Chevy Nova Forum banner

New Posi rearend with 3.73's.... Break in tips?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  $Pike 
#1 ·
Well I just got my car off of the lift with all the new bushings and new rearend bolted up and I cant wait to stomp all over it! Before I do I read that I should let it have a few heat cycles? Suggestions?

#2 ·
Per Richmond gear!

BREAK IN

A new ring and pinion installation, especially a high numeric ratio with new bearings, can cause an excessive heat buildup in the rear end and cause softening of the gear teeth and bearings if a break in is not performed.

Street vehicles should be driven at normal street driving speed for approximately 10 miles, then stop and let cool for 30 minutes. Do this 2 to 3 times. Towing vehicles need approximately 200-300 miles of normal street driving before being used for towing.

On circle track race cars make approximately 6 to 8 laps at slow speed, then let cool for 30 minutes. Make 6 to 8 more laps at slow speed, then 2 to 3 laps at full speed, the let cool again for 30 minutes.

Drag cars need only an initial run-in since they are driven short distances and heat is not normally a problem with proper lube and backlash allowance.

NOTE: If after the above break in is performed, overheating of the rear end is suspected, repeat the final portion of the break in procedures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.