Chevy Nova Forum banner

Weld in mustang ii crossmember

7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Rotorbolt 
#1 ·
I have a 62 2d HT and I am thinking about using a mustang II weld in crossmember on the original frame rails. If anyone has done this could you give me any pointers, pictures would be great. I tried a search on the site but it didn't bring up what I was looking for. I have a doner front stub with all the parts so I don't need the kits that websites sell, just the crossmember and lower A arms. Which is why I am looking to go in this direction.

#2 ·
First off, welcome to the site! As you hang around here, you will find all kinds of infomation and help.

I am not sure about this, but I think that those weld in MII cross members are normally used with a retangular tube frames, not with a sheetmetal style front ends like you have on a first generation Nova. I could be wrong. Maybe someone else will chime in here with more information for you. I used a Heidt's front clip on mine. Here is a link to my photo bucket account. If you look on the left side of the page, you will find "folders" with various photos in them. It might be helpfull for you.
www.photobucket.com/albums/c231/62civa

Ron

#5 ·
Here's mine. It has an Arizona Nova Mustang II x-member welded into the stock front subframe with the factory shock towers removed.

I installed mine back in 1994 before any of the clips were even out yet.

It has tubular control arms, Heidts 2" Mustang II drop spindles, Koni adjustable coil-overs, and Wilwood Dynalite II disc brakes.

It retains all of the factory mounting holes so the fenders and hood hinges all bolt-up perfectly exactly like they did from the factory. I also added support tubes that are welded to the frame rails and extend through the firewall and tie into the 12 point roll cage for added strength. You can either remove the factory brace in front of the rack or leave it in place.

#6 ·
I think this was more common before everyone started making front clips. Today you can buy a jig welded clip for under $400.00 last I checked and you don't have to worry about heat moving anything or even having to measure. I love to weld but I know when I'm beat!:yes::yes:

#7 ·
I installed heidt's crossmember on stock framerails, and it worked fine. They do give you instructions when you buy the crossmember
http://www.heidts.com/pdf/IN-071.pdf
The finished track width is a little narrower than stock which helps clearance at front of wheelwell. I used mostly ford factory suspension from the wrecking yard 74-78 mustang II. I used this: http://www.heidts.com/index.cfm/pag...egory_id=100/home_id=100/mode=prod/prd115.htm
so I could use ford lower control arm I thought the aftermarket system using an A arm with a tube and gusset looked flimsy. I have fenderwell headers, I don't know how my setup would work with undercar headers.

Have fun, Scott

#9 ·
Heres' mine. Its a Heidts weld in crossmember with the lower arm tubes/ gussets add on option for their lower "economy" style control arms.
This was installed in my ex-boss's 66 wagon project originally when I worked in a auto restoration shop several years ago. I recently ended up with it and am in the process of installing it in my 64. Go to the Heidts web site and you can download and printout the instructions to give you a better idea of whats involved in installing one of these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.