Radio Wiring Diagram? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 4th Generation Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd-February-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Casis76Nova

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1976 Chevy Nova
Radio Wiring Diagram?

One of the previous owners hacked a hole in the dashboard to put in an aftermarket radio... *sigh* oh well.. I'll replace the dash eventually, but for now, I have an aftermarket radio that fits, HOWEVER... the damn thing won't click on... hook up, yellow to yellow, black to black, red to red... the clock turns on, but resets when I turn the car off. Is there a wiring diagram so I know what's what? I found a website (the12volt.com) but it only goes to '79 and doesn't have Novas... oh well... any help would be great!

thanks!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd-February-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
wera

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1977 Nova 4 door L6 2bbl
Radio's are really easy to install and troubleshoot, yellow is usually battery constant,you need to have a live 12 volt signal from the battery to the radio.
Red is 12v switched when you turn the key it sends 12v to the radio and when the battery and switched signal reaches the radio it knows to turn on,the yellow wire also works for memory *presets,clock*.

It sounds to me like both memory and switched is hooked up to switched*red*,or your not getting constant 12v signal to the radio.
There is also a gray wire that turned the stock radio's lights on when the dash lights come on and is not needed on an aftermarket radio good place to wire some aftermarket gauge lights though.
These cars,or at least mine did not come with a wire for memory/constant 12v and i had to wire that myself you might want to try running a wire from the positive battery terminal or fuse panel to the yellow wire on the radio with an inline fuse.

Does the radio come on at all when you turn the key? Or do you just get clock, if you just get the clock then the memory wire is wired in the switched and there is no switched signal getting to the red wire.
You can although i would not reccomend it hook both memory*yellow* and switched*red* to the switched 12v source witch will give you a working radio but no presets and no clock.

EDIT: oh one more thing, i can't remember but i think the yellow wire on the stock radio harness is actually the switched 12v source, but i could be wrong my memory is a little fuzzy.

Last edited by wera; 23rd-February-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 23rd-February-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
VH5150

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 78 Nova
Yellow was switched 12 volt.

As far as Speaker wires, it seems like one side was yellow and brown and the other side was dark blue and light blue (these are rear speakers).

Edit: - Seems like if you had to run a constant 12 volt source, you had to tie into the fuse block. The grey was dash lights and black was ground.
Old 23rd-February-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Casis76Nova

Here are some pics:

So, I should leave the gray one alone. Do I connect yellow to yellow and red to red (Obviously, black is my ground)? That's what I did and Im only getting the clock. I'll try swapping red & yellow and see what happens.
Old 23rd-February-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
VH5150

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 78 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casis76Nova View Post
Here are some pics:

So, I should leave the gray one alone. Do I connect yellow to yellow and red to red (Obviously, black is my ground)? That's what I did and Im only getting the clock. I'll try swapping red & yellow and see what happens.
The clock is going to be constant 12 volt and you will have to tie into the fuse block. Your red switched power from your stereo will go to yellow in the car. And your ground to the black.
Old 23rd-February-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
wera

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1977 Nova 4 door L6 2bbl
You want to hook the red from the radio to the yellow in the car.
i am not sure what red you have spliced into that but i don't think thats right.

theres an easy way to check, if you hook yellow and red to the cars red and turn the key and the radio comes on thats switched 12v source.
If it comes on without turning the key it's constant, do the same to the yellow on the car.

But im pretty sure yellow is switched and if it is then this is what you need to do.
1.Hook red from the radio to yellow on the radio wiring harness on the car.
2.Hook black to black,doesn't really matter though you can ground the radio to just about anything metal on the car.
3.You will need to tie the yellow on the radio to a constant 12v source either the poistive terminal on the battery or at the fuse box on the car im pretty sure there is a plug on the fuse box labeled "batt" you can tie it in there.

You will want to seal that grey wire if your not going to use it it will ground off of something and create sparks could cause a fire or blow a fuse or two.

Last edited by wera; 23rd-February-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 23rd-February-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
Casis76Nova

thanks. im going to try that! i think the red is the constant(?). will keep you posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement