trick flow bbc heads vs other - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Drag Racing Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th-October-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
roddin28

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 63ss Vert LS1,67 Station,
trick flow bbc heads vs other

what do you think about the trick flow heads --- we all compare the afr 345 against the dart pro heads -- but what's about the trick flow??
some data
afr
345cc 119cc 2.30/1.88 - usd 2216.-
dart
310 to 345cc 119cc 2.30/1.88 usd - don't know it exactly
trick flow
360cc 221cc 2.30/1.88 usd 1925.-
---
I'm asking because I'm planing to build a 598 --- WITH the right heads -- what do you think witch one I've to choose???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th-October-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Novapat67

I would take a look a Brodix heads as well. They have some great heads for BBC.
Old 6th-October-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
Seattle_Mike

Title: Moderator
What are you going to use this engine for? Is this strictly race, street/strip, or ???

I will tell you that at the track I don't see Trick Flow heads but see plenty of Dart and Brodix. Also don't strictly go by flow numbers either. You will want a matched engine combination where everything is designed to work together to maximize all the components. Valve train components are extremely important as well as the head design.

We run 14*/18* Big Chiefs but a lot of the fellas run CFE, RFD, Brodix, etc. The other question is this going to be a nitrous engine? If so, there's plenty of things that are different or need to be designed differently for a nitrous engine vs NA vs blower or turbo.
Old 6th-October-2009, 04:52 AM   #4
roddin28

ok -- this is my plan
I got a 65 fairlane station -- hope to get that thing down to 3200lbs - and I'll make a Gasser.
I'll take a 598 with a made th400 ---I'll take 12:1 compression
this one:
http://www.dyno-flo.com/cgi/engines.cgi?motor=m_148
and now head is burning - did I said "I love bench racing"
I'm a big fan from AFR, because I have a pair on my small block powered roadster and run 11.3 et
And while I read a summit catalogue I saw the trick flow witch have bigger runners and cc - so I was wondering why I didn't heard about em
Old 6th-October-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Real McCoy

Title: Moderator
Everyone wants the BEST head available today and that is always changing it seems. I got a couple friends with 5 yr old 555 style conventional head motors and they have AFR heads and run OK. My Brodix heads were better than theirs 3 yrs ago and I went with them. My heads are still OK but Brodix has several newer heads that are supposedly better today. So if you are looking for the best head available today for a max effort motor AFR may not be what you want but for a decent motor they will probably be fine. The thing is they all cost about the same when you buy new so if you want the best head, do your homework and talk to some locals who are using the head you want. What you plan to do and what kind of RPMs you plan to run along with your total combination would determine what is BEST for you. JMO

2010 PRTA 5.30 Index Champion
Old 6th-October-2009, 05:46 AM   #6
roddin28

haha -- I'm talking to my lokals HERE!! - because over here in austria nobody drives those engines! - that's why I ask you guys
Old 6th-October-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
71SS454

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 71 Nova 427 72 Ventura
You probably don't hear alot about the Trick Flow heads because people tend to stick with what they know. Everybody knows about AFR, CFE, Brodix, etc. They've been racing for a long time. I was recently looking at a set of the Trick Flow 320cc heads for my 427 and was able to talk to the guys at Good Guys this year. They seem to have a decent head package. I don't know how they compare to the others on such a higher end engine like you're planning, but on the smaller engines and the smaller heads (310-320cc) they seem to be pretty comparable. The port design seems nice, and from what I have been told their port velocity is pretty good, as well as doning some work to prevent port puddling in the rectangular shaped ports. I haven't picked one myself, but they look good, as well as Brodix heads. If you're looking for a max effort engine, I'd look at the Brodix myself. Maybe even a set of CNC ported Canfields.

Good rock and roll music should corrupt the young, it should corrupt them enough to think for themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement