Chevy Nova Forum banner

Hey...where's the coil wire in my HEI wire set???

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  patman 
#1 ·
So I figure it's time to change plug wires, and I have this brandy-new MSD cap for my points-style distributor...with HEI style connections at the cap. Good deal, gonna upgrade to modern connections. Cool!

Gotta lie a bit to get what I need...hey parts counter guy, let's pretend it's a 77 Camaro. Back from the parts store, pop the hood, open the package...hmm... 8 plug wires, no coil wire.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

After some grumbling, it occurs to me...a real HEI has an integrated coil, and therefore needs no coil wire. :eek: :eek:

So...how do I get a coil wire? Are there any stock applications out there that have the HEI connectors, but include an external coil wire? Are the recent vintage GM small-body HEIs set up that way?

See less See more
#7 ·
Usually, aftermarket wires that come with the HEI style ends also have a coil wire and ends included in the kit. The guy in the parts store gave you just what you asked for. What brand wires were they anyway? Dave

#8 ·
Some original style GM HEI distributors had the coil seperate from the cap.

While searching junk years, I have seen them both ways -- Coil in the HEI and Coil not in the cap (like points style distributor).

Most were in late 70's chevy vans, 6 cylinder.

#9 ·
The trick is finding an original application that I can get wires for at the local parts place. I know...get an aftermarket set...but they're 2x as expensive, and I'm a cheap so-and-so...

Ignitionman sez: buy Borg Warner 'select' series 8mm wires. I'm trying!!!

#11 ·
as was said, a 6 cylinder had the coil on some mounted on the side of the block... have the counterguy look in the back of the buyer's guide/numerical list... the separate individual wires are available. prolly a special order, but shouldn't be a biggie.

at least it wasn't a big deal ta order years gone by...

#12 ·
Get the wires for a newer GM pickup like a 88 - 96 5.7.. It has the little cap like you have and an external coil.. the boots on the end should be the same.. If you get wires for the large cap GM HEI it wont have the coil wire.

Mitch

patman said:
So I figure it's time to change plug wires, and I have this brandy-new MSD cap for my points-style distributor...with HEI style connections at the cap. Good deal, gonna upgrade to modern connections. Cool!

Gotta lie a bit to get what I need...hey parts counter guy, let's pretend it's a 77 Camaro. Back from the parts store, pop the hood, open the package...hmm... 8 plug wires, no coil wire.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

After some grumbling, it occurs to me...a real HEI has an integrated coil, and therefore needs no coil wire. :eek: :eek:

So...how do I get a coil wire? Are there any stock applications out there that have the HEI connectors, but include an external coil wire? Are the recent vintage GM small-body HEIs set up that way?

G
#15 ·
Camaros also used the remote mounted coil setup for a smaller computer controlled EFI HEI for their V8 engines, later 1980's.

The Borg-Warner "Select" series of wires are just as good as any 8mm performance wire, and if purchased from an outlet called Pep Boys, they are lifetime warrantee.

What you are looking for is a wire that has magnetic suppression for the voltage medium, and "spiral" or "magna" core (shielding medium), which will give the greatest R/F shielding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.