Chevy Nova Forum banner

63 Nova Rear End Options

28K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  JBimmolate 
#1 ·
I am trying to figure out a rear end set up for my Father in Laws (mine) 63 Chevy II.

I have researched the 8.8 out of a 95-01 Explorer and seems like a good option, but is going to require Cutting the Axle Tube, drilling the axles, drilling the rotors etc.

What I would like to know, is there a Chevrolet Rear End (posi) that would be more of a bolt in that I could purchase a Disc Brake kit 4, such as the rear out of a 69 Camaro?

I have tried to research this on the site, but I am getting over whelmed!

Thanks,
Corey

#3 ·
Thanks, I have looked that site, but wondering what is the easiest solution.

I notice that the 78-88 Monte Carlos and Malibus are all 58" where the Nova is 57.75" I really don't think a 1/4" overall would be that big of deal. I know my buddy was able to buy a Disc Brake kit for a 79 Monte for a pretty good price.

#6 ·
rearend

I went the Ford explorer route on my 63, you can buy a posi rear-end with a good gear (mine is 3.55) with disc brakes pretty cheap. I think I paid about $200 to have the one axle shortened. There are a couple of how-tos on this site which did not use a jig. I bought the rotors already drilled with the Chevy bolt pattern from Currie.

I thought the rearend out of a Ford Ranger might be an option. The width is about perfect (slightly more narrow than stock Nova), is 8.8 but with 28 spline axles. They can be fitted with disc brakes from a Mustang (slight mod required, not very beefy). The differential is offset (about 1.5", I think) but the pinion angle is OK. I thought there might be an issue with the driveshaft hitting the tunnel so I did not go any further.

There is a rearend out of a 5 speed S10, one year only, that is supposed to fit well but they are rare and expensive.

Most of the 9in rears that fit the Nova are hard to come by.

I didn't want to go any wider. With a stock rear end on my 64, about 195s is as wide as you can go.

Mike

#7 ·
I went round and round on this topic and really felt that I looked at all options. At the end of the day, I bought a shortened 9" with 31 spline axles with the large bearing outers on it. I will use the Explorer style brake kit on it from either the right stuff or Currie.

It seemed to me that all other options would have some level of compromise and end up being close in cost.

The Explorer option seemed to be the one exception but at the end of the day, I did not want to play around with having one side shortened, find another short side axle, cut off the leaf mounts and mount up the correct mounts for my Nova, drill the rotors or end up buyng new ones anyway.
I do not have the right setup to do all of that in my garage and would likely have taken it somewhere to have it done right.

Our Novas are one of the harder cars to just swap a OEM axle into because of the limited selection of options.

One option you may want to look at is from an early Bronce (maybe 65, 66 range) and find a 9" out of one. They are a little narrower than stock.

#9 ·
This is mainly going to be for a cruising car. As of right now this is my father-in-laws car, but would be in my garage if I had room for it.

He built the car probably 20 years ago and it is in pretty good shape, but starting to show its age. The car still has 4 wheel drum brakes, but has 5 lug wheels on front and back.

I want to be able to take this car down to the Goodguys show in July just to have fun, but would like to get rid of the 4 wheels drum brakes, and upgrade to disc without braking the bank.

From what I understand, the car was originally a 6cyl car, but now has a 396 BB Chevy in it. It has the Typical Late 70s early 80's rake to the car also. Whoever had the car before my father in law, put on Fender Flares and big, wide Mickey Thomson Sportsman tires on it- Blahhhhh

I would like to eventually give this car a pro-touring type look. Right now I am leaning towards getting an 8.8, or trying to find a 9"

Corey

#12 ·
. The car still has 4 wheel drum brakes, but has 5 lug wheels on front and back.

would like to get rid of the 4 wheels drum brakes, and upgrade to disc without braking the bank.

Right now I am leaning towards getting an 8.8, or trying to find a 9"

Corey
If you have the 5 lug rear then I guess its an 8.2. Your easiest option is to add discs to that and add a posi unit.

