U joint's stiff - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th-February-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
luepke75

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 63SS,63LR,68
U joint's stiff

I just finished replacing the U joints on my driveline its on my 63 but it came from a 64 and is a beefier one. After hours of soaking, pounding, 2 vices, and 1 broken c clamp Im done. My question is the rear joint seems to be quite stiff the front one has loosened up but the rear requires quite a bit of preasure to move it. Its not installed under the car yet so I just wanted to get your opinions on if this is normal or did I screw somthing up. I can redo it if I have to. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th-February-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
69Proof

Nova(s): 1969 355 2004r 3:73
It's kind of hard to explain... if the rear U joint is tight remove the bearing caps that fit into the differential yoke.
Lay the exposed cross shaft across the top of the open vise jaws and lightly tap the driveshaft above the weld with a brass hammer or a dead blow mallet. After each blow check the U joint when it feels better install it and grease it making sure grease comes out of each bearing cap seal.
Hope this is useful for you... wear safety glasses!

Hopelessly passing your time in the grassland away

Last edited by 69Proof; 12th-February-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12th-February-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
luepke75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Proof View Post
It's kind of hard to explain... if the rear U joint is tight remove the bearing caps that fit into the differential yoke.
Lay the exposed cross shaft across the top of the open vise jaws and lightly tap the driveshaft above the weld with a brass hammer or a dead blow mallet. After each blow check the U joint when it feels better install it and grease it making sure grease comes out of each bearing cap seal.
Hope this is useful for you... wear safety glasses!
Thanks I will give it a try and it does make sense.
Old 12th-February-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
fanbelt

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Nova 2dr hardtop
Made up and installed hundreds of PTO shafts in the trucking industry. This problem is common. How do I describe this? With the u-joint installed, lay the yoke against a vice or anvil with the hole in the yoke flat against surface of the anvil. Using a hammer, rap the yoke opposite the anvil at the flange between the weld and the u-joint hole as if you're trying to close it up. For some reason, it will actually open it against the clips. Make sure your clips are centered where they won't bind against the bottom of the yoke. I hope this is clear. I'm not sure I explained it properly. If not, post again and I'll try to clarify. HTH, Mike
Old 12th-February-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
veno

Nova(s): 72 385, t350, 3.73 4w-dsk
yep what these guys have said....

its in a bind... and tapping on it is the way to fix it
Old 12th-February-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
luepke75

Thanks guys I places it on top of the vice and removed the caps a few taps with dead blow like 69proof said and its good to go. FYI storing a drivline out side of the car as wheel chock in the mud for 30 years not recomended. I spent hours on this thing came very close to buying a new one. Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement