Chevy Nova Forum banner

Alernator Mounting Location

Alternator Mounting Location

6K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  muttdaddy 
#1 ·
I'm searching for the best location to mount my alternator, as well as, pros and cons to realated locations. I know some like it low to keep things looking clean up top. Do some of you have problems getting it installed low?

Pics are always a huge plus! :yes:

Looking for a poll too.
top left
mid left
bottom left
top right
bottom right

#7 ·
Anyone else? It certainly looks like the favorite is low! so what are any pros and cons between the driver side vs. the passenger side? the pics i've seen low on the driver's side looks REALLY tight. Is the passenger any better?

#11 ·
Bottom right...

I went bottom right for looks. I used March pullies and brackets. I had no difficulties with the install but I don't think I would have been able to go bottom left with the hoses, fuel pump and battery etc. in the way as other posters have suggested. Now that I am thinking of it if you had everything on the left it would look a little off cause you would have a big open space on the right.

Brian

#14 ·
I guess I'm just not quite there yet as I'm still gathering info and trying to do things the way I wany them the first time. Ya, I know...pipe dream, eh? Well I do know I'll be using:
CBR Radiator and short water pump
Deep cycle battery
Probably 140 amp alternator, at least 100 anyway
1st mechanical fuel pump, electric down the road
I'll never go the A/C or power steering route

I have to say the passenger side sounds good just because it's next to the battery...short cable.

Aren't the March brackets only for the long water pump?

#15 ·
One more thing...I guess I should have designated left and right. Originally I was thinking standing in front of the car looking at it which I would be backwards for the left/right. So I meant left=passenger and right=driver.

Oops :sleep:

#26 ·
What I used originally in mine was a power steering bracket for the lower mount and then just an alternator arm like you can find at just about any auto parts store to mount to the water pump. I have the short water pump. I already had the power steering bracket so that's why I used it. This worked well for me because I have camel hump heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.