Chevy Nova Forum banner

What bucket seats are you running in your 3rd gen

36K views 47 replies 38 participants last post by  Superdave 
#1 · (Edited)
I know a lot guys want to swap over to bucket seats. I bought a set of GTO seats, but really don't know if I'm going to be able to get them to be low enough to be happy with them.

Other than stock nova seats, what seats are you guys running and what is the fitment like on them Hopefully this will help out a lot us trying to decide which seats to run. Since I've posted this thread to help out others, can you also post what vehicle and year that you got yours from and what you had to make them fit.

#2 ·
Mike, I had some Cadillac seats in my car, too high.....Clint had some GTO seats in his...all too high. We went to the trans Am seats and I have to say they are perfect. I know it's a second gen, but we had the same issue, head room is headroom, no matter what car it's in.

The seats are very adjustable for tilt, up and down, and they also have the seat catch to tilt the back forward. The height is pefect, should have done this before. Might bear some looking into.....

T,

#6 ·
Mike, I had some Cadillac seats in my car, too high.....Clint had some GTO seats in his...all too high. We went to the trans Am seats and I have to say they are perfect. I know it's a second gen, but we had the same issue, head room is headroom, no matter what car it's in.

The seats are very adjustable for tilt, up and down, and they also have the seat catch to tilt the back forward. The height is pefect, should have done this before. Might bear some looking into.....

T,
They are nice Tom. Clint actually sent me a picture of his already. The only thing I don't like about them is the 'gills' or whatever they are on the side. Although wouldn't take much for an upholsterer to get rid of that. What year are yours from?

#3 ·
Good question Mike...

For me I found mine like most people did back in the day, At a junk yard. They are early 90's Ponitac seats out of a Sunbird which is the same as a Cavalier..I love them. Nice high back with a decent amount of bolster support...Are they a racing seat? Nope but a very comfy driver seat.

Plus they bolt flat to the floor.Most import seats you will find are angles in the front...

I'm sure there is other out there that are just as nice..

#46 ·
I used to run those. I liked them so much, I got another set and put them in a Dart I put together. Plus, a good friend got a set for his Ford Fairlane.

Mine came out of a 93 Pontiac Sunbird.

They have since gone into storage, as I put a set of race seats in the car after I put the roll bar in.

#4 · (Edited)
I do upholstery work myself and made these for my 69', not sure but I think they are called Wolfrace,had them in another car about 20 years ago, also made a rear seat in the same style.....
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Also made these for a friend, they are Recaro's from a 95' Ford Cosworth....
[/URL][/IMG]

If I should suggest some modern seats I would take a look at early 90' Honda Civic, they have modern comfort and kind of a classic look if you take away the headrest and cover them with vinyl or leather, like these from a 93'
[/URL][/IMG]

#12 ·
i snagged some late 70s camaro buckets out of a 90s s10 from a buddies lowrider that he parted out... Dunno if many of u know that 1st gen s10 bucks bolt directly to stock nova sliders and bolt up... Had some in my 74 hatchback that somebody busted the drivers window & stole them with my monster tach...

#15 ·
Can you post some pics of the sliders you used. I'd really like to use the seats (with power if I can figure it out) but have considered using manual sliders.

Hey Mike, just so you know all GM seats are the same, just mounting brackets and outer coverings are different. My upholstery guy informed me when I was having my bench done, he keeps all the late 60's and early 70's seats for this reason. Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Chevelle, and Nova all use the same frames. I find my bench sits higher than my buckets. I stand 5'9" too.
Interesting. Didn't know that.

#14 ·
Hey Mike, just so you know all GM seats are the same, just mounting brackets and outer coverings are different. My upholstery guy informed me when I was having my bench done, he keeps all the late 60's and early 70's seats for this reason. Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Chevelle, and Nova all use the same frames. I find my bench sits higher than my buckets. I stand 5'9" too.

#34 ·
I owned an '88 CRX for 14 years. Those seats will leave you saddle sore on a long trip.

#24 ·
I bought some seats from a 1998 sebring convertible the junk yard charged 75 that was the 2 front and the rear,i had to cut some stuff off the seats and make and weld my own stuff on it to bolt to the floor,it was not to bad,if your not experianced at metal fab i would pass. I have to re build some back stuff to make the rear seats fit,i did all this today and will work on rear this weekend. BUT it looks good and they are comfy and not to high,with power drivers side. I wanted those seat they have the intagrated seat belt one huge plus. SO I HAD to take my car on a maiden voyage today when i got my seats in,and the engine back up an runing last night, no hood,lights trim ,half in pieces yet for paint but i could not resist my new 425 Hp engine i made. i have a m21 muncie and it seem like it will be way fun .oh and i need to mount the dodge neon center councel they all look real nice togather.
i tried 1999 concorde seat no good would have to butcher the seat

#35 ·
I installed front & rear seats from a 1998 Sebring convertible in '04. Still in use everyday. I have gotten more compliments on my interior than anything else on the car. I still like the seats but the car corners so well now that a little more side support would be nice. (I have found myself actually sliding in the seat if I push the car into corners really hard.)

#25 ·
Seats

Mike,

So what did you end up doing? Did you use the GTO seats?

Look to upgrade my front seats. I've been looking at the new style GTO seats. I need to do some measuring to see if I can make the height work. They look like nice seats though.

Chad

#26 ·
Hey Chad. Still have the GTO seats. Haven't had much time lately to get out to the shop. Have been doing home renos. Still plan on using them. I think I'm going to take them to an upholstery shop and have them cut the seat bottoms down. The foam is close to 6 inches thick so I have quite a bit to play with and still keep it firm enough.

If you decide to get rid of the power sliders, you'll have no problem at all with the height. I just really like the idea of keeping the power options. I think it will fit my build better keeping the power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.