Chevy Nova Forum banner

Portable garages

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Prairie Kid 
#1 ·
Just wondering what Canadian cities laws are for erecting portable garages, specifically edmonton, i plan on calling our city information line tomorrow, but wondering if people here have had any negative experiences with bylaw regarding them.

Im looking at what looks to be a nice one, 12x20 and 8 feet high nice walls, sloped roof, soft not solid siding. and i really want it to free up garage space and have a place i dont have to worry about messing up when i work.

#2 ·
I would be worried about the wind. Have seen those things rolling down the street when I was living in Lethbridge.

I think I would only use one as a temp shelter, not for a regular garage.

Ray

#3 ·
ive got the wind problem solved, i plan on bolting it into the cement, we have the proper drill for the cement at work, we had to set up canopies to do major hail damage repair to the vehicles on the lot. bolted into the cement, the sucker wont even budge

#5 ·
Typically portable, temporary or non permanent structures have no issues with any by-laws, but it's alway good to be sure. I had 2 of them up for a couple years in Ontario, with no issues.

#13 ·
My Dad has the yellow one and it's on it's 5th year of being up continually all year round.:yes: The only damage has been from heavy wet snow with no wind.

#10 ·
im talking about the tube and tarp ones.

they wont hold snow unless i add reinforcement to the roof, it would need to be knocked off after each snowfall for sure.

i could only find bylaws regarding permanent structures. not temporary ones. a guy across the alley has one, but its in his backyard and he has a cargo gate that opens wide enough for a car, this yard im working in doesnt. it would basically be set up across the driveway from the garage, facing the back alley. current garage is parallel to the alley. so there would be about 10 feet for us to get into the garage. im just hoping there isnt any sort of dumb distances i need to give to the alley or the neighbours land that the main garage isnt already impeding on.

oh well, i will buy one anyways, if i cant set it up at the current location i'll throw it up in a buddies yard instead.

i just want somewhere i dont have to constantly pull the car out to work on, then back into the corners for room to park the driving ones. constantly setting up and tearing down my tools and car location is more than annoying, especially in cold weather.

#12 ·
i just want somewhere i dont have to constantly pull the car out to work on, then back into the corners for room to park the driving ones. constantly setting up and tearing down my tools and car location is more than annoying, especially in cold weather.
thats exactly why i got mine!
its working out quite well and now that its winter the car is in the garage and the tractor/snowblower is in the tent.things seem to be working out good....for now:eek:

#15 ·
Buy one at Costco! They are great and have all the side and end curtains. Just make sure you tie it down and support the roof framing? They don't have a very good snow load. So,, look at your situation and prepare for the worst!!!!

#16 ·
yeah, we are getting a good 4 or so inches in one night of snow every so often. the one i picked up was one from a shelter supply shop originally, i bought it used.

its a fairly thick wrap, and the frame seems strong, i have to set it up as if its an extension to the garage door in order for bylaw to be happy with it, which helps because our friend doesnt mind parking under it, while the nova stays in the garage, so its a win win. i can also completely brace it to the garage that way too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.