Chevy Nova Forum banner

'64 V8 valve cover & air cleaner ?'s

9K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  CdnL79 Registry 
#1 ·
did any of the ChevyII V8 engines use the script covers?

if not, can i get a pic of a pair of stock '64-'67 valve covers? would they be the same style as the L79's, just painted w283/327 & hp rating stickers on them?

i'll be using the old style intake with the oil fill tube (PCV connected here). i have vented Vette covers... unsure if i'd like to use the stock style valve covers..

my air cleaner is an older Chevy w/single 4" oval inlet... like the L79 opening but only one... i can still see the factory decals, are the reproduction units actually Decals? or are they stickers? i don't want stickers, if these aren't decals, anyone have a source? i need the red 327 Turbo-Fire w/HP decal and also the PCV/Air filter decal that goes on the tube...

mine is on the tube, did they also put the decal on the front of the air cleaner lid/can assy?

Thanks... sure are a lot of silly questions about my NON original car, huh? :p

#9 ·
ah, they're not this purdy-purdy anymore, need ta repolish 'em. LOL! :eek: :rolleyes:

i have to clean up, repaint the engine... thinking about grinding off the accessory hole bosses to maybe try and make the heads look old school... i also have a '60's Q-Jet intake w/oil fill tube that i'm thinking of using (with a Q-Jet)

unsure yet what i'm going to do but i'd like it an old school, original style looking engine...

#10 ·
64 restoration

John,
I am curius about the correct valve covers for a 64 283 also. I have 66's but now have a 64 (wagon) for the first time. It is a 283 factory 4-speed. It did not have the correct intake and carb when I got it. I am going to put it back as a L77 option 283/220. I found a correct dated cast intake and Rochester 4GC carb. I would like to know the correct air cleaner. I was planning on using the scripted painted valve covers. I am also planning on using the same clutch, shroud and fan as the later L79's. I also need to know the correct oil fill cap. If any of this is incorrect, someone chime in. (I know the assembly manual does not include L77's on wagons, but who knows.)

Jerry in KY

#11 ·
Just going from memory, all 283's (not including Vette) had painted script valve covers. All 327's had the sculpted covers with the rectangular area for the hp sticker in the center, either painted or chrome, depending upon hp rating. I have never seen a factory 327 with the scripted valve covers nor a 283 with the scalloped covers. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

#12 ·
sounds correct to me... that's as i always knew it. but not being a ChevyII expert i wanted to confirm... i have a non original '64 that i'm kinda building as if it was re-built "back then"... so for me, i think i'd be OK using the Vettes, Scripts or the "Scalloped" (first i've heard em referred that way, i like it ;) ) covers...

even though it's a 350 engine, it could be a 283, 327... or whatever... ;)

#13 ·
You are pretty much describing what I ended up doing with my car. I couldn't find any evidence that the "scalloped" covers were used on a 283 so I chose I use some script covers. I found an old Edelbrock C3B intake that I powder coated chevy orange. It had a hole for the fill tube too, which I wanted. Then I modified an old 2bbl air cleaner to fit on an Edelbrock 1406. Some old camel humpers that came with the engine fit right in with a souped up 60's theme. Mine might have a few more pieces of chrome, but maybe it will give you an idea....

I was considering a vette louvered air cleaner too. Just options... :D

#14 ·
yeah, my air cleaner looks similar to your air cleaner... but the top ribbing is different. i'll have to get a pic of it. it was off my '66 Belair but unsure if it's factory. my Belair had gotten some "work" done on it by PO's and wasn't "factory" but had a 4GC carb on it... i found a 5-1/8" base off an Ol'Caddy and saved the 4GC air cleaner base for the carb & intake (if i ever use 'em).

my air cleaner top portion is ribbed in a way that the Turbo-Fire decal is incorrect, it wouldn't fit/lay flat... so i won't use it but i'll get the other decals for it to make it look somewhat stock if ya get my meaning. ;)

i'll get a pic of my stuff...

#15 ·
need ta clean up, repaint the engine,
change w/outlet, maybe change intakes,
need a water pump...
take a dolly & hammer a little on the air cleaner snout, blast it & paint it...
polish/clean-detail the covers...
collect/make/buy AC brackets for a Sanden(sp?) compressor...

#16 ·
64 script covers

My 64 came with a V8 from the factory (been in my family since the 60s). It had script covers. I think I saved the valve covers and air cleaner when I swapped in a 350 (283 broke a ring). Flyer, it you are interested in same "date correct" stuff I can dig them out and you can have them cheap. Send me a pm if interested.

#23 ·
yeah i double checked Alan Grove... just in case. ;)

they have something that works. i have a complete set of AC brackets for a Belair but one particular bracket won't bolt to the ChevyII exhaust manifold. so i'll see about getting a Sanden compressor for mock ups (when it's time) and i'll see what i have to do to get it mounted. i'd like to use a stock style, cast/forged bracket vs a flat piece of steel or billet aluminum. if i have to make one bracket but utilize a stock bracket also, i'll be ok with it... maybe. i dunno yet ;)

#24 ·
That's the first time I've ever seen the "scalloped" valve covers on a supposedly factory 283. This being a test car, maybe it had things not offered to the public, but the 283 decal sure fits the center recess well. Has anyone else ever seen a factory 283 with these valve covers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.