Chevy Nova Forum banner

4L60E transmission Low1 won't hold my truck back going down hill, why?

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bigdaddykane 
#1 ·
Hey guys, this question is actually for my truck, i hope some one can shed some light for me...When i put in Low 1 and gas it, it goes normal. but if i go down hill in Low 1 with out my my foot on the throttle the truck rolls like as if its in neutral without trying to bring the RPM's up and slowing down the truck and i hear some rattling,skipping noise, why? the motor used hold me back in low 1 if i didnt give any gas in the past.... also, i dont know if its because the warmer temperature outside but after driving for 20-30 minutes i hear some noise from under the truck recently and it increases and decreases with RPM....and if i turn the truck off and restart it after 30 seconds and doesnt do the noise until after 5 minutes of using it. anyone got any ideas on whats going on? my truck is a 4.3 automatic 4x4 with 62k miles on it.......

#3 ·
its all stock...im familiar with the lock up but thats not what im checking because the lock up works great. so lets say your at a top of a hill and you pull the gear lever all the way down until it bottoms and its now in 1st gear. the selector in the dash reads low1, not drive or overdrive but rather 1 . so now i let off the brake and i start rolling down this steep hill and im not giving any gas at all. the engine should hold me back and the RPM's should be going up as my speed increases. but the rpm's are not...the rpm's are staying at idle and the truck rolls free like as if its in neutral. why?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.