Chevy Nova Forum banner

1969 zz 502

5K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Trbulnc 
#1 ·
hey guys i am brand new here. ....and i suck on computers so bear with me..
i am putting a zz 502 in my award winning 43,000 mile 1969 L-78 nova. and hell yes i am having issues, i am wondering if any one out there has also been down this road. my biggest problem has been with header fitment.i also can help if anyone is doing this since i am almost done with my project.

i have installed a 9 in. moser w/ cal tracks and am running a 400 turbo and am trying to keep my car pristine and easily return to stock.no welding/drilling or cutting.but this header issue has pissed me off!i have tried the hooker super comps 2.125-3.5 combo. i am now looking at the hedman 2.0-3.0 header do i really need 2.125 pipe and 3.5 collecter? my 502 will make about 550 h.p (it is not stock crate) does any one have these hedmans on a zz502? i will sit back and chime in if any one has any thoughts on this thanks. rat

#6 ·
Well first off I think unless you have someone custom make headers you will have some clearance issues. Especially if you have power steering. Every nova owner I have met with a BBC has had to beat a tube in a little for clearance.

If you don't want to ding your headers up any, I suggest having a custom set built.

#18 · (Edited)
Hooker super comps, no beating, dinging, etc. Fit right in, it is tight but they fit as there are quite a few pics. and topics under the search function. '69 540. Most common mistake is incorrect frame mounts for the motor, part numbers listed in those topics also. They do hang low to the ground, only gave me about 3" clearance from bottom of collector to the ground but my car sits kinda low.

#7 ·
Spend the cash and get some one off customs, your heads if aluminum have raised exhaust ports. ans for 550 hp really a 1.875 tube will be fine. and your not going to rag on the car. so really header size is moot. hell just put the manifolds back on.....

#8 ·
I had custom headers made for my '64 to use with a big block and a 4-speed. If you get custom headers made, the shop will need the car with the engine to do it.

My headers cost $750 in mild steel and would have been $1,000 in stainless. I chose the mild steel though because I wanted to ceramic-coat them. They have 2-1/8" primaries with 4" collectors and are definitely "one of a kind".:)

#15 ·
At 550 hp you'd be in the 1.75" range for the primary tubes, 40+ inches long with a 3" collector. The smaller primaries will enhance the torque in the rpm range you spend the most time in. Hedman makes something you might start with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.