Chevy Nova Forum banner

4 Speed or Overdrive Transmission

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Pandora's Box 
#1 ·
I was wondering if their is a 4 speed transmission/overdrive transmission that will bolt to a SBC 350 that does not require a computer or major adjustments to fit a 65 Nova?

The 700R4 requires the computer and harness, I was just wondering if their was something easier.

Food for though....

#6 ·
700R4s don't require a computer either. The computer in a factory application would control the lock-up converter. You have three options during a retrofit:

1. Buy a kit to mechanically control the lock-up
http://www.summitracing.com/search/transmission-type/700r4/part-type/torque-converter-lock-up-kits

2. Use a non-lock-up converter
http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/torque-converters/transmission-type/700r4/lockup/no

3. Keep the factory converter and don't hookup the lock-up. This is how I run mine. You'll lose a small amount of highway efficiency this way. I avg 22 mpg on the highway and have run it for 7 years now.

#7 ·
Like the other said, the 700R4 does not "require" a controller of any sort, but for the lockup, one can be added if you feel so inclined.

You're confusing the 700R4 with the 4L60E. The 4L60E is basically a ECM controlled later version of the original 700R4 O/D trans. On the 4L60E you will require a controller of some type.

I have friends up in MI that have run the 700R4 in streetrods without lockup for years with great results. They are also very reasonably priced for mild engine builds. There are MANY on this site using the 700R4 in very high performance applications and they are very happy with them as long as they are built to handle the hp applied.

#8 ·
^ ^ ^ What he said! ^ ^ ^ :yes:

With a couple of exceptions, you can run a 4L60 without a computer. The 4L60 is the same as a 700R4 but different than the 4L60e. Also, it is best to run a lock-up converter. A lock-up converter will not only give you a little better fuel economy but also is better for the tranny because it keeps tranny fluid temps down and heat is the kiss of death in most trannys but especially in an overdrive.

Also, if you can wire a light socket you can hook up a lock up converter.

#9 ·
I agree with the 5 above me.....

700r4 had a kickdown and no computer control....

Alot of rods down here have 700r4 and they are always on the lookout for them....

I ll be planning to install one in my car very soon..... :yes:

#10 ·
700r4 had a kickdown and no computer control....
You touched on a very important point here... the "kickdown" on a 700r4 functions differently than a TH350 or TH400. The 700r4 has a "throttle valve" cable which sets the shift points under all throttle conditions. It's very critical that this is set correctly. Read more here:
http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

I agree with P's Box, it is best to run a lock-up for the sake of minimizing slippage which keeps the heat down. But depending on your budget, it isn't a deal-breaker. When I installed mine, I didn't have the extra $75-100 laying around to get the kit.

#11 ·
For that matter, it may be worth mentioning that my biggest disappointment when I installed the 700r4 were the shift points and lack of a solid "kick-down" like my TH350 had. I bought the kit in the link I sent you, and I think it made a big improvement. The new TV cable they send you has a ratcheting adjustment, which I found to be very user friendly.

I still don't have much of a "kick-down", but from what I've read that has more to do with the springs/weights in the governor. I haven't had the time, money, or inclination to fool with it. I just downshift it manually.

#13 ·
Forget the 700R4, I was thinking of going that route, but now am going with a TH400 and Gear Vendors Over/Under Drive. You could probably use a TH350 but either or, you'll have a 6 speed tranny with overdrive, and its all a bolt up! :yes:

#15 ·
Do you have to hit that little button every single time you want it to drop into the under/overdrive gear? Seems like that would get old pretty quick. Sorta defeats the purpose of having an "automatic." To each their own I suppose.
Not to mention that at over 3 grand it's more than 3 times the cost of a 700R4 alone. :eek:

But then if you've got a lot of money to burn I guess it doesn't matter.

Like you mentioned..... "To each their own". :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.