Chevy Nova Forum banner

Floor boards

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  taters 
#1 ·
"Ok" for my first post (aside from introductions) which can always be a bit unsettling. I bought my first "1st Gen" Nova wagon yesterday and need some guidance. I spent pretty much all day ripping out the old carpet and cutting out the rusted floorboards (pics soon). I am now searching for quality replacements and was wondering what folks in here have used. I only need the front floor boards as the rest are in good shape. Thanks!

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/1450834248.html

#2 ·
I'm also doing my full floors on my 62 4dr 400. Ordered full pans from CARS and they fit fairly well. Had to do a little banging where the floors curved around the rear fenders, and the rear seat hold down recesses were not there, Had to cut out of old floor pan and weld them in. The stress grooves in the front of the new pan were vertical and the old ones were diagonal. Just heated end of both and remolded. Looks fine. Have some pics if your interested.

#4 ·
I personally would reccommend buying a one piece full floor with all the braces etc. attached if its in your budget. I bought the left and right sections which go from the rocker to the trans tunnel but don't include the full tunnel and it was a total pain. Not to mention after I started I realized I was about an inch short with the panels around the tunnel/firewall because of the metal being too thin and I now have to cut more out and fill it in with a strip of metal. I am strongly considering just cutting it all back out and starting over with a full pan. I attached some pictures so you can get an idea of what I mean. They are only part way done. Still ALOT of welding and grinding to do:eek:

#6 ·
I will second this. Nightshade has great prices and the parts he sells are top notch. Remember, with any patch panel it wont be a direct fit. Really you should have waited to cut out the floors but too late for that. Read the thread on doing the floor patches and that should help quite a bit.
I have a 63 wagon as well and bought just the front left and right section and do know that it's going to be much more work this way than a full pan but it all depends what kind of budget you have to work with.

#7 ·
I bought my floor pans for my '72 Nova from Classic Industries. They sell partial pans to the entire floor board. They are an exact match and they sell them for other year cars. Right now, they have a 15% discount through the end of the year.

Also, after you intall you new pans, use POR-15 on them. You will never have to worry about them rusting out again.

#8 ·
Worked on the wagon today. I'm on a very limited budget on this vehicle and just can't afford the re-placement floors, so I did the next best thing! I had some old fender wells lying around and after looking at them decided that they might just work! I had to cut them up into different sizes and shapes but so far things are going well. I will POR 15 the whole job when done and with the new carpet / pads it should work just fine for an every day driver.

#9 ·
Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Escpecially with how things are with the world these days. That looks like it should work and if your just fixing it up to drive then it really doesn't matter. You can always cut that stuff back out and redo it later when things are better if you want.

#10 ·
Looks great. Noone said it has to look good under that carpet, as long as it keeps out moisture and noise. One thing I am looking into right now is a cheap alternative to Lizzard Skin which has been discussed many times on many forums but they use ceramic micro spheres and latex house paint. I am trying to figure out another cheap solution with the spheres but some kind of rust preventer paint instead like mixing it with POR15 or SPI's Epoxy primer. I will give you the details on this either tonight or tomorrow. All in all you should be able to sound deaden and insulate the whole wagon with one gallon and no more than $60-$100.
Once I get a few of my questions answered from the owner of SPI I will let you know about this stuff and how to do it.
Keep up the good work!

#11 ·
My 62 4Dr 400 Floor Pan Replace

Here are some pics of my Full Floor Pan Replace. The pans are painted and waiting to go back in after I get all the Blasting & Painting done on the Inerior, which I pretty much finished up today.

The pans are from C.A.R.S. Inc Berkley MI 1-800-CARS INC
62-67 Nova Full Left Pan Part # 12077 - 175.50 +Tx + Ship
62-67 Nova Full Right Pan Part # 12078 - 175.50 +Tx + Ship

This price was 7-22-04 - Yea it's taken me awhile due to a lot of stuff going on.

http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp67/dchurch46/Floor Pan/

#12 ·
"Bassinnovas" very nice! When I pulled my carpets up the floors were not is as bad of shape as I thought. I didn't want to cut out good metal so I decided to go the cheap route and just replace what needed replacing. Maybe someday if I keep it long enough I'll do what you are doing! :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.