Chevy Nova Forum banner

Nova Newbie from NC

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  asteeler4life 
#1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to say hello & say that I'm a Ford guy who has a new project to work on. The car is a '71 Rally Nova and has been in my wife's family since it was new. Her father gave her the car about ten years ago & I have recently started to work to try & get it road worthy. The car was originally a 307, but we have swapped in a 350 with a few mods & had the TH350 rebuilt. The body is in decent condition & I'm planning to swap out the front drums for a disc setup from a '02 Firebird. I have a set of leather seats from a Contour SVT that we plan to use instead of the bench seat. I have my work cut out for me since I'm used to working on fuel injected vehicles, I have no clue about carbs! I think this site will be lots of help in getting the Nova on the road. My wife & father-in-law are excited that I have taken an interest in getting the old car going.

Great Site!

#8 ·
new dude

Welcome to the site, even if your a Ford guy you will like this site here, a lot of help and great builds. Nova's are cool, just traded my big 71 Gm 4x4 for my 67 Acadian a little over a month ago and haven't even drivin it, waiting for spring. Sounds like a nice build, post some pic's soon of any of it. Rick.:D

#11 ·
Blue Ridge Nova

Hmm... that trunklid and tail panel look suspect to me. Does it have any sugar, corn, or barley stuck in the crevices around the taillights, etc? Any aftermarket switches under the dash that let you turn on the headlights, but not the taillights?

#13 ·
Hmm... that trunklid and tail panel look suspect to me. Does it have any sugar, corn, or barley stuck in the crevices around the taillights, etc? Any aftermarket switches under the dash that let you turn on the headlights, but not the taillights?
The trunklid & trunk pan will both need to be replaced, not sure about the trunk panel yet. I haven't hooked a battery up to it just yet to see if anything has chewed on the wiring...I surely hope not, guess we'll find out soon enough

#14 · (Edited)
Just kidding about the trunk... dry sense of humor. I was implying the rust was a result of the car being used to haul bulk ingredients for moonshine mash. That's how North Carolina legends like Junior Johnson and Richard Petty got started, right?

Looks like you got yourself a great project car. I like Fords, MOPARs, and GMs, but I think it's hard to beat a Nova when it comes to aftermarket part availability and commonality. Carbs should be no trouble at all if you're proficient with EFI. Just get a tach, a vacuum gauge, and a flathead screwdriver.

#15 ·
Just kidding about the trunk... dry sense of humor. I was implying the rust was a result of the car being used to haul bulk ingredients for moonshine mash. That's how North Carolina legends like Junior Johnson and Richard Petty got started, right?
What can I say, I'm slow :doh: Thanks for clearing that up btw.....I'm just a city boy originally from Charlotte

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.