Chevy Nova Forum banner

First time out in new Nova, any guess on E.T.

5K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  cdahl383 
#1 · (Edited)
My local track opens for test and tune March 22nd and I am taking my 74 nova out for its first pass at the strip. Does anyone have a similar combo and what kind of times did you run? I'm hoping for mid thirteens first time out.

-stock L-48 350 short block, worked 2.02 double hump heads, 292H Comp cam, 3000 stall converter, TH350 trans, 3:73 gears, Weiand single plane intake, full length headers into an x-pipe through turbo mufflers dumped at the rear end, and 26x8.5 MT ET Drags.

#8 ·
Only traction aids are CE traction bars, and CE drag shocks in the rear. I hope I prove you wrong as well. Car is full weight with bench seats, except the heat and A/C have been gutted, and I switch to the 72 front end to save weight.

#14 ·
:D:D:D All i'm saying is y'all are heavy:yes::yes:
3475 lbs. with me in my last 71 everyday driver and only car for 4 years of the 6 that I owned it. It went 11.60s in the quarter motor only. That was bench seat, jumper cables, spare tire, bumper jack, etc.. Yes us 3rd genners are heavy(the car not me(175 lbs.):yes:

#15 ·
3475 lbs. with me in my last 71 everyday driver and only car for 4 years of the 6 that I owned it. It went 11.60s in the quarter motor only. That was bench seat, jumper cables, spare tire, bumper jack, etc.. Yes us 3rd genners are heavy(the car not me(175 lbs.):yes:
Well dang that ain't bad at all

#12 ·
I have that same cam in my 355, with flat tops, i have angle plug 2.02/1.60 camel hump heads, with performer RPM air gap and holly 750.

But i have 4.11 and a 4500 stall.

I went a best of 12.72 when i got to 1/4 mile but since then i have picked up almost 2 tenths in the 1/8 so 12.40sh I also just have slapper bars but have slicks.

If you hook you should be good for a mid-high 12 if everything is tuned right

#23 ·
I had a few set backs with the car. Had to take the rear end out and have it rebuilt with a new posi unit and better axles installed. I also found out from a friend that the local track requires you to have a neutral safety switch so I had to put that on as well. I have a track date in 2 weeks and will let you all know.:D

#24 ·
Finally made it

I finally got the nova to the track and I will be investing in a cordless impact gun. Changing slicks at the track with extended wheel studs is a pain.

I was able to make 2 passes during a test and tune and I have some work ahead of me. I was only able to get E.T.s of 14.7 and 14.5 with 1.9 60 ft. The transmission was giving me problems. I have a TCI street / strip kit installed but it will not hold in gear when manually shifting. The trans wants to shift into second at 4500 rpm even when trying to hold it in first gear. I am confident the car will run high to mid 13's if allowed to rev to the desired shift points.

#25 ·
First time out in new nova, any guess on my E.T.

Hey Now at least you finally made it out to the track, Now the real work begins... Just be sure to write/record every change you make and include the weather at the time. Track temps, tire pressures, engine temps, Barometer, amount of gas in the tank, (its heavy) use a spiral binder, or simlar note book... Believe me you will not remember every thing you changed. Put your time slips in your records... staple it to the page with the changes you made... Good Luck on your quest to go Faster and Faster, and FASTER; It's a Disease that goes with Racing!!!! :):):):)Respectfully, "Bill's" II

#26 ·
Adjust the modulator valve to change your shift points. I've never had any luck adjusting those things though. I always end up putting a full manual valve body in my hotrods...that way you have perfect control of when the trans does what, either upshifts or down shifts. But I don't drive mine daily either.

My shop is in Lawrenceville so we're practically next door neighbors!:yes: Did you go to Commerce?

#27 ·
Yes i go to Commerce. You are right on the vacuum modulator. After I got home that night I re read the shift kit instructions and it says to use an adjustable modulator and I am running a stock modulator.

Additionally, I had the wife step on the throttle for me while I checked throttle cable travel and the factory throttle cable is not allowing full travel so I will be looking into an aftermarket throttle cable.

#29 ·
New best

I have a new best of 9.09 in the 1/8 which works out a 14.20 in the quarter. I still can't get my 60 ft. lower than 1.94.

Things I changed from my last track day:
Switched front chevy rally's to 15x4.5 Fenton r/t's and skinny tires,
Added summit drag shocks in the front
Advanced the timing
Adjusted shift points in the trans

#30 ·
Cool man, chipping away at your ET!

What are your shift points? 5500, 6000, 6500 RPM? I found I got the best ET by shifting 1-2 at 6500 RPM, brought my engine back to 4100 RPM or so in 2nd after shifting. If I shifted at 6000 RPM it dropped to 3600-3700 RPM out of the powerband a little.

I'm jealous man, I haven't taken my Nova up to the track since last July. I want to head up there once the weather cools a little in the fall. You're already pretty close to the 13's which is cool, keep at it!

#32 ·
What is your engine's redline? Are you shifting early at 5500 RPM or is that the true redline?

Based on what you're doing now with 26" tall tires, 3.73 gears in back, and a TH350 trans, you're shifting out of 1st at 45 mph and dropping from 5500 RPM to 3400 RPM when you go into 2nd (1st gear is 2.52 and 2nd is 1.52). If you wound out 1st to 6000 RPM you'd drop to 3700 RPM going into 2nd. It doesn't sound like much but if your engine makes its most power above 3500 RPM you dont want to drop below that if you can avoid. But you might not want to push it to 6000 RPM either.

What was the DA on the day you ran? Do you know what your track's elevation is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.