Chevy Nova Forum banner

Anybody want to follow along with my 4 speed conversion? Could use some help :)

10K views 63 replies 19 participants last post by  indianbullet 
#1 ·
I have started gathering parts for the swap, it's been many years since I have done this so I could use some help and advise from you all.... :)

I have just acquired some parts from my brothers 72 vette that he is doing a frame up resto on....
He has owned this car for about 30 years and is going to replace the 4 speed with a Tremic.....

So.....I have the Muncie M-20 as well as the original GM flywheel and a Hurst Comp shifter that he also had laying around.....

The trany is at a friends trany shop to be "gone thru"....rebuilt....
I had the flywheel turned and am posting some pix here for help in my bellhousing search....as well as clutch etc....

What size clutch will I need and does anybody have any recommendations of exactly what I should buy...?

Please understand that this car will never be raced and for the most part be driven sanely Although I will definitely do some gear bangin' and some clutch poppin' for sure....
I am thinking something like an SS would have come stock and definitely American made...maybe an 11 inch LUK..?
Keep in mind that I don't want spend an arm and a leg for a clutch....

I am also looking for the original looking shifter "arm" that will bolt onto the Hurst as well as the piece for my console to replace the automatic shifter "slider" with a stock appearing 4 speed shifter "boot/slider"....
Any help on finding those at the best price would be greatly appreciated as well....

Thanx for any help

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

See less See more
#2 ·
I remember seeing a stock appearing shift lever that bolts to a Hurst but I don't remember what site I saw it on....anyone know...?
Hurst makes a ton of them but they are not listed according to exact car applications....
I have buckets with a console....

#9 ·
I am having trouble finding an install kit as nobody (including Hurst) shows a kit for a Nova WITH console for anything other than a 1968.....?????
My car has a console....

I can't see it being different for a 72 when they use the same console...?
They all list kit #373-4529 for a 68 WITH a console.....
I tend to think that is the correct one....

Same thing for the stick....I have been told that stick #538-4106 would be the correct sick..?

Anybody know for sure...?

#11 ·
I have news for ya.

The shifter itself won't work either. Been there, done that. :eek:

C3 Vettes have a straight stick mounted straight up in the shifter body.

3rd gen Novas (or at least my '68) use a stick angled rearward, and also have an offset shifter arm connecting the stick to the shifter internals.

If you get your hands on an old Nova shifter you can rip it apart and take out the arm you need, and then swap it into the vette shifter body.

Since you are an auto now, you CAN cut a hole in the floor to make your shifter work but you may not be able to use the hump or your console that way.

#10 ·
What about the trany mount...? What will that be...?
Do I ask for a mount for a Muncie in a 72 Nova...?

What about a clutch...?
I am thinking of going with a Luk...I understand that they make them for GM...?
This is a street cat, will Never be raced but will definitely have a few "hot suppers" :D
Thanx!

#13 ·
What about the trany mount...? What will that be...?
Do I ask for a mount for a Muncie in a 72 Nova...?

What about a clutch...?
I am thinking of going with a Luk...I understand that they make them for GM...?
This is a street cat, will Never be raced but will definitely have a few "hot suppers" :D
Thanx!

#16 ·
Here's some great info on the shifters below, I went through this a few years back. I'm not sure why Hurst made it so confusing, the only real difference from 68 was in 69 the Muncie used a bolts rather then a stud and nut for the shifter linkage on the tranny, in 72 GM went to Saginaw 4 speed and stopped using the Muncies. From what I know 68-71 shifters will all interchange, the other beauty is 69 Camaro console shifter parts are the same as the 3rd gen Novas too.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33630

#17 · (Edited)
Clutch Time...

Keeping in mind that this is strictly a street car and will never be raced as long as I own it...I would like advice and opinions on which clutch to go with...

What I want is something similar to what an SS 4 speed would have come with from the factory...and...of course money IS an object so I am not going to go crazy :)

I am considering a LUK 10-1/2 inch...

Opinions...? Advise...? Thanx...

#25 · (Edited)
What am I missing...?

I have just purchased this stuff pictured below...
Other than the clutch assembly and everything that's in the bell housing what else do I need...?
I already have the trany...bell housing...shifter and install kit...console trim plate and rubber boot...

For some reason the pedal kit looks incomplete...for example there is only one ball....????
And what about bolts...? Seems like I should be using new flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts,trany to bellhousing bolts....any others I am not thinking of...?
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

#27 ·
in your pedal kit -- the ball besides the three clips is for the block side of the Z-bar. the second ball ( for the frame side ) is inserted into the END of the Z-bar already. that ball bolts to the frame plate shown next to it in the picture.

I'm doing this swap when the weather warms up , and have the pedal kit from Chevy2only, 250 6er , except with a sagnaw 4sp.

pm sent

jim

#31 · (Edited)
Im pretty sure the mount will work. I know you have a muncie but my th350 mount fit my ST10 4 speed conversion. And make sure you get proper pressure plate bolts as they are shouldered to apply the right amount of clamping force. Do you already have a yoke? I guess you will have to wait til its installed to check driveshaft length.

#32 ·
Ya...the ARP bolts will be fine on the pressure plate as well as flywheel to crank...
I only have one trany to bell bolt tho, should they grade 8 or 10 bolts?
And what about the bell to block bolts? I'm thinkin regular bolts there...?

Thanx for all of your help guys...this seems like a good forum with some good people :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.