Chevy Nova Forum banner

AR Torq Thrust: Old Vs. New

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Fleeter 
#1 ·
I can get my hands on an original old set of Torq Thrusts. I am going to go look at them but the guy says they need a cleaning but there in great shape no pits and curb rash!

That being said I don't think there chrome from all the pictures I have seen. I am wondering if there is any value to these because I know the new versions are quite popular. Is there a difference? quality? value?

I thought it would be cool just to have period correct after market wheels. At the moment I don't find the large wheel diameters as attractive as having the larger tire.

Thanks for any insight, info or even your opinion!

Brian

#6 ·
He meant that an 8" wide rim with only 3.75" of backset probably won't clear the fenders on the rear of a 3rd gen car...

I have 15x8 with 4.5" backset - 255/60/15 tires on mine and they barely clear the fender lip, and the tire actually rubs on the inner fenderwell when I jump on the gas or hit a dip in the road...

You have a 2nd gen I see now - check the 2nd gen wheel and tire fitment sticky at the top of the page to see what some people get to fit...

#9 ·
In a nut shell - backspace is the distance from the mounting surface OC the rim and the hub to the lip of the rim on the inside. Easy way to measure - lay a straight edge across the back of the rim, the measure from that straight edge down to the mounting point - the more backspace the further the rim is "moved" into the wheel well toward the center of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
AR Torq Thrust...

Thanks everyone,

I have learned lots about rims and tires because of all the help!

They aren't going to fit, I have 14X6 rallies with a 4 1/2 backspace and these rims had something like 3 1/4 plus they were 8 inches wide at the back. They would of hit the fender for sure and even if I lifted the car (which isn't an option), they still would of stuck out to far.

Back to the drawing board!

Anyone have any suggestions for a period correct rim?

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.