front side markers to a body ground...tested and blew the fuse???? Now im getting frustrated
Old 4th-April-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Pauls72

Nova(s): 72 w/posts 388cid TH200R4
What makes you think it's the side marker lights?
You can pull the 2 side marker lamps on one side and quickly prove your theory. Pull the 2 side marker bulbs and see if that side works right. My guess is that they won't. I suspect maybe a ground to the front parking/turn signal or rear tail lights/brakes or even a harness problem. Since your car is repainted my first guess is the ground wires on these 4 sockets these are not making a good connection to the body.

“Black holes are where God divided by zero.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 4th-April-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
The Big Al

Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
Let me guess. Fiberglass front bumper!

The brown wire is the positive for running lights, the blue positive turn signal power.

The light is base grounded threw the original chrome bumper.

What you have is the running lights back feeding for ground.

Tap a ground wire to the light housing to the frame.

This will fix your problem.

Al

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Last edited by The Big Al; 4th-April-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 4th-April-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Project Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls72 View Post
What makes you think it's the side marker lights?
You can pull the 2 side marker lamps on one side and quickly prove your theory. Pull the 2 side marker bulbs and see if that side works right. My guess is that they won't. I suspect maybe a ground to the front parking/turn signal or rear tail lights/brakes or even a harness problem. Since your car is repainted my first guess is the ground wires on these 4 sockets these are not making a good connection to the body.
I've concluded its in the front side markers cause until I turn on the running lights, everything works... front blinkers, rear blinkers. Both the front and rear signal lights are LED versioins, thay have there own dedicated ground wire that is grounded to the body. When i turn on the running lights, the blinkers dont work, the indicator lights in the dash light up but dont blink, and for some strange reason the front side markers dimmley blink but the front signals and rear signals do nothing. No weird blinking from the rear side markers. Also, I have a fiberglass front bumper. Now i know the original front parking/signal lights were grounded by bolting the housing into the metal bumper. But since the front parking/ signal lights are LED and have there own seperate ground, i dont think the problem is there. Im thinking its a ground at the front side marker, so when i ran a tap from the blue wires going to the side markers to a good ground and blew i fuse, i got confused. Is the blue wire the ground or is it the brown
Old 4th-April-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
tnblkc230wz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Nova View Post
I've concluded its in the front side markers cause until I turn on the running lights, everything works... front blinkers, rear blinkers. Both the front and rear signal lights are LED versioins, thay have there own dedicated ground wire that is grounded to the body. When i turn on the running lights, the blinkers dont work, the indicator lights in the dash light up but dont blink, and for some strange reason the front side markers dimmley blink but the front signals and rear signals do nothing. No weird blinking from the rear side markers. Also, I have a fiberglass front bumper. Now i know the original front parking/signal lights were grounded by bolting the housing into the metal bumper. But since the front parking/ signal lights are LED and have there own seperate ground, i dont think the problem is there. Im thinking its a ground at the front side marker, so when i ran a tap from the blue wires going to the side markers to a good ground and blew i fuse, i got confused. Is the blue wire the ground or is it the brown
Brown wire is the power wire for all parking/running lights. At least according the the 71 wiring diagram.
Old 5th-April-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
Pauls72

Nova(s): 72 w/posts 388cid TH200R4
I don't have a wiring diagram for a '71. But if you look at the wiring diagram for my '72 you will see neither wire to the front side marker is a ground. The front side marker goes out when the turn signal lamp goes on, so it blinks the opposite of the turn signal when your running lights are on.

Note: I would not trust using my '72 wiring diagram for your '71 as there may be differences in colors and pin outs on connectors between the different years.

I still say pull the front side marker bulbs out and see what happens.
Because of the way they are wired, you may have to rewire them to use then with LED's for the front Parking/Turn signal. LED's only use a fraction of the power that normal incandescent bulbs use. The voltage feeding back across through the side marker can be missing you up.

“Black holes are where God divided by zero.” ― Albert Einstein

Last edited by Pauls72; 5th-April-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 5th-April-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
tnblkc230wz

The wiring changed on 72s. The 71 diagram shows a "B" ground going to the core support. I had the same issues in mine with an aftermarket harness. I had to cut the B wire and ground it to the core support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls72 View Post
I don't have a wiring diagram for a '71. But if you look at the wiring diagram for my '72 you will see neither wire to the front side marker is a ground. The front side marker goes out when the turn signal lamp goes on, so it blinks the opposite of the turn signal when your running lights are on.

Note: I would not trust using my '72 wiring diagram for your '71 as there may be differences in colors and pin outs on connectors between the different years.

I still say pull the front side marker bulbs out and see what happens.
Because of the way they are wired, you may have to rewire them to use then with LED's for the front Parking/Turn signal. LED's only use a fraction of the power that normal incandescent bulbs use. The voltage feeding back across through the side marker can be missing you up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement