Chevy Nova Forum banner

Mustang II front clip

14K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  JRouche 
#1 ·
I Have been doing some research on front clips for my 63. Ok the thing is I don't wanna spend a ton of money on just a front clip if I can build one with new parts for half of the price they want for one and on the plus size It will keep me busy during the winter:yes: Hopefully someone has built one for thier nova or hotrod so I would know if its the right decision to make. Here is one the crossmember kits I've found www.welderseries.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_25&products_id=423 Has anyone used these?

#4 ·
I have the churchboys rack setup on mine and just love it. Drives like a new car.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86968
Chuck and his Dad are great will answer anything you may want to know. I really like the looks of the rack behind the cross-member and not in front were it can be hit with something going down the road. My car set low so I have to keep up with stuff in the road. And you can get the rack at any parts store and they are cheep compared to some of the other racks out there. No welding bolts right in. And you can it a peace at a time and add on as you get the time and money.

#5 ·
It doesn't have to be a m2 front end but I'd like to have tubular a-arms and I'm wanting coilover springs to get rid of those shock towers, also since I'd have to buy all new bushings for my a arms I rather spend the money for tubular so I could narrow the front some also. With the crossmember im going to move the wheels back to. I have read many topics on your churchboys kit and I really like. Since I'm wanting the whole nine yards I think it's best for me that I get the front clip or in my case build it.

#6 ·
12 years ago I bought a MII cross member for the 62 Nova from Arizona Nova (think they outta business) and welded it to the stock frame rails. Bought a steering rack, tubular MII control arms, spindles and disc brakes (brackets and calipers included) from JPL Street Rods. Under a grand for the bunch. The prices really haven't changed that much. Pretty easy operation on the cheap. It was really nice to cut out all that extra weight of the stock suspension. JR

#10 ·
That is ball park figure that I came up with all new componets. I've been checking ebay, craigslist, racing junk so I can get some good used parts for less money and shouldn't have that much invested. Since I work at a metal shop I can use what I need. One plus on m2 front end since thier all types of after market parts all ready made to fit 1st and 2nd novas I shouldn't have problems finding the right parts. More money saved is more money to spend somewhere else:D

#7 ·
Yeah it's nice to lose the shock towers, especially if you are considering ever going to a big block.

I put an Arizona Nova front X-member in my 64 back in 1994. The car now still has the same X-member with Heidt's polished stainless tubular control arms, Heidt's 2" drop spindles, QA-1 aluminum coil-overs, and Wilwood disc brakes. Looks semi-factory too. Retains the stock inner fenderwells with the exception of eliminating the shock towers.

#8 ·
I put an Arizona Nova front X-member in my 64 back in 1994. The car now still has the same X-member with Heidt's polished stainless tubular control arms, Heidt's 2" drop spindles, QA-1 aluminum coil-overs, and Wilwood disc brakes. Looks semi-factory too. Retains the stock inner fenderwells with the exception of eliminating the shock towers.
Hey!! Another Arizona Nova cross member user. Love it!!! I made my own inner fender wells out of sheet metal. Kinda cool to hear about another guy using one. Thats ALL there was available back then. That or Fatmans strut conversion, which was expensive. Things have opened up alot for our lil Novas since then. JR

#18 ·
Ya I have no problem welding it myself. Money ain't the problem I'm tight and if I can do it myself and save $200 bucks I will do it myself:eek::DI have checked out thier kits before do you know if they have some sort of DIY un-welded kit or something that thier not offering on thier site?

#19 ·
i designed and built my front clip and unless you want to do it just to do it, don't do it:no:, because thats the only reason i did mine, but if i had to do it over again i would shell out a couple grand in a hearbeat...but i didn't use any of the stock stuff, i made a core support and fender bars and hoop support...heres some pics

#22 ·
I have done it two ways - installed a Heidt's crossmember on a stock frame and built my own 2x3 frame with an MII crossmember. Here is another great source for you: Jim Weimer Rod Garage (JWrodgarage.com). I used their crossmember ($300 shipped) and it is excellent quality, all TIG-welded. I am just about to do my third conversion and will use the JW crossmember (again) on the stock frame. I have plans for a fourth (next year) and will probably use the Church Boys setup since it is an SS and I want to use bolt-on parts. Good luck with the build. - Mick

#24 ·
and I'm wanting coilover springs to get rid of those shock towers,
Just a heads up... If cost is a factor, you don't have to do coilovers to get rid of the shock towers. A straight M2 suspension with coil springs will do the same thing. I run a TCI front clip with 300# coil springs and it is great.
Depending on what your goals are, I am more of a believer in doing the front end and not just a conversion to clean up the engine compartment. It is great not have the shock towers in there.
Tg

#25 ·
Yeah just going to a Mustang II allows you to get rid of the shock towers. Then you have all the room in the world and don't need to run fenderwell headers. Plus you can easily stuff a rat in if you want to.

You can always upgrade to coil-overs and tubular control arms later. They're a bolt-in with no additional modifications required. That's what's nice about the Mustang II set-up (in addition to handling great). There are tons of aftermarket components available that are bolt-ons.

#33 ·
:D Yup, thats when I bought mine. Went and looked at the lil yellow receipt. Aug of 1995. Seems like yesterday. Oh, maybe cause I have been stagnate for working on the car for so long. Not anymore, full steam ahead!!!! JR

Oh yeah. What I thought was funny is the price hasnt changed much.

#32 ·
Actually, neither of these is the SS. The full frame is going under a 1962 coupe and the other one shown in the photos is the wagon. Just like many others on this site, I am obsessed with Chevy II's. I have one wagon, three coupes, two Super Sports, and a few 4-door parts cars (all of these are first gen). I have three projects going on right now, hopefully at least one of them will be driveable by next Spring.

I started on the wagon last summer, designed and built a custom triangulated 4-link for the rear, replaced some body panels, installed the front crossmember, and then tucked it away in back of the shop to start on the pro-streeter. The wagon will have full air-ride and be my cruiser. I also started tearing apart one SS last weekend. I am going to try to have most of the fabrication finished on the pro-streeter this month.

Now that I have learned how to post pictures, I will post more over the next few weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.