The 8.8" or 9" would be good strong rears but if your not changing the suspension like to a 4 link you might want to consider rebuilding your rear to save on cutting the housing and axles

#10 ·
A big block 1st gen still running stock drum brakes-now that's just plain scary. I have the 8 3/4 out of a 67/68 big block Dodge Dart under my 1st gen. If I remember correctly (did the swap over 20 years ago) it was 3/4 of an inch narrower than the six cylinder rear I pulled out. The only thing I had to do was shorten the driveshaft a bit and change the rear universal joint. Bracket raced it hard with a strong small block, trans braked T400 and 4.10s for several years with no problems. Now on the street with a 355, a Tremec 5 speed and those same 4.10s. Discs up front and getting discs on the rear before the car hits the street this coming cruise season.

Mark

#15 ·
Here is some axle info

Year & Model Axle Length Notes
1965-1966 Mustang 57.25 inches
1967-1970 Mustang 59.25 inches
1971-1973 Mustang 61.25 inches
1977-1981 Versailles 58.50 inches
1967-1973 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 59.25 inches to
61.25 inches
1957-1959 Ranchero and station wagon 57.25 inches
1966-1977 Bronco 58 inches
1977-1981 Granada/Versailles 58 inches
1967-1971 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane 59.25 inches
1971-1973 Mustang 61.25 inches
1964 Falcon 58 inches
1967 Cougar 60 inches
1967 Fairlane 63.50 inches coil springs
1972 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches
1973-1986 Ford Van 3/4 ton 65.25 inches
1957-1959 Ranchero and station wagon
57.25 inches
narrowest 9" housing
1966-1977 Bronco 58 inches 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle
1967-1973 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes 59.25 inches or
61.25 inches
1967-1971 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches
1975 Mustang II 8" 57.00 inches
1974 Maverick 8" 56.50 inches

Where To Find The Nine Inch Rear Axle
1967-1973 medium and big block Mustangs and Cougars 1966-1971 Fairlanes, Torinos, Montegos, Comets, and other Ford intermediates with big blocks.
1957-1959 V8 Fords and Mercurys
1977-1981 Lincoln Versailles & Trucks

Types Of Nine Inch Axle Housings
1967-1973 Mustang/Cougar - light duty, thinnest housing material, small axle bearings, 28 and 31 splines.
1957-1968 passenger car and 1/2 ton truck - medium duty, stronger than Mustang type, 28 and 31 splines.
Ranchero/Torino - heavy duty thick wall housing, 3.25 inch diameter axle tubes with flat tops.
1969-1977 Galaxies (coils), Lincolns (coils), and late pickups (leaf)- 3.25 inch diameter all the way to the backing plate, coil housings have upper control arm mount

How To Recognize Nine Inch Housing Centers
1957 - no dimples, flat center band up the center of the rear cover, bottom drain plug.
1958-1959 - two dimples on back of housing, flat center band, some had drain holes.
1960-1967 - two dimples, flat center band, oil level hole in back cover.
1963-1977 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential, strong but no gears.

Tip On Shortening Nine Inch Axles
1972 and earlier 31 spline axles have the ability to be shortened.

28 spline axles are tapered and cannot be shortened and re-splined.
1973 and later cars have a 5-on-5 bolt circle and the axles cannot be shortened.
1967-1973 Mustang axles can be identified by wheel flange:
Oval hole = 28 splines.
Two large holes and counter-sunk center = 31 splines. info

#17 ·
If you're interested in an 8.8 rear end out of a low mileage Explorer, I have one that I would sell. It's already been narrowed and has open 3.55 gears in it. I'm on the north side of the Mpls./St. Paul area. You'd have to have the axles drilled, but I'm pretty sure it has 33 or 35 splined axles. I had it narrowed by a hot rod shop in Shakopee. Let me know if you're interested.

#18 ·
What would you be looking to get out of that rear?

You can shoot me a PM if you want.

I also have access to a rear out of a 2001 S-10 Blazer 4x. It is 59-1/2" wide from MS to MS. I was thinking that if this would work I could make up the difference in the wheel offset.

Corey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.