Chevy Nova Forum banner

car lifts

13K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  Dad&Lad 
#1 ·
Don't know if this is the right section or not. Any one have a car lift, what kind or type do you have.

#14 ·
#18 ·
Hmmm...indeed...saying that I only have these options...floor jack with stands...something like the product I mentioned....or take it somewhere....I don't trust the quality of the cement they use now a days for garage floors on new builds...end up like your pics above...no matter what named product used

#22 ·
I've got the Atlas 9K0H from Greg Smith Equipment. $1500 and I just went to Indy and picked it up. Pretty easy install and works good. I wouldn't want it in a production environment but as much as you use one at home it's great. I've had a crew cab 3/4 ton 4wd GMC on it and no worries.

#31 · (Edited)
lift

My brother worked at a Ford dealership that got out of the car business, closed their doors, and took some of the lifts to their farm tractor business where the lift set for 10 years. I told my brother that I needed a lift and he told me about a Rotary lift sitting in the field. I told him to tell his boss that I would give him $400 for one of the lifts, but there was only one left. He agreed, and I took my trailer down there to pick it up but the pump resovoir was gone and the unit had water in it. I told him I would only be able to give him $250 since I would have to rebuild the entire lift. I took it home, sandblasted the metal, sprayed on some etching primer and painted the lift with rustoleom. I purchased new safty cables, pump, high pressure hoses, and had the rams rebuilt. I have about $1100 in it and have been using it for 6 years with no problems. Its a 9000 pound lift and I love it, its build way better than most lifts you can buy today.

I had to raise the roof over the lift abot 4 feet to clear the rams. This part of my garage was a carport and I converted it to a garage and was easy with the flat roof. I was able to save the roof plywood, and ceiling beams. I was able to build a wall on top of the old roof on three sides 4 feet tall and build a new wall to the exterior 12'6'' tall to shed the water. I insulated the interior, rewired the garage, and installed beadboard plywood and stained it. The garage only cost a couple of thousand to upgrade, so I only have a little over $3k in the hole thing. It helps to be handy and have time to do it yourself.

Fresh of the roto

#37 ·
I started by buying a 4-post lift, which is good for doing pretty much everything but suspension work, unless you have the very expensive rolling jacks along with it. I sold it and bought a Rotary 9,000 LB asymmetric lift with drive-over pads instead of swinging arms. I love it! I'll never again work under a car on jackstands!

FWIW, Rotary is generally recognized as the "Cadillac of lifts." You should be able to find one used for less than $1500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.