Chevy Nova Forum banner

Problems With Mini Starter

17K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  MR G 
#1 ·
I Have 62 Nova With 383 Stroker. I Just Got The Car Running. About 3 Months Ago. And So Far The Engine Has Broken 2 Starters. Firts From The Hausing Were Bolts Go And The Second One . From The Gear That Grabs On To The Flywheel. I Think Its Beacause Of The High Compression. Anybody Knows Whats A Good Starter For High Compression. Or What Are You Guys Using For Your 383. Help

#6 ·
Did you shim the starter closer or farther away? You can move the starter closeror farther away by the placement of the shims. You need to check the gap between the bendix and flywheels gears. A paper clip is about the right amount of clearance between the gears.
http://www.cvrproducts.com/starter_tech.html
Shimming Procedure:
Important: Most GM pad-mounted starters prematurely fail as a result of improper shimming, regardless of whether the old starter had shims or not, you must inspect the clearance of the new unit as it may or may not require shimming.
Before Installation: You must understand the need for proper starter to flywheel clearance. This “clearance” is critical to avoid damage to Flywheel, Starter Drive and Battery.
Why Shimming Varies:
1. Mounting pad tolerances and hole locations vary from block to block, this moves the starter drive gear away from the flywheel varying distances.

2. The mounting pad on the engine block dimensions vary. This also moves the starter drive gear away from the flywheel varying distances.

Step1 - Inspection: Remove lower flywheel housing cover and examine the entire flywheel for visual problems. (Worn, chipped or broken teeth; bent flywheel and/or incorrectly cut teeth)
Step 2 - Check Clearance: Insert a screwdriver behind the starter drive. Move starter drive assembly out toward flywheel so that starter pinion and ring gear teeth mesh.
Step 3 - Measure Clearance: Center the pinion tooth. Check clearance (looking for .025” - .060”). A convenient plug gauge is a common paper clip, which typically measures approximately .035”. Important - Check at least 3 ring gear locations 120o apart for proper clearance. Shim as required
at minimum clearance location. After measuring clearance, push starter drive back into original position.
Step 4 - Proper Shimming: To increase clearance: Use entire shim across both holes. .015” shim increases clearance approximately .0075”. This moves the starter down and out, away from the flywheel (use no more than 6 shims). To decrease clearance: Use 1/2 shim only on the outer mounting bolt hole from oil pan. This moves the starter in and toward the flywheel. .015” shim decreases clearance approximately .010”

#7 ·
Hey Thanks For All The Info. I Shimed It But The Starter Got Further Away From The Flywheel So I Took The Shims Out And It Got Closer And It Work For A Little Bit But Then Broke The Gear On The Starter. So You Guys Dont Thinks Its Caused By Hi Compression.

#12 ·
383 w/ 13.5:1 I use a summit high torque w/ no problem and i have a locked distributor at 36 degs of timing. Sounds like you have a mis alignment issue. The only issue i have ever have is the spring eventually weakens in the pinion gear and you must replace it but they sell a kit to do that. Its basically the same setup as a tilton just cheaper in price.

#22 · (Edited)
BUy one of these.........

80 to 90% of all the question you will ask are covered in this book reguarding how to do what to your car... these are professional grade manuals, easy to read, understand, step by step instructions, pictures and diagrams...

Please buy one.. its the best 20 bucks you will ever spend for your car...

I have Motors manuals from 1949 to 1987 and would not be caught with out them...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969...oryZ6762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973...oryZ6762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...ryZ34218QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

#24 ·
you will have to look at your Flexplate... if its neutral balance or if its external balance...

you need the Flexplate that is the same as the one you are removing...

you need to match the starter to the tooth count on the flex plate... cubic inch has no bearing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.