Chevy Nova Forum banner

"New" Coil Over Conversion

29K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  GTI 
#1 ·
Now available is our CBR/VARISHOCK coil over conversion for the 62-67 ChevyII Nova. Converting the stock front suspension of your 1962 to 1967 ChevyII Nova to coil-over shocks is now a simple bolt-on procedure (Some applications will require a small amount of grinding). Our exclusive modular shock-tower-adapter system and spherical-stem assembly gives you the ability to use our system in a variety of performance applications. The tower adapter and lower crossbar replace the factory shock mount and lower spring perch respectively. Lightweight billet-aluminum VariShock coil-overs are available in 16-position single-adjustable or 256-combination double-adjustable versions. Kits include shocks, springs, tower adapters with reinforcement plate, and mounting hardware.

VAS-86X10F1 788.00

62-67 NOVA CHEVY II BOLT-IN FRONT SINGLE ADJUSTABLE COILOVER CONVERSION,

INCLUDES SHOCKS, SPRINGS & SHOCK TOWER ADAPTERS.

MAS-86X10F2 988.00

62-67 NOVA CHEVY II BOLT-IN FRONT DOUBLE ADJUSTABLE COILOVER CONVERSION,

INCLUDES SHOCKS, SPRINGS & SHOCK TOWER ADAPTERS

....and shown with optional polished cap/double adjustable

See less See more
#5 ·
I have been fine tuning the coil over adjustments for the Chuck Wagon and I must say that the car is really liking the changes that have been made. I can comfortably take the on and off ramps on my way to work just as fast as I did when I was driving my 98 Z-28. Well almost as comfortable, the bench seat does not compare to a nice bucket but, you know what I mean.

The adjustments are easy and each click really does make a significant change!

#9 ·
That's pretty much how I did mine and Derek's, only I used some blocks of cherry I had floating aruond in place of the bearing plate. It made it easier for me to match the spring angles and keep the assembly straight in the press.

#13 ·
Adjustment

Chuck,
i like the look of your top mounts,realy clean.
My 66 wagon sets low in the front. 11" from the ground.
Can i get this same with your coilovers?. Also will they
work with cpp upper arms? I have those installed now.
Thanks,
mike

#14 ·
Yes they will work with CPP uppers.Where are you measuring your ride height? Are you using stock or dropped spindles?Chuck has stock spindles on his wagon and we had to raise it up for him because he did not like it low.We never took a measurement at the time.I have Drop spindles on mine and it will definately sit LOOOWWWWW.

#15 ·
I am think of doing this conversion on my nova. Can you give more info on the amount of drop these will give? I think I read chuck said it gave him about 2" drop with stock spindles. Is that with either shock (double or single)?

Also could you school me on the benifits of the coilovers? I have never used them and I have not found a writeup on what the pro's are to installing these. Let alone from single to double adjustments. Do they make the front end very ridged and harsh or soft?

Do you have to eliminate the coil cover inside the wheelwells? If so i may weld thos holes closed now before I paint the engine bay. I am really up in the air with coilovers vs drop spindles. Are you guys still selliing the drop spindle? The car will be for street only!

#17 ·
My personal opinion is for stock steering drop spindles are the best chioce!!
The coil overs work so well on the CBR rack conversion due to the improvements in steering geometry(bump steer).If you lower a stock front with coil overs or short springs I think you will be disapointed long term.

As for the plates inside the wheel well they do not NEED to be there as the shocks have thier own bump stop but I have not seen anybody leave them off

#16 ·
the coil covers are retained and installed. the adjustments of the shocks can be from one end of the spectrum to the next... harsh to soft. compression/extension can be adjusted for any driving situation.

drop is as Chuck stated... approximately 2" without the use of a drop spindle...

#19 ·
Yes they do still sell them. If you have the CBR R&P you will need to make sure that you get the 2 piece spindles (might be all they sell now) so that you can use the CBR cnc steering arms.

I bought mine from Walt at Classic Nova.

#20 ·
Sorry Guys we do not have any Drop spindles available. We had some and before I released them to the public I double checked the tolerances and found that they were not built correctly, therefore we do not have them to sell.

The issue was that they were built the same as the "A" body or Chevelle spindle which moves the king pin angle down too much causing for not enough Negative camber to be allowed witch would not give you a good alignment.

Now back to the coil over thread....

#22 ·
For your application you have received the Viking double adjustable coil overs. These use the stock shock tower to allow more shock travel.

You have replied in the thread concerning the Varishock coil over which replaces the shock tower....difference between the two is the shock travel and cost....your viking double adjust coil overs were 600 where as the vairshock double adjust are 988.

#24 ·
Can I ask what your application is that requires the Viking coil overs instead of the Varishock?

I did not see a Viking coil over option on CBR's webpage. Are you using stock upper control arms? If so, what happens if you decide to use CBR uppers later? Will the Viking still work with all suspension applications?

Sorry about all the questions, I probably should be asking Church.

#26 ·
Thanks for the reply lance. So… if I understand correctly, the Viking coil over only works with CBR upper control arms, not stock control arms? :yes: :no:

Since I have to replace my springs and shocks anyway, would I be able to use the Vikings that CBR sells with my stock upper control arms?" If so, will they still work with CBR upper control arms later? I assume they are adjustable too?
I will see if I can find their web sight.

#27 ·
Ok found web sight, looks like they build to suit. They must put together exactly what CBR orders from them. Very cool :cool:

Are we allowed to post company links? Probably not, I should read the forum rules. :eek:

These icons are kinda fun. Makes me feel like a little kid!:moped:

#28 ·
The Viking coil overs are something Chuck has been working directly with Viking to design to his specifications. They will work just as well with stock upper arms or the CBR uppers. Stock width cross bar on the bottom and retains all the factory mounting hardware on the top as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.