Chevy Nova Forum banner

Whats the best way to install valve cover gaskets?

32K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  68chevyll 
#1 ·
Whats the best way to install valve cover gaskets?Anyone got any good tricks to keep them from leaking?Also which are the best...Cork?thanks bm

#2 · (Edited)
I have a set of the blue Moroso gaskets i know are at least 5 years old. Never leak, and don't have to use any goop!
They have been off & on many many times.

Also your new AFR heads have raised gasket surface and a good machined area.

I say no gasket sealer needed. And get a quality gasket.

AL

#4 ·
If you have stamped valve covers usually I'll tack the gasket here and there to the cover's lips. Not too much though because it's a PIA to get off the cover then. Also some spreaders to spread the load helps.

If they're machined covers, don't sweat it, just get 'em on and tighten them down a little. I agree with AL also here, rubber type valve cover gaskets do a much better job and are reusable.

#5 ·
I dont remove my valve covers so once they are set Im fine. I use a very thin skim coat or gaskacinch (sp?) on both sides. Let it dry up completely then assemble. No leaks, but I have stiff valve covers too. JR

#6 ·
I have tried many a gasket, cork, Neoprene, MLS rubber steel, the felpro preformed rubber steel, many.... and always come back to the thick cork.... I use a skim coat of silicone on the cover, apply the gasket and lay flat with my motors manual on top over night...

#10 ·
I also like the extra thick Felpro (1/4") cork valve cover gaskets. I apply a thin bead of Permatex red to the valve covers and glue them on. Gaskecinch will work too. Only apply the stuff to the valve covers though or your gaskets will be a one-shot deal. You want them to come-off with the valve covers and not stick to the heads.

The thick gaskets are necessary with certain intake manifolds that interfere with the flange on the valve cover. They raise the cover up higher so the flange doesn't touch the intake when you tighten them down.

I remove the valve covers on my engines periodically to adjust valve lash and they come right off nice with the gasket in place on the valve cover. The gaskets last for years and can be removed many times. Best of all, the don't leak no matter what type of valve covers you're using.

#7 ·
The Fel-Pro rubber/steel have been on my last few engines (same set) no sealant needed. Stiff cast covers make a difference; my old Moroso lightweight stamped aluminum ones flexed so much they were hard to seal.
But in my slimeball engine compartment it's hard to tell where it comes from!!

#8 ·
I have done everything listed above also. What I found is that a good cast valve cover is the best start. They don't warp or bend when they are tightned down. The only sealant I use now is between the valve cover and gasket, but I also have aluminum heads with a nice flat rail. Don't over tighten the cork gaskets or they will split.

#12 ·
all the above work.

But one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the use of studs over bolts.

I have always used studs, place gasket on so the gasket is centered, palce cover on, tighten cover with nuts and washers evenly.

Or you can go with an LS motor which has a nice preformed press-in o-ring style.:yes:

#13 ·
i take a wire wheel or some fine grit sand paper or emery paper to the valve cover where the gasket is suppose to go wipe it off, and i apply a gneours amount of HI-TAK let it sit for a minue or 2 and put the gasket on and turnt he valve cover over and put a couple of weight thigns on top of it and let it sit for 10-15 minutes to cure and it seales the valve cover to the gasket then i use a thin film of axle grease or black rtv on the gasket to head side. never had one leak on me. also i do not tighten the snot out of them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.