Chevy Nova Forum banner

Electric Fuel Pump Mounting Location

17K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  270win 
#1 ·
I've been having issues with my mechanical fuel pumps. They have both been Holley 110gph models. Both died due to having fuel lines that were too small. I replaced all the fuel lines with 3/8" steel braid. Today I bought a Holley Blue electric fuel pump and I need to mount it as close to the tank as possible. Where and how have you guys been mounting your electric fuel pumps? Pictures would be great! I'm looking at fabricating a line that will keep the pump lower than the bottom of the fuel tank.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
You're going to have a less than ideal setup running an electric pump and a stock tank. The lines from the sending unit into the tank are anemic.

Electric pumps should be gravity fed. With a stock tank, you're gonna have to pull the fuel up and out of the tank.

Been there and done that. I sold the tank and installed a fuel cell.

#3 ·
Holley mechanical pumps flat out suck. If you want a real mechanical pump, get a Carter 172GPH. Flows 172GPH, puts out about 8psi so regulators need not apply, and has a huge -10AN inlet and -8AN outlet. If you're still hellbent on the electric pump, you should really sump the tank. Holley Blue pumps need to be gravity fed or it's life will be short lived and may have fuel starvation at the top end of the track. My friend Ed uses a stock tank without a sump with an electric pump and runs nearly in the 9s, but his pump is much better than a Holley Blue, and doesn't need to be gravity fed.

#5 ·
I fabricated a bracket that will mount the pump just below the bottom level of the tank. It'll go between the diff. cover and the front of the tank. I also removed the tank and installed a 3/8" pickup inside the tank to assure fuel flow without restriction. I'll post some pics when it's done. I bought the pump yesterday so I hope it turns out to be okay. My car is more like a 13 second car...

#7 ·
I almost bought a fuel cell but decided to open the tank and replace the pickup instead. The pump is now mounted and it look great. I ran out of time between work and halloween so I didn't get to finish plumbing the lines and wiring the pump in. Should have it running tomorrow. I'll get some pics tomorrow and post them here too.

#9 ·
Both died due to having fuel lines that were too small
I can't see why a small fuel line would kill 2 pumps, and a 13 sec. car should work just fine with a stock mechanical pump. I stepped up to a BG mechanical when my car was running mid 11's, but it was more than the car needed.

#12 ·
I don't know, the folks at Holley tech support seemed to think that it could cause the pump to fail. They said it needed 3/8" line to supply enough fuel to the pump. I agree totally that the mechanical pump is more than adequate for a 13 second car. The bottom line is that the pressure of each of these pumps was down to 2psi when I removed them. That's not enough to run my stock Chevy 1500 truck.

This electric pump mounted like I'm mounting it is more of that free advice from Jon Kaase's Race shop.

#10 ·
If you're drag racing and need gravity feed turn the stock tank around so the "sump" is in the rear.Mount the pump behind the "reversed" tank and go racing.This puts more weight to the rear also.:D Wheels UP!

RED67:chev:

#14 ·
Personally, if you are still using the stock tank, use a mechanical pump. I have been running a Carter 172GPH mechanical pump for quite a while. I even ran one on my dirt track car. I have 1/2 fuel line running from the fuel cell to the pump. I have run low 11's on 150HP nitrous with this setup and never had a problem.

I also had a Holley Blue for a while, and although I never had any problems with it, I got absolutely sick of listening to it. So off it came in favor of a mechanical pump.

The setup I am working on is going to keep the mechanical pump for the engine, and using a front mounted fuel cell with an electric pump dedicated to the nitrous.

Anyway, that is what I would do. Trying to pull fuel out of the stock tank with an electric pump is going to make the life of the pump very short.

#17 ·
No, the Carter pump does not require a regulator as it puts out only around 8psi. The only reason for a regulator is if you are running a quadrajet or similar low pressure carb. I've NEVER heard of ANY failures with the Carter 172GPH pump. Jeg's has it.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_159026_-1

To plumb the -10AN inlet to your -6AN lines, use a Jeg's part number 555-100223 -10AN to -6AN reducer, and if you use -6AN up to the carb use a Jeg's part number 555-100222 for the -8AN outlet. You do not need a filter before the pump, but a small free flowing screen type filter can't hurt. You do, however, need a filter after the pump. Don't waste your money on a lightweight pushrod because they are useless.

#35 ·
That's pretty funny...As I was typing this, I was saying to my self "Mike Goble is going to ask me to explain"...That's what I heard from somewhere, and it's not like me to post hearsay. i guess not, but really high fuel pressure certainly can't be good for it.

#30 ·
Yes, the floats were fine. But I did remove the needle and seat on the secondaries and cleaned them. That problem is now cured. And the new regualtor I bought is working fine too. But this Holley pump is getting hot and losing pressure after 5 minutes...what piece of crap! Once it cools off it's fine. I'm puttng a mechanical in today.

#31 ·
I had a BG 280 on my car go south. I got my new MagnaFuel Quick Star 275 the other day...talk about a BIG difference in quality. Although I haven't installed the new pump, I can see where it will be a much better pump.

#38 ·
No problem, I apologize for snapping back.

I'm just frustrated with this car. I did call Holley tech and they advised me to set the pump up that way. Basically the guy told me that as long as the pump was below the level of the pickup inside the tank that it would feed...like a syphon.(sp?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